Have you upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

As a regular Win10/11 and MacOS user they all have their frustrations, simple things like copying files are much more polished on Windows as are window management and the modern options around Terminal. Where MacOS absolutely shines is in standby/battery useage on laptops where I absolutely wouldn't go back to the power drain that is Windows!

On 23/01/2023 at 16:40, adrynalyne said:

You mean like the Feedback hub that is regularly ignored?

I will take something that doesn't change a lot in the looks department as long as the quality is there. MS has lost the plot on both. Inconsistent looks and they do not have quality. Oh and they use random people for their QA, that they then ignore. What could go wrong?

Leghumping MS is not going to accomplish anything; they deserve to hear and feel the criticism where possible.

Whining and complaining like what we see in these online forums is like a little child nagging mommy for that toy or candy in the store while crying until they get their way. Does Microsoft listen to the spoiled brats? No, they don't. They listen to constructive criticism and properly reported bugs and suggestions. Also, a lot of people do not know how Microsoft wants us to report bugs and suggestions as they never read the bug reporting rules. No company will listen to spoiled little brats. If we want to be heard, then we must play by the rules, or nothing will ever get done.

On 24/01/2023 at 05:40, jesseinsf said:

Whining and complaining like what we see in these online forums is like a little child nagging mommy for that toy or candy in the store while crying until they get their way. Does Microsoft listen to the spoiled brats? No, they don't. They listen to constructive criticism and properly reported bugs and suggestions. Also, a lot of people do not know how Microsoft wants us to report bugs and suggestions as they never read the bug reporting rules. No company will listen to spoiled little brats. If we want to be heard, then we must play by the rules, or nothing will ever get done.

Do they listen to the ones who whine about the whiners?  :ermm:

On 24/01/2023 at 04:40, jesseinsf said:

Spoiled brats? Dear lord, where do you come up with this stuff? Wanting quality from MS makes people spoiled brats? Wow. 

Also, no they don’t listen to bugs and constructive criticism. It took them OVER A YEAR to fix a button with misaligned text that I reported. I reported it before the OS was GA. It wasn’t until i complained on multiple forums and Reddit that something was done about it. Another is the whole missing animation for virtual desktop switching via keyboard shortcuts. I reported it as buggy and non-performant way before GA. Their response? Oh we will remove it. Now we have virtual desktop switching with no good visual cue, even to this day. But wait, there is more! They left the buggy animation in for trackpad gestures. They didn’t even get that right. 

Edited by adrynalyne

On 24/01/2023 at 03:58, Jaybonaut said:

Do they listen to the ones who whine about the whiners?  :ermm:

LOL, the purpose of the post was not for Microsoft. I was stating the obvious as you guys still have not gotten your way. So, my suggestion is either try another way to get their attention or just jump ship and adopt another OS platform.

On 24/01/2023 at 04:30, adrynalyne said:

Spoiled brats? Dear lord, where do you come up with this stuff? Wanting quality from MS makes people spoiled brats? Wow. 

Also, no they don’t listen to bugs and constructive criticism. It took them OVER A YEAR to fix a button with misaligned text that I reported. I reported it before the OS was GA. It wasn’t until i complained on multiple forums and Reddit that something was done about it. Another is the whole missing animation for virtual desktop switching via keyboard shortcuts. I reported it as buggy and non-performant way before GA. Their response? Oh we will remove it. Now we have virtual desktop switching with no good visual cue, even to this day. But wait, there is more! They left the buggy animation in for trackpad gestures. They didn’t even get that right. 

LO, BTW, I was stating the obvious as you guys still have not gotten your way. So, my suggestion is either try another way to get their attention or just jump ship and adopt another OS platform.

Upgraded, then downgraded to Windows 10 few weeks later. Both, usability and performance disadvantages compared to Windows 10, some of it maddening. New desktop shell UI is plain bad. It is really slow less usable and frustrating. Windows explorer drove me mad how slow it was. Edge kept on popping back downloading itself and taking over previously registered file types with applications that I use...and so on.

I was aware that Windows 11 was bad, but not this bad.  

• Like 2

On 24/01/2023 at 05:40, jesseinsf said:

On 24/01/2023 at 08:27, jesseinsf said:

LOL, the purpose of the post was not for Microsoft. I was stating the obvious as you guys still have not gotten your way. So, my suggestion is either try another way to get their attention or just jump ship and adopt another OS platform.

LO, BTW, I was stating the obvious as you guys still have not gotten your way. So, my suggestion is either try another way to get their attention or just jump ship and adopt another OS platform.

only one being childish here is you.

Microsoft has not honored their end of the deal with the Insider program and Feedback Hub and that's that. They want people to report issues and suggestions specifically in the Feedback Hub yet they flat out ignore most of it. If they want us to be the testers then we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get heard when reporting issues. and yet look where we are today with Windows, a hobbled mess of inconsistency that they seem to have no intention of fixing. They'd rather work on things that no one has asked for such as bloating up Edge and making setting default apps less user friendly.

