Have you upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

I voted no, for other reasons, mainly being the 2 computers I had Windows 11 on weren't supported and after an update I was told that, so reinstalled my system images of Windows 10.

I did like Windows 11 for the 3-4 months it was installed though. Not going out of my way to do anything to try and upgrade computers though. I'll be running Linux on everything once Windows 10 dies.

• Like 2

12 systems at work Win 11, all upgrades from 10. No issues. 3 on Win 10 because of incompatible CPU.

2 at home Win 11, 1 an upgrade from 10 1 came with 11. No issues.

On 15/01/2023 at 11:11, Nick H. said:

Voted that I'm sticking with Windows 10. Even if I met the requirements, I see no reason to move to Windows 11. Any troubleshooting that I have done for clients using Windows 11 has been a bit of a headache, I don't know why I would inflict that on my own system. :laugh:

This for sure.

Hello,

I have some new computers running Windows 11, but most of my primary-use systems are running Windows 10.

Windows 11 does have some useful default security features, but some of them also happen to be present in Windows 10 as optional features to enable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Windows 11 is bloatware.  Ads, widgets, Edge integration; it repulses me.  I'll run 10 until my PC dies, and after that it's either Linux or start drinking Apple's Kool-Aid.

I have 4 working Windows machines at the moment, 3 on 11 and one on 10. I mostly hated 11 at first, but as things got sorted out (and I got used to it), eventually I became more comfortable using it. There are still some things that annoy me, but I can usually deal with them. I will use 10 though, on a big project I've been working on for a couple of years. I've thought about going with Linux (just to simplify my life), but the software I am used to working with is Windows only. I also tried Macs a few times, starting with the very first iMac (Bondi Blue), but the Macs all ended up going to friends (or in one case, a "frenemy")! 😉     

On 17/01/2023 at 10:29, cmcgregor80 said:

Are ads normal in your country for windows 11? I don't have a single one. Is it an american thing? Plus What linux distro will you use to avoid bloatware? Don't tell me Ubuntu or Mint or any of those bloated distros. Plus you shouldn't drink apples kool-aid they have a browser included in their OS too. Linux also usually comes with a browser. You could go mobile but iOS and Android have their browser integrated into the OS so not sure what you're gonna do, unless its not the browser integration you hate but edge. You could of course use a worse version of it by google or join the 20 people still using firefox.

I don't see any ads either, no clue what these complains are about.

On 17/01/2023 at 12:03, nekrosoft13 said:

I don't see any ads either, no clue what these complains are about.

They're talking about the nags for Microsoft hooks, i.e logging into one drive, using a microsoft account, subscribing to office. Telemetry, etc...

Basically, complaining about nothing.

On 16/01/2023 at 22:00, PluralGrey said:

Windows 11 is bloatware.  Ads, widgets, Edge integration; it repulses me.  I'll run 10 until my PC dies, and after that it's either Linux or start drinking Apple's Kool-Aid.

Dude, just turn all that crap off and stop whining. Yes, you might see an Edge icon appear on your desktop or be encouraged to subscribe to Microsoft 365, but I get this on Windows 10 as well. Life is to shots to have a cow about this crap.

Hate the 11 interface, and the fact everything seems to take more clicks\effort to do in 11 than previous versions, several PC's that support it, but only running it on a non-supported system for insider and testing.

On 15/01/2023 at 12:59, nerim said:

While I prefer 10, I'll likely have to go to 11 eventually anyway...some day.

Maybe not. Windows 12 might be out by the time Win10 'expires' in Oct 2025 and they will probably get that one right.

but that seems to be the norm since at least Win98 to date with Microsoft with good/bad/good/bad pattern and Win11 is on the 'bad' cycle currently and appears it will remain that way as it does not seem like Win11 will reach the wide adoption that Win10 has.

p.s. hell, there have really only been three dominate OS's from Microsoft over the last 20 years or so... WinXP/Win7/Win10.

On 18/01/2023 at 08:06, Dadwen said:

Hate the 11 interface, and the fact everything seems to take more clicks\effort to do in 11 than previous versions, several PC's that support it, but only running it on a non-supported system for insider and testing.

If that's true, all the more reason I am glad I don't use Win11.

which is why I am also of the mindset I don't like change for the sake of change as the more time proven core interface we have had for ages (pretty much since 1995 with Win95, although maybe a bit more recent on some level with addition of the basic search function of the general menu for programs which I want to say started on Vista off the top of my head) on Windows should not be screwed with as once something works well, you just don't screw with it. tweak it, maybe (like minor visual changes etc is okay but core function should remain basically the same). but definitely nothing that's going to make things more difficult to do.

I don't know about everyone else but when I load programs I either do it from a desktop icon or generally press the windows key and then start searching for the program (like usually the first two or three letters or so is enough to highlight the program) and then press enter to load it (or if more than one program comes up it's quick enough to press up or down arrows to highlight it) since it tends to be the quickest to load up this way. anything that fails that very basic standard would just be a disaster if you ask me. I don't know whether Win11 fails here, since I never used it, but given what you say, even if it's not as major as what I just mentioned, it appears things are a step backwards given what you said.

• Like 2

To me, the answer to this is kinda similar to questions about what I want in a phone or a car - something simple that works.

For my OS, I don't want to spend time stuffing around with it. I don't want to install third party apps to get it to work how I want, I don't want something pretty that requires more steps to do basic functions. I just want something lean that does the basic tasks I need to do and for me, that is Win10 (I use the LTSC version). At some point if Microsoft adds specific functionality to Win11 that I can't live without, or shelves Win10, I will swap over. At the moment Windows 11 feels like a bunch of shiny stuff to attract the people who like the shiny stuff, and that is ok too.

Tried Windows 11 21H2 and 22H2 for a short time but still feels like Windows 10 1507 and 1511 and 1607

Went back to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 and Windows 7

I'd go with Windows 8.x than use Windows 11 in its current state

• Like 3

Microsoft seems to have forgotten that Windows is nothing more than a platform to do the stuff that I want with, it doesn't need all these extra features, what it needs is a powerful clean UI that lets me get on with the tasks I need to do

• Like 3

I upgraded when it was released, no issues and using Windows 10 actually feels quite outdated to me now. Just started working on a Windows 11 deployment too so over the next year I'll be using Windows 10 less and less. Ultimately though the OS is the platform I use to run programs, I'm not going to be 'loyal' to any of them. I use Windows, Mac OS, Linux & iOS, they all have their pros and cons but ultimately it's the programs I want to run (or for Apple, the hardware).

• Like 2

On 21/01/2023 at 02:14, NinjaGinger said:

I will never downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I like myself too much.

It's not a downgrade, it is the lack of accepting change. Accepting change is psychologically an important part of a healthy mind. Just because you can't move the taskbar to all four corners of the screen or the lack of available choices in the context menus doesn't mean that it is a downgrade. The context menus are like that because the apps you install don't like the thought of change either. Looks like you are partially fighting your own kind.

On 21/01/2023 at 19:38, jesseinsf said:

It's not a downgrade, it is the lack of accepting change. 

Sorry but when the changes make you less productive then it is not a user fault. Stop being an apologist for a megacorp that's out of touch and pushes bad ideas on end users that they ultimately are forced (at least in part) to backtrack on.

Are they really back tracking, I saw the leaked windows 12 and somehow it was even worse