Have you upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

Simple question :) 

Windows 11 has been out for almost a year and a half now and already has one major update in version 22H2, but there are holdouts like myself. There just isn't a compelling enough reason to update for me, and the update actually removes some productivity related things I'm attached to with Windows 10, such as not having to open multiple context menus to do basic File Explorer tasks, or the missing seconds in the taskbar clock, and the extremely dumbed down taskbar and Start menu.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my reasons, and you don't have to, but I hope you will all be respectful of each other in the replies.

In case you found this thread on its own, this is linked from the front page poll asking:

Have you upgraded to Windows 11?

• Yes, from Windows 10
  • Yes, via new hardware
  • No, sticking with Windows 10
  • No, other reason

Here are the results from the previous poll.

image.png

You can vote on the new main page poll here https://www.neowin.net in the right sidebar.

Voted that I'm sticking with Windows 10. Even if I met the requirements, I see no reason to move to Windows 11. Any troubleshooting that I have done for clients using Windows 11 has been a bit of a headache, I don't know why I would inflict that on my own system. :laugh:

On 15/01/2023 at 10:11, Nick H. said:

Voted that I'm sticking with Windows 10. Even if I met the requirements, I see no reason to move to Windows 11. Any troubleshooting that I have done for clients using Windows 11 has been a bit of a headache, I don't know why I would inflict that on my own system. :laugh:

This, exactly.  Pros do not outweigh the cons.  It's a half-baked attempt at an OS, when one wasn't needed.

On 15/01/2023 at 08:29, Steven P. said:

Simple question :) 

Have you upgraded to Windows 11?

• Yes, from Windows 10

also

• Yes, via new hardware

Just tired of messing with software, going back and forth like playing musical chairs on computers.

While I prefer 10, I'll likely have to go to 11 eventually anyway...some day. 🙄

• Like 2

No, sticking with Windows 10.

I have ancient PC's around the house. Nothing is compatible with W11, except a couple of PC's, which can officially run W11. I've tried W11 out unofficially, and it's not a great experience, and not much to gain from W10. 

BTW, I don't see the poll on the main page.

• Like 2

Still in 10, I hate the taskbar changes in 11, and there's  no big features to pull me away from 10, that are enough to make me accept the new taskbar.

I don't want to install a third party taskbar, as a) it's not really an answer and b) MS may break support for them

... these pertain to me...

• Yes, from Windows 10  (my notebook)
  • Yes, via new hardware  (the desktop I put together a few months ago)
  • No, sticking with Windows 10  (my HTPC for now)

eh...Windows 11 is fine.  No big gripes, couple of minor annoyances...but in the end it is rock solid (stability/system wise, just like 7 and 10).

Sticking with Windows 10 on the desktop and moved the laptop to Linux with a view to eventually abandon the spyware show and inking ship completely.

1. I don't want an adware operating system
  2. I don't want MS account
  3. I don't want telemetry, Bing or Edge integration or another cyclical generation of do nothing, go nowhere Bing cookie drop widgets (CDF channels > vista aero widgets > metro > modern app > w11)
  4. I detest the new start menu,  taskbar, right click nonsense and more
  5. I don't want to pay to louse it up with third party tools to play the cat and mouse game of MS trying to out-fox anyone who dares have a different vision every patch Tuesday

Yes, I initially upgraded as a separate profile with dual boot but soon uninstalled Windows 10.

Upgraded second PC from Windows 10 a week later.

Was initially disappointed by the Start Menu but that's been resolved now folders are available and layout is flexible. Love the new Settings app; so much text!  Notifications took a little learning but the overall experience of Windows 11 means greater focus and productivity for me.

I liked the simplicity of photo editing in the revised Photos app but missed the simplicity of video editing from the Windows 10 version. Very pleased Photos legacy is now available on Windows 11. Clipchamp has some lovely features but it's cumbersome.

Being able to convert almost any website on the net (via Edge) into a simple to use web app and pin it to Start has revolutionised my working.

I have no reason to return to slow and confusing Windows 10 with so many inconsistencies!

I work with older people in Tech. 99% of my clients that have upgraded to Windows 11 absolutely love it, although I do need to tweak their systems to suit their needs, all choose the new way of doing things over the old.  The smaller more focused updates are a real improvement.

#SeeTechMoreClearly

#WindowsInsider

#EdgeInsider

On 15/01/2023 at 23:56, SnoopZ said:

My hardware isn't supported so I'm on Windows 10 still.

Maybe have an option in the Poll for Hardware not supported?

That would be No, other reason. :) 

• Like 1

I have friends and relatives who don't want to try 11, or have tried it and want to go back to 10. I understand as I've been there. So I end up helping them go back to 10, or install 10 on their newer hardware. 

I still have one machine running 10 at the moment, in part so they can see 11 and compare it to 10, as it helps them decide. 

In any case, the whole changeover has been a pain in addition to the pandemic. 

I do wish MS would have just left 10 alone, to be honest. 

Still, I'm running both, but mostly 11 on my machines.

🥱

I haven't, I'm still on 10. I've tried 11 in a VM but I really didn't see any reasons I would want to switch and quite a few reasons I don't want to. Windows 10 still does everything I need really well and it will be supported for years to come so why change it? I figure by the time I do need to upgrade Windows 12 will be out; hopefully it will be more appealing.

• Like 2

I am one of those adventurous people that is on the "Insider" builds.  Have been since before Windows 8.1 I think.  Using the latest Developer build of Windows 11,  and doing fine with it.

• Like 2

Yes at home, mainly for the much improved HDR support, absolutely not at work where I  am a network admin and rely on being more productive! As you say I just don't think there's a compelling reason to upgrade as things currently stand, it feels as though the Gold Release of Win 11 was a beta and 22H2 was what the original launch should have really been.