Darkside is no longer default on the main news site [Update]

The main page is now set to Darkside by default, I did this on the forums months ago, and no-one complained :p 

Every time I view the site as a guest I feel like my face is burning off

MilkyConsciousEuropeanpolecat-max-1mb.gif

Hopefully with the darker theme new guests will stick around longer and explore the site a bit.

SNAG-0027.png

You can choose Orion (the white theme) through the theme toggle at the top of the Sidebar

SNAG-0029.png

Members can also use the member dropdown in the header navigation.

I also tweeted about it:

Follow us! (we're also on Facebook).

After years of reading, I finally registered because there doesn't appear to be any way for unregistered readers to turn off "dark mode". 

Are you really so hungry to add registered users? 

Edited by dfleiss
correction

On 07/08/2021 at 00:42, dfleiss said:

After years of reading, I finally registered because there doesn't appear to be any way for unregistered readers to turn off "dark mode". 

Are you really so hungry to add registered users? 

Did the pictures up above not help at all?

I know we can't make everyone happy with some of the decisions we make but it is possible to toggle themes even when you are logged out

SNAG-0009.png

It is remembered too if you allow our cookies.

• Steven P. changed the title to Darkside is now (also) default on the main news site [Update]

Light mode is now (once again) default on the main site and forums, thanks to guests now being able to select light and dark on the main site and forums, this follows after about a week of seeing lower visitation across the site, when light mode was set back to default on Friday, visits went up again.

On 06/08/2021 at 20:36, SnoopZ said:

I wish i could keep it in the light colour it is a pain to have to keep changing it back, not everyone likes Darkside.

Nudge 😛 

• Thanks 2

• Steven P. changed the title to Darkside is no longer default on the main news site [Update]
  • 1 year later...

I seem to be seeing a hybrid of Light and Darkside on the main page, on mobile interestingly, where the menubar/sidebar (I'm not sure what it would be called) is dark, unlike in the forums.

And yes, I too prefer the light theme, since it's easier on my eyes (I tried the Pro theme, and while it is not quite my cup of tea (I prefer blue accents), it certainly looks like it's going in great directions (and I wonder how a variant of it with blue accents would gate against the standard light theme, I would like that).

On 29/10/2022 at 21:54, moriel5 said:

I seem to be seeing a hybrid of Light and Darkside on the main page, on mobile interestingly, where the menubar/sidebar (I'm not sure what it would be called) is dark, unlike in the forums.

And yes, I too prefer the light theme, since it's easier on my eyes (I tried the Pro theme, and while it is not quite my cup of tea (I prefer blue accents), it certainly looks like it's going in great directions (and I wonder how a variant of it with blue accents would gate against the standard light theme, I would like that).

Sounds like your cache is messed up. We do not have a light/dark theme and there is no sidebar on Mobile.

You should clear your cache/cookies for Neowin. What browser and device are you seeing this on? Up till a certain screen width, there's not even a sidebar on tablet mode, so if you are seeing that then you must have desktop mode enabled on Mobile.

On 29/10/2022 at 21:07, Steven P. said:

Sounds like your cache is messed up. We do not have a light/dark theme and there is no sidebar on Mobile.

You should clear your cache/cookies for Neowin. What browser and device are you seeing this on? Up till a certain screen width, there's not even a sidebar on tablet mode, so if you are seeing that then you must have desktop mode enabled on Mobile.

I too have always had this on my phone but not tablet, so will try clearing cookies.

Edit

Clearing cookies and cache hasn't fixed the issue?

Edit 2

The hamburger menu on the right looks like a completely different menu on my phone compared to tablet all the options are different. 

Screenshot_20221029-223741_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Edited by SnoopZ

Bollocks I unticked desktop mode on tablet and now the menu has gone and I can't get it back so annoying, it's like my phone but in white, basically no useful options.

Edit 100

The menu is white in landscape but black in portrait.

So if I don't have a usable menu on mobile now how do I go about changing the theme if I wanted to? I wish I had the first image view back it looks perfect.

Edit 101 lol 😆

If I go into the forums the menu comes back and also it appears white and useful on mobile, so it appears it's the front page that's not consistent with the theme, is this intended or a bug?

Edited by SnoopZ

On 29/10/2022 at 23:07, Steven P. said:

It cannot be the cache, as I always have it cleared in exit.

Regarding the sidebar/menubar, I'm just not sure what is the correct term, it's the menu that appears when I press the hamburger button.

I see the same exact result as what @SnoopZis showing with what I can tell to be Vivaldi on a Samsung phone.

I am currently browsing via SmartCookieWeb Preview (prerelease version of a Gecko-based browser, so it should appear the same as on Firefox) on a Razer Phone 2.

Browser version: 17.0 (69)

Engine version: 103.0-20220705185846

OS version: 9

Also, for some odd reason, the Neowin logo at the top left corner fails to render for me, regardless of where I am on the site (the actual link to the main page works fine).

Screenshot_20221030-013408.png

On 29/10/2022 at 23:31, moriel5 said:

It cannot be the cache, as I always have it cleared in exit.

Regarding the sidebar/menubar, I'm just not sure what is the correct term, it's the menu that appears when I press the hamburger button.

I see the same exact result as what @SnoopZis showing with what I can tell to be Vivaldi on a Samsung phone.

I am currently browsing via SmartCookieWeb Preview (prerelease version of a Gecko-based browser, so it should appear the same as on Firefox) on a Razer Phone 2.

Browser version: 17.0 (69)

Engine version: 103.0-20220705185846

OS version: 9

Also, for some odd reason, the Neowin logo at the top left corner fails to render for me, regardless of where I am on the site (the actual link to the main page works fine).

Screenshot_20221030-013408.png

Try via the forum, it's white for me.

On 30/10/2022 at 01:50, SnoopZ said:

Try via the forum, it's white for me.

Thanks, although as I had said, it's also white for me in the forums, just black (same as what you showed) on the main page.

Edited by moriel5
Corrected Autocorrect.