No TPM? No Windows 11 for you!

Just found out I won't be upgrading, the requirements include a TPM module (even if you don't plan on using Bitlocker). I'm still using my Asus Maximus VII Ranger which does not have a TPM module. It does have a slot for a TPM module but it's TPM-L 2.0 (20-1), NO-ONE sells the module anymore, the only ASUS ones that seem to exist now are TPM-M (14-1)

If you want to check if you have a TPM module, run tpm.msc and good luck.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

A lot of modern CPUs support it in firmware, no chip needed.  You'd just need to enable it in the UEFI.

So running tpm.msc would only tell you if it's currently enabled, not if it's there at all.

If you have a modern CPU (after Haswell, which is 4th gen) then you will most likely have it in your CPU. Most motherboard manufacturers have Trusted Computing turned off by default, this is my AORUS Z390 Pro WiFi board (which is 8th and 9th gen):

snag-0021.png

The TPM Module has additional hardware based encryption for your Windows install and data on the harddisks. If you have a TPM Module, then you will have to clear TPM each time you want to clean install Windows on your system. (I am still learning how it all works).

You have no idea how quickly I have come to hate the phrase "TPM"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xenon said:

You have no idea how quickly I have come to hate the phrase "TPM"

Better than TPS.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Just found out I won't be upgrading, the requirements include a TPM module (even if you don't plan on using Bitlocker). I'm still using my Asus Maximus VII Ranger which does not have a TPM module. It does have a slot for a TPM module but it's TPM-L 2.0 (20-1), NO-ONE sells the module anymore, the only ASUS ones that seem to exist now are TPM-M (14-1)

If you want to check if you have a TPM module, run tpm.msc and good luck.

I just bought a Asus TPM-M R2.0 module that is supposed to be TPM 2.0 from amazon (us) for $15. It is 14 pin. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DQQLH74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My two desktops have a Intel i7-4790K which apparently have TPM 1.2.

But Microsoft says you need TPM 2.0 so I guess I will not be able to upgrade the simple way?

I guess I will need to install Windows from an ISO on a USB and remove the "appraiserres.dll" entry?

If I do it this way will my copy of Windows 11 still activate using my Windows 10 key?

Unless you have a very modern PC this is really going to make a lot of users upset having to go the extra mile getting Windows 11 installed :( 

Why Microsoft why??????????????

2 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I just bought a Asus TPM-M R2.0 module that is supposed to be TPM 2.0 from amazon (us) for $15. It is 14 pin. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DQQLH74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or you could have saved the money and used the BUILT IN TPM that ALL moderns processors already have.

1 minute ago, corrosive23 said:

Or you could have saved the money and used the BUILT IN TPM that ALL moderns processors already have.

A module also offers far more protections for security minded individuals.

The weird thing is that the tool says that my computer isn't compatible yet I can't really think of any reason why that would be the case.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

AMD Vega 56

MSI Pro VH A320 Plus

The TPM is switched on, I've been using it since the day I built the PC for BitLocker so it's obviously working. UEFI and Secure boot is on so I don't really know what the issue is there. Of course the tool doesn't really give any useful information.

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

In what manner?  Honest question, this is the first I've heard of that.

Just now, Vince800 said:

The weird thing is that the tool says that my computer isn't compatible yet I can't really think of any reason why that would be the case.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

AMD Vega 56

MSI Pro VH A320 Plus

The TPM is switched on, I've been using it since the day I built the PC for BitLocker so it's obviously working. UEFI and Secure boot is on so I don't really know what the issue is there. Of course the tool doesn't really give any useful information.

Secure Boot disabled?

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

I wonder if that DLL also removes checks for the DirectX 11 because I think in some cases you can upgrade the firmware to give you TPM 2.0 ... integrated graphics are going to be more of a bitch.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Secure Boot disabled?

Nope. Definitely enabled.

5 minutes ago, corrosive23 said:

I am using a i7 7700k on asus prime z270-a I have cant find anything in my bios with tpm. You know a way please post it. 

4 minutes ago, Xenon said:

I am using a i7 7700k on asus prime z270-a I have cant find anything in my bios with tpm. You know a way please post it. 

Look for the PTT (Intel Platform Trust Technology) option.

Just now, SidVicious said:

Look for the PTT (Intel Platform Trust Technology) option.

Thanks I will check. Right now. :D

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Secure Boot disabled?

GIGABYTE_GC_TPM2_0_S@@gzzg37.jpg

I don't know, tell me why a motherboard would have a TPM 2.0 Module header if the board only supports CPUs where this is already built in?

Just now, Steven P. said:

GIGABYTE_GC_TPM2_0_S@@gzzg37.jpg

I don't know, tell me why a motherboard would have a TPM 2.0 Module header if the board only supports CPUs where this is already built in?

Legacy? In the event a CPU manufacturer decided to be an ass and not include it? Because not everyone knows it exists and they can suck more money from people? I don't know exactly why, but I don't see how it would be more secure. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Legacy? In the event a CPU manufacturer decided to be an ass and not include it? Because not everyone knows it exists and they can suck more money from people? I don't know exactly why, but I don't see how it would be more secure. 

DOUBLE TPM? (like Bacon Double Cheeseburger)

Just now, Steven P. said:

DOUBLE TPM? (like Bacon Double cheeseburger)

WHOA!  That was almost a TRIPLE TPM! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

(let me know if the reference escapes you :p)