KFC potatoes

In Kenya the KFC franchise have been facing hard times due to the fact that they import potatoes from another country instead of buying from the local farmers. Does KFC in your country do the same?

On 15/01/2022 at 09:47, Munyua44 said:

In Kenya the KFC franchise have been facing hard times due to the fact that they import potatoes from another country instead of buying from the local farmers. Does KFC in your country do the same?

Not all potatoes are suitable for making good fries, a lot depends on their starch (high) & moisture (low) content. In North America this makes the russet a favorite. In the UK & W. Europe, the maris piper is another option. Not being familiar with Kenyon varieties, I can't really comment about if they're even suitable for commercial preparation compared to others.

Unfortunately, there are more problems in the worldwide potato market than just variety and those quality issues,

https://modernfarmer.com/2022/01/potato-shortage-french-fries/

• Like 2

On 16/01/2022 at 18:46, DocM said:

Not all potatoes are suitable for making good fries, a lot depends on their starch (high) & moisture (low) content. In North America this makes the russet a favorite. In the UK & W. Europe, the maris piper is another option. Not being familiar with Kenyon varieties, I can't really comment about if they're even suitable for commercial preparation compared to others.

Unfortunately, there are more problems in the worldwide potato market than just variety and those quality issues,

https://modernfarmer.com/2022/01/potato-shortage-french-fries/

is there a place I can get relevant information on how to grow irish potatoes that are suitable for the chips in order to meet the required standards?

On 22/01/2022 at 05:46, Munyua44 said:

is there a place I can get relevant information on how to grow irish potatoes that are suitable for the chips in order to meet the required standards?

I'm curious... Why do you want to help a fast food company?  Their fries are NOT good for you!

On 22/01/2022 at 02:06, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm curious... Why do you want to help a fast food company?  Their fries are NOT good for you!

Are they any worse than British chips? 

One of the worst parts of fried potatoes has been the use of trans-fats. US companies are banned from using trans-fats.  Many other nations have followed.

Now they need to lower the salt content. A little is tasty, but some makers use enough to melt ice on your driveway.

On 22/01/2022 at 20:25, DocM said:

One of the worst parts of fried potatoes has been the use of trans-fats. US companies are banned from using trans-fats.  Many other nations have followed.

Now they need to lower the salt content. A little is tasty, but some makers use enough to melt ice on your driveway.

I don't recall defending chips either...  I'm just curious as to why the concern over a fast food mega-corp...

On 22/01/2022 at 14:48, FloatingFatMan said:

I don't recall defending chips either...  I'm just curious as to why the concern over a fast food mega-corp...

I think its more on the "Support local" side. Although unhealthy, people are still going to eat it and if they are locally sourcing their ingredients, its a boost to the whole community. Outside of local businesses though, most major chains will use whatever they can get the cheapest, even if that's importing every last thing they sell.

On 22/01/2022 at 10:06, FloatingFatMan said:

Am a potato farmer and my potatoes have not been getting good market. Am focused on how I can meet the standards and demands on the market. My ambition for farming cannot allow me loose hope even though I have been undergoing looses after every harvest. 

On 22/01/2022 at 15:25, DocM said:

Umm I'm pretty sure it's the US that followed other countries on that one, not the other way around.

• Haha 1

On 23/01/2022 at 06:30, Munyua44 said:

Am a potato farmer and my potatoes have not been getting good market. Am focused on how I can meet the standards and demands on the market. My ambition for farming cannot allow me loose hope even though I have been undergoing looses after every harvest. 

Ah, that explains it then, thanks.  I hope you're able to improve your situation.

On 23/01/2022 at 05:37, Dick Montage said:

As an aside: in the UK it is commonly accepted that of all the fast-food restaurants, KFC has the worst chips. Cold, flavourless, soggy…

That sir is universal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2022 at 02:09, theefool said:

I make my own fries/chips using local grown potatoes.  It is stupidly easy to make it at home.

And they will be vastly superior to anything you can get in a fast food or joint, or even most restaurants.

Sea or kosher salt, please.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 01:22, E.Worm Jimmy said:

And deep fry them in tallow or duck fat!

Not such a big fan of either, preferring Canola for most use.

If using an oil other than Canola I prefer peanut oil. Very high smoke point (450°F), and it doesn't promote flavor transfer so you can fry more than one item in the same oil; no fishy flavor on fries, etc.  Peanut oil works great  for fried chicken and cornbread fried catfish (yum!!) 

• Like 2

I hate sweet potatoes... damn yank ❤️ 

Kidding aside, I actually do hate sweet potatoes, never liked them and almost gag anytime I eat them.

Can't beleive I'm gonna say this but @DocM regardless of our political views, one day hop over to Point Edward, ON and we'll have some fries on the Canadian side of the river, theres an awesome chip truck parked near the blue water bridge.

On 25/01/2022 at 00:16, Matthew S. said:

I hate sweet potatoes... damn yank ❤️ 

Kidding aside, I actually do hate sweet potatoes, never liked them and almost gag anytime I eat them.

Huh... on this side we do sweet potato fries, sweet potato pies (a popular alternative to pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving), straight up roasted, all kinds of stuff. Just roasted some last night for dinner. Little butter, little cinnamon...