Holy Old Thread Bump Batman!

I have purchased a plugin from the Invision Board Marketplace called Auto Lock Topics. It basically auto locks topics, and we've set ours for older than 90 days. 

Right now I have disabled the automated message all these locked topics will get because we have over 980K topics that will be locked, and thanks to me not thinking a bit more about the settings, some topics were bumped to the top of forums, which defeats the whole purpose 😛 They are now silently locked, and when the task has completed to 90 days ago I will enable a message that suggests a new topic be started, or to contact a moderator for unlocking (in certain cases we will allow this, like for returning seasons of TV shows etc).

Anyway just wanted to update you all on why some old topics from 2001 might be showing up on your feeds.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Can you make an exception for bumps from the OP? So if I post something after 90 days to the "New Me" thread, will it autolock?

the plugin doesn't seem to have those kind of settings (unfortunately) that I saw from Steve's screenshots of it so if needed you can message any of us and we'll open it back up.

threads like that one are why I asked the timer be set to at least 90 days instead of Steve's original thought of 30 :)

9 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Personally, I think older topics should just be deleted. Maybe the search function would work better then.

ya, lets not delete older topics. I love looking through old topics.

90 days since the last post i assume, not since the topic start?  LOL

yeah, some topics seem to be designed for long term, even if people don't post too often.  30 days would be crazy.   even 90 days is pushing it.

8 minutes ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

90 days since the last post i assume, not since the topic start?  LOL

yeah, some topics seem to be designed for long term, even if people don't post too often.  30 days would be crazy.   even 90 days is pushing it.

id say 1 year

22 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Personally, I think older topics should just be deleted. Maybe the search function would work better then.

That's actually not possible with the million+ posts on here. Would take week/months to sort through all the garbage. Better be closed than deleted, easier.

31 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's actually not possible with the million+ posts on here. Would take week/months to sort through all the garbage. Better be closed than deleted, easier.

At least you called it what most of it is, garbage. :)

I could see saving old topics if it was something that had to do with a computer issue or something similar and was marked as solved. Then it might help some one else out in the future.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

At least you called it what most of it is, garbage. :)

I could see saving old topics if it was something that had to do with a computer issue or something similar and was marked as solved. Then it might help some one else out in the future.

Well XP or even 7 stuff is no longer applicable... BUT... It may be for just a person who's looking for help with older hardware for say, retro gaming.

But that old "garbage" doesn't really need to be jumped from 10+ years ago. Even IF they have a problem.

26 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Or simply for nostalgias sake.

• 2 weeks later...