Disney+ pulls ‘Dumbo,’ ‘Peter Pan’ other films from children’s profiles over negative depictions

This has to stop. I'm all about respect, inclusion, diversity, but let parents judge these old works on their own and come to their own conclusions with their kids. It's not big brothers business on what parents want their kids to learn, teach in a home, entertainment setting. 

6 minutes ago, shockz said:

This has to stop. 

Yep, p*ssies going back and pussifying everything, is stupid.

24 minutes ago, warwagon said:

It's just so stupid, why is everyone so worked up over something that everyone was ok with for 67+ Years. Back then there weren't even any mass shootings. So I doubt Almer Fud and his gun were an issue.

Be vewy vewy quiet.

(And it's Elmer Fudd)

Ah yes. I remember watching these films as a child. They made me the bigot I am today(!)

What was wrong with having these films available to children with the warning at the beginning? Will they start removing Pixar films from the children's section?

48 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Will they start removing Pixar films from the children's section?

Probably. Dumb, so dumb.

I think half of today's issues are that parents are putting a god damn screen IN front of their Childs face probably before they are 1 year old. It's sad when I'm walking through Walmart and you see a kid, in a cart, sitting in a stroller holding a cellphone next to their face.

While I'm never having children, I would like to think I wouldn't put a phone next to their face.

image.png.4b33ac0fb5f4410844bb580c35fb3e07.png

1 hour ago, shockz said:

but let parents judge these old works on their own and come to their own conclusions with their kids

Which surely they have done by moving these into a section whereby the onus of decision is put upon the parent and not the child?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, shockz said:

Sigh 

You can't fault him, that's exactly what they have done with this move. Rather than the child stumbling across the film without the parents knowing, the parents now have to decide if they want their child to watch the film, and they have to decide if they want to talk to their child about the representations within the film.

3 minutes ago, Dick Montage said:

An eloquent response indeed

I think the issue is this change makes it so parents don't have to "choose". They can continue to ignore what thier kids are doing on the service because by default these "controversial" movies won't be there.

It also means the answer is to get mad at the service for making certain things available rather than getting involved in what thier kids are consuming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who really gives a rat's ass?

I bought most of those movies either on VHS, or DVD.. and there's nothing anyone can do to censor it.

All I'm seeing here is people bitching about something that doesn't affect them directly. Those that called others snowflakes, are here in this thread needing a box of tissues because of a Disney movie that does nothing to pay their bills, now has a warning on it about being made in a time that was stagnant, in a world trying to change itself for the better.

But.. if posting about it on a forum Disney will never see, helps you sleep at night... by all means, here.. get it out of your system.

kimberly-clark-kleenex-facial-tissue-tissues-white-box-of-48-model-21606.jpg

5 hours ago, shockz said:

This has to stop. I'm all about respect, inclusion, diversity, but let parents judge these old works on their own and come to their own conclusions with their kids. It's not big brothers business on what parents want their kids to learn, teach in a home, entertainment setting. 

Those are Disney created movies. They own them. They have every right to market them anyway they want or pull them due to the content. Or do you think outside interests should be able to dictate what a company does with their own IP?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

All I'm seeing here is people bitching about something that doesn't affect them directly. Those that called others snowflakes, are here in this thread needing a box of tissues because of a Disney movie that does nothing to pay their bills, now has a warning on it about being made in a time that was stagnant, in a world trying to change itself for the better.

But.. if posting about it on a forum Disney will never see, helps you sleep at night... by all means, here.. get it out of your system.

Welp, we may as well close all the forums except for the IT help sections then, and disable commenting on news articles. Those places are there for discussions to be had, no one would expect change to come about from the discussions that are held there.

The Internet would become a much quieter place if we removed discussions, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Who really gives a rat's ass?

I bought most of those movies either on VHS, or DVD.. and there's nothing anyone can do to censor it.

kimberly-clark-kleenex-facial-tissue-tissues-white-box-of-48-model-21606.jpg

Sure it's just Disney, but it's also an indication were society is heading or maybe already is. It's Depressing.

32 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

The Internet would become a much quieter place if we removed discussions, that's for sure.

Personally, I think doing this is going to be necessary sooner or later... The internet has become something it was never meant to be, and most of the fault lies in social media.  Too many morons have a voice now and they have no filter on their brains.

