What was the last movie you watched? (2022 edition)

Nosferatu (1922)

8/10. If you are in the mood to watch a old movie. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 09:19, Xenon said:

Nosferatu (1922)

Back in the *pre-home video* days of the 1970s, I had a Super 8 print of this wonderful film (NOSFERATU 1922), and I must have run that thing a dozen times or more, in my little $100 per month California apartment. FUN! :) 

• Like 2

Tried to watch The Uncanny (1977) yesterday, but the DTS soundtrack didn't work through my Emby/home theatre setup for some reason. So I ended up watching:

127471.png

Everything Everywhere At Once (2022) wasn't great, not terrible either, why does it have such a high rating on IMDB, just because it is commercial?

IMDB: 8.6 (huh?!)

Stevie rating: 7 (I thought it dragged on a bit too long and the plot was a bit weak).

uncanny.jpg

I encoded it as AAC today so I will report back with my rating.

IMDB: 5.9

Stevie rating: 🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱 (thoroughly enjoyable! But I feel they cheaped out on some of the production value).

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 18:38, Dick Montage said:

The original or the terrible 90s remake?

The terrible remake. But come on, Liz Hurley as the devil... :laugh:

On 23/05/2022 at 10:57, Nick H. said:

The terrible remake. But come on, Liz Hurley as the devil... :laugh:

You appear to have misspelled "is" as "as"... :p

• Like 1

So.   Top Gun Maverick.    8/10,  9 out of 10 if you're a big fan of the original and get all the call backs.    I happen to be one and this movie hits you emotionally a few times.    Totally worth it in IMAX for sure.  

• Like 2

The original THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951). I try to watch it at least once a year, unless I find that it is airing on broadcast tv (I don't have cable or streaming, just a digital antenna on top of a high bookcase); as to what's airing on tv and what I watch, I'd rather leave it up to the fates and watch whatever is on at the time that I might enjoy. I know, very prehistoric, huh? ;)

The original TDTESS is probably the very first film of any kind that I saw as a kid (and can recall), that had a major effect on my 8 year old mind. It was first aired on broadcast network TV on NBC, in November 1962. Watched it with my mom that night in 1962, and she appreciated the film and enjoyed it as well. Me, I hid behind the couch whenever the robot Gort appeared along with the ominous Bernard Herrmann music score.

I caught TDESS last week on the MOVIES! channel, and watched again for the first time in a year. It never disappoints!

• Like 1

Project Almanac  (2015)

On 27/05/2022 at 08:30, nerim said:

The original THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951). I try to watch it at least once a year, unless I find that it is airing on broadcast tv (I don't have cable or streaming, just a digital antenna on top of a high bookcase); as to what's airing on tv and what I watch, I'd rather leave it up to the fates and watch whatever is on at the time that I might enjoy. I know, very prehistoric, huh? ;)

The original TDTESS is probably the very first film of any kind that I saw as a kid (and can recall), that had a major effect on my 8 year old mind. It was first aired on broadcast network TV on NBC, in November 1962. Watched it with my mom that night in 1962, and she appreciated the film and enjoyed it as well. Me, I hid behind the couch whenever the robot Gort appeared along with the ominous Bernard Herrmann music score.

I caught TDESS last week on the MOVIES! channel, and watched again for the first time in a year. It never disappoints!

If you liked that, can I recommend The Day the Earth Caught Fire?  I feel confident that you'd enjoy it greatly. :)

You can find the full movie on YouTube easily enough...

I just saw Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, and I totally disagree with the other guy.  I thought pretty much everything about it was great!  Some people complain about the length, but I'm pretty sure that's just another element of the comedy...At several points, it fades to black, seemingly ending, but no!  It fades back in and there's still quite a bit to go.  Classic!  The only thing I'd hope for is a more adult-rated cut on 4k Blu-ray.  I saw the original cut in previews (screening for rating), and one or two things were changed to qualify for an R.  Did anyone really expect a Margaret Cho movie to be streamlined (LOL).

On 28/05/2022 at 16:21, Michael Gariti said:

I just saw Everything, Everywhere, All at Once, and I totally disagree with the other guy.  I thought pretty much everything about it was great!  Some people complain about the length, but I'm pretty sure that's just another element of the comedy...At several points, it fades to black, seemingly ending, but no!  It fades back in and there's still quite a bit to go.  Classic!  The only thing I'd hope for is a more adult-rated cut on 4k Blu-ray.  I saw the original cut in previews (screening for rating), and one or two things were changed to qualify for an R.  Did anyone really expect a Margaret Cho movie to be streamlined (LOL).

Margaret Cho isn't in or has anything to do with that movie though.  I think you have your Asian actresses mixed up maybe?

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 05:20, FloatingFatMan said:

If you liked that, can I recommend The Day the Earth Caught Fire?  I feel confident that you'd enjoy it greatly. :)

Absolutely, I know The Day the Earth Caught Fire, and have seen it a few times over the years! Truly a great film! And it's also one of the few older sci-fi films that my late wife watched with me and was impressed by. I believe the DVD is stashed in her collection of personal favorites in her home office, so I will look for it there soon and certainly watch it again. Thank you for the reminder! :) 

PS: I just ordered the Blu-ray on Amazon! 😁

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hustle (2022).   It's your average sports themed movie but I give it a extra point for going out and actually using real NBA players and coaches.  It's full of who's who in there. 

7/10 but only because it's been done so much already and doesn't add much new to the formula. 

I watched quite a few movies while my folks were over last week, but last night I watched Beavis and Butthead do the Universe (2022)

Was really good fun and I liked the idea of

Spoiler

their 1998 selfs being transported to 2022 and them having to deal with the changes that have happened since then.

There's going to be a series revival soon, I wonder if they will continue from the events of the movie, seems like a good way to bring them back from the 90s.

If you liked and watched them back in the 90s you will not be disappointed by the movie.

On 26/06/2022 at 05:45, Steven P. said:

I watched quite a few movies while my folks were over last week, but last night I watched Beavis and Butthead do the Universe (2022)

Hide contents

their 1998 selfs being transported to 2022 and them having to deal with the changes that have happened since then.

There's going to be a series revival soon, I wonder if they will continue from the events of the movie, seems like a good way to bring them back from the 90s.

If you liked and watched them back in the 90s you will not be disappointed by the movie.

What the fax. I have to watch it. Now. It is stupid. I am not proud of it. But the 2022 thing got me.

On 22/05/2022 at 12:19, Xenon said:

Nosferatu (1922)

Noo no no. I wanted to explore classics ..

No thank..will not do such stupid thing again.

I mean if you are an antique lover.... 

Anyway .. there are a ton of classics that are subjectively better then this stale old fart 

I do understand the irony of having Beavis and Butt-Head in the same post.... Lol

Just got back from watching Elvis.  Good film.

First time at cinema for 22 years.  Last film I watched was Blues Brothers 2000.

Seven Samurai. 

8/10.  I personally think it is overhyped but still really good. The criterion collection blu ray is really good. 

On 26/06/2022 at 04:45, Steven P. said:

Hide contents

Loved it. The ONLY thing it was missing for me was:

They should have sat down to watch MTV and been like, "Where the ###### are the music videos?".

On 30/06/2022 at 17:47, McCordRm said:

Loved it. The ONLY thing it was missing for me was:

Hide contents

They should have sat down to watch MTV and been like, "Where the ###### are the music videos?".

Agreed!

• 3 weeks later...

Lightyear , it was pretty average in the end.    6/10 at best IMO.  

Watched a couple of older classics last week: The Third Man (1949) and Double Indemnity (1944). I was surprised a little coz I thought I'd be bored but I absolutely loved them (for the most part).

Jurassic World Dominion.  6/10 at best.  I honestly had no investment in the story or what was going on.  And some of the CGI looked janky to me.  I hope this is the end.  They really don't need to keep it going. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.b0204cc9d6df6435b92abbe4ede3502f.png

I watched Sex Appeal on Hulu last night. It was an OK movie pretty predictable.

Sex Appeal IMDB rating 5.3

My Rating 5/10

BBQ Rating 5/5

it definitely "Checked all the boxes"

Spoiler

One issue I had with the movie, was the message it was giving to teens. She is a nerd who is in a long distant relationship.  Her BF told her over a video call that during this "Nerd Prom" coming up that he wants to take the relationship to the next level and F**ck. She's never done anything sextual in her life, so he gets her best "male" friend to help her practice. She sucks his dick, makes him c##, he eats her out, makes her c##, and they had the discussion beforehand that because they aren't actually going to have sex that she isn't cheating on her boyfriend. That was the only message they conveyed. 

• Haha 1