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

It's just so stupid, why is everyone so worked up over something that everyone was ok with for 67+ Years. Back then there weren't even any mass shootings. So I doubt Almer Fud and his gun were an issue.

argumentum ad antiquitatem

• Like 3

The appeal to tradition in a nutshell:

It was ok 67 years ago, it must be ok today. 

Therefore:

It was ok to have characters randomly shooting guns when angry then, it's ok to have that now.

It was ok to racially stereotype people 100 years ago, it is ok to do that now.

It was ok to own people 250 years ago, it is ok to do that now.

You ever think that maybe, just maybe it wasn't okay back then? Maybe It was a cheap laugh for a cartoon that was done without the authors thinking of the long term ramifications of their actions?

Was it funny? Sure. Did I grow up with it? Sure. Is it something that I would put in a remake series now? Absolutely not. Would I stop adults from being able to watch (or show) the originals? Never.

Edited by Joe User

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Welp, we may as well close all the forums except for the IT help sections then, and disable commenting on news articles. Those places are there for discussions to be had, no one would expect change to come about from the discussions that are held there.

Where do you think all of this started?

It didn't start when people first got cell phones. Hell.. it didn't start when people were living it up in Yahoo chat.

And what you're governing over in a text forum, are those still crying over things they cannot change because THEY ARE THE REASON things are changing. 

You are causing the very change you're complaining about here in these forums.. and then taking it to Twitter and Facebook, joining the countless, faceless mob wanting the world to be more inclusive, yet cry over spilt milk.

No one is going to change the past. You can't do that... it's not possible. Yet here we are, listening to those crying because they've been told people are doing just that.

No.

Companies are doing what they can with their OWN property to help where they can, in an ever changing, chaotic disaster of a planet with billions of screaming voices... all shouting to get things spinning in their own direction. If Disney wants to warn young viewers they may experience scenes of racism, or possible bigotry in their earliest of films, humorous or not.. they have a right to do so.

If the publishers and owners of Dr. Seuss want to remove books with blackface characters, they have the right to do so. (There wasn't even this much heat when they tried to remove Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer / Uncle Tom's Cabin from libraries)

If the govt of state or fed levels want to remove racist statues and put them in museums, they have the right to do so. 

Despite the world changing around us, it falls on the parents of their children to guide them... not industry. Not politics.

I didn't say to not have discussions here, I clearly stated this simple text:

"Why are you crying in a forum that no one can make a difference in?"

If you think this is crazy... step back for a moment. When you've been quiet long enough, you see the hypocrisy of the term "snowflake".

So... when you get time, maybe people here can answer the question:

"How do I make the world a better place, yet keep all those things: racism, sexism, bigotry alive and well at the same time?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, warwagon said:

I think half of today's issues are that parents are putting a god damn screen IN front of their Childs face probably before they are 1 year old.

No... sh&t parents have been around for a lot longer than mobiles have, its just the new thing people blame rather than the parent. When I was younger it was watching cartoons and video games and no doubt before my time it was all the *modern* music that was blamed but no its all down to crap parents that dont care.

Years ago parents would set their kids outside and no give a damn about what they were up to for hours on end and then blame phones for why kids are bad now.

All of this racism crap is LEARNED, it comes from family most of the time, very very young kids have no concept of it.

Now at a very very young age cartoons depicting racism can cause some to normalise it but its usually not a huge issue because the parents give a damn and sort it out but when you have a percentage of the population who glorify these attitudes it leads to terrible kids.

This precludes the fringe cases where kids have true psychological issues but when you have the crazy people out with nazi uniforms and white supremacy out kids will turn out to be racist because they have learned it from those parents.

Disney gating this makes no difference to parents who want to show it to their kids, it just prevents very young kid stumbling on it and the parent not being informed. I, as a parent, dont care and am quite happy to show my kids dumbo etc knowingly that questions about xyz may come up and I can answer them rather that being blindsided by it.

If more parents gave a damn about their kids proud boys wouldnt be a thing and neither would nazi'sm but sadly those parents were not brought up right by the generation before them and now Trump has galvanised those people into thinking their stance is valid.

Its not disneys fault or mobile phones its those people you think we should leave alone to do their job, they are doing a sh^t job....

• Thanks 1

I am against this I am against censorship of any form instead Hollywood is deciding what is okay or not to watch for us when it should be the job of the stupid parents.  Either way it least it was not removed not like kids don't access adult section since most parents are not really smart enough to use restrictions.

People need to learn from History even if it is wrong so it will not repeat in the future this movies are like from the 30s and 40s if anyone with a brain know during those times the racist depictions was part of those eras.

Too much WOKENESS is getting annoying I understand most things from right or wrong but please stop forcing your BS on me I respect everyone but when you get all culty....well you get what I mean.

3 hours ago, TsMkLg068426 said:

I am against this I am against censorship of any form instead Hollywood is deciding what is okay or not to watch for us when it should be the job of the stupid parents.  Either way it least it was not removed not like kids don't access adult section since most parents are not really smart enough to use restrictions.

People need to learn from History even if it is wrong so it will not repeat in the future this movies are like from the 30s and 40s if anyone with a brain know during those times the racist depictions was part of those eras.

Too much WOKENESS is getting annoying I understand most things from right or wrong but please stop forcing your BS on me I respect everyone but when you get all culty....well you get what I mean.

There is absolutely no censorship here. There is simply putting the onus of decision making onto those who are capable of making said decision. By your own comments you suggest that people should have known that racism was part of those eras - sorry, kids don’t.

As for what is forced upon you: do you have Disney+? If you do then I assume you have an adult profile? So literally nothing changes for you. Why are you acting like such a snowflake/victim over something that changes nothing for you?

On 13/03/2021 at 15:16, techbeck said:

Pepé Le Pew under fire as well.

That one makes sense IMO; Pepe is the epitome of unwanted touching / rape culture and that's not needed in a cartoon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brandon H said:

That one makes sense IMO; Pepe is the epitome of unwanted touching / rape culture and that's not needed in a cartoon.

How much of Pepe have you ever watched? Because in the episodes where he doesn't stink, that little cat is the one all over HIM and HE is the one trying to get away...

Modern culture is reading something into an old cartoon that were never put there by its creators.  It was only ever about the comedy of a stinky skunk trying to get a girl and being terrified of them when he GOT one...

11 hours ago, Dick Montage said:

There is absolutely no censorship here. There is simply putting the onus of decision making onto those who are capable of making said decision. By your own comments you suggest that people should have known that racism was part of those eras - sorry, kids don’t.

As for what is forced upon you: do you have Disney+? If you do then I assume you have an adult profile? So literally nothing changes for you. Why are you acting like such a snowflake/victim over something that changes nothing for you?

Wow who is the snowflake here really?  You must not understand censorship how many ways can something be censored but as I stated it least did they did not remove it.

So do you approve the editing done to Simpsons on Disney+?  What is the point when the editing done to the Simpson where there is humor?  If you can't take a joke go be a Soy Boy somewhere else.

Sorry that you don't get the part where I said Racism was part of the era but never said kids should know that is the parents job to teach their kids about racism but it seems like you rather let someone else do the job for you.  Are we back at blaming Books, Games, Movies, TV Shows and Music for all the stupid things people say or do?  This is typical GQP and Liberals deflect or not take accountability for their actions whether as a parent or a politician.

Thank god Wokeness wasn't around Game of Thrones so much or when Robocop movie came out in the 80s people just can't separate facts from fiction and right from wrong.

Either way I am no snowflake but you seem triggered and the only snowflake there are in this those who approve censorship of any form.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TsMkLg068426 said:

Wow who is the snowflake here really?  You must not understand censorship how many ways can something be censored but as I stated it least did they did not remove it.

So do you approve the editing done to Simpsons on Disney+?  What is the point when the editing done to the Simpson where there is humor?  If you can't take a joke go be a Soy Boy somewhere else.

Sorry that you don't get the part where I said Racism was part of the era but never said kids should know that is the parents job to teach their kids about racism but it seems like you rather let someone else do the job for you.  Are we back at blaming Books, Games, Movies, TV Shows and Music for all the stupid things people say or do?  This is typical GQP and Liberals deflect or not take accountability for their actions whether as a parent or a politician.

Thank god Wokeness wasn't around Game of Thrones so much or when Robocop movie came out in the 80s people just can't separate facts from fiction and right from wrong.

Either way I am no snowflake but you seem triggered and the only snowflake there are in this those who approve censorship of any form.

You are literally triggered by Disney movies and yet call me a “soy boy”. This is utterly amusing.

You clearly need to grow up, understand what censorship is and is not, and come back when you’ve got over Dumbo.

• Facepalm 2