On 24/01/2023 at 07:27, jesseinsf said:

Oh, I see you think we are simple enough that we only  criticize here. Riiiiiiight. This is the only place people criticize MS🙄 

The funny thing is, some people do jump ship and when people talk about it or giving others alternatives, you criticize them too. Or maybe you are shallow enough that you just criticize me. Hard to tell, could go either way.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2023 at 16:03, Brandon H said:

They'd rather work on things that no one has asked for such as bloating up Edge and making setting default apps less user friendly.

Don't forget desktop stickers, or notepad tabs!

• Like 3

initially through unsupported HW (i7 5th gen) / No TPM

then i made it an excuse to upgrade since I am not getting official support LOOL, jumped to 12GEN i5 with far more core than my initial CPU 10 (logical would be 16 cores actually) vs i7 6 cores. 

forgot to say i changed my screen which i had from windows 8 day  , boosting now HDR + 1440P

On 24/01/2023 at 08:27, jesseinsf said:

my suggestion is either try another way to get their attention or just jump ship and adopt another OS platform.

Oh that explains everything.  You think these are the real limits to the options at hand.  

No wonder.

Given the amount of feedback that customer gave over the taskbar, I honestly think that Microsoft would need to make massive changes to implement the feedback due to how it's coded and they're just afraid to admit that.

My server and laptop can't upgrade to Windows 11 without a format... Not interested in doing that. So i'm sticking with Windows 10 as my desktop too, for now..

On 25/01/2023 at 08:45, Andrew Lyle said:

My server and laptop can't upgrade to Windows 11 without a format... Not interested in doing that. So i'm sticking with Windows 10 as my desktop too, for now..

just curious, what's preventing you from upgrading without a full format? unsupported hardware or something else blocking upgrades?

On 25/01/2023 at 08:41, The Rev said:

I've been on Windows 11 since launch, and even on this 3 year old laptop it runs like buttah...  😛

The Ui seems to run a bit smother and snappier  than Windows 10, but then I thought Windows 8/8.1 was snappier than Windows 10., which is why I wanted to move it to my Ryzen machine for my old bulldozer, but Microsoft had different ideas.  sioftware don't run any faster, sometimes it may have the illusion it does, but it doesn't.  If I render a video in Windows 10, it takes the same time in Windows 11, put a filter on a photo in Affinty photo and again the same time in Windows 10 and 11. 

On 25/01/2023 at 14:45, Andrew Lyle said:

Maybe the machine is not so compatible, maybe try Rufus to make an installation image

On 25/01/2023 at 11:54, ad47uk said:

The Ui seems to run a bit smother and snappier  than Windows 10, but then I thought Windows 8/8.1 was snappier than Windows 10., which is why I wanted to move it to my Ryzen machine for my old bulldozer, but Microsoft had different ideas.  sioftware don't run any faster, sometimes it may have the illusion it does, but it doesn't.  If I render a video in Windows 10, it takes the same time in Windows 11, put a filter on a photo in Affinty photo and again the same time in Windows 10 and 11. 

It depends what software.  With productivity software, probably not.  For the most part, any given OS upgrade doesn't change much there.

Games in window/borderless window mode run faster.  Certain features like Auto HDR and BypassIO don't exist in 10.  Hybrid processors have the new scheduler to work with.

And, since win10 is out of mainstream support the feature differences will grow every year.

On 25/01/2023 at 18:08, chaos mage said:

It depends what software.  With productivity software, probably not.  For the most part, any given OS upgrade doesn't change much there.

Games in window/borderless window mode run faster.  Certain features like Auto HDR and BypassIO don't exist in 10.  Hybrid processors have the new scheduler to work with.

And, since win10 is out of mainstream support the feature differences will grow every year.

A lot of people use productivity software, I know a fair few myself, but more of them are switching to Macs, but those who are staying with Windows have no desire to change to Windows 11 because it will not make a difference to what they do.  In time, they may buy a new computer, but some do build their own or get me to, not that I do that much these days, can't be bothered.   Microsoft would no doubt love to get people that use productivity software using Windows 11. I know the games market is also large, i play a few games, but not really a games player and i know for sure that Windows 11 is not going to make a scrap ofg difference to the ones I play. I have not really looked into HJybrid processors, I know they use different cores for different things, the M1/M2 CPU is a hybrid CPU, so are the ones in peioples phones. But I have not really looked at how they work, I suppose I had no need to and still don't really, but later on this evening when I have nothing to do I may have a look at what they do and hpow they work.  I feel very few people will bother about HDR on a computer, Auto or otherwise, for a while unless they have the monitor to cope with it. Just to be nosey I have just had a quick look on Amazon UK for the prices of HRD monitors, the first one that came up was an Asus 27 inch for nearly £650, the second was another Asus, but a  42 inch for £1,300, that is a lot of money for a monitor. I spent £350 on my Acer BM320 monitor in 2019, Never realised it was that long ago, anyway, it is a great monitor, 32inch 4K and I thought then that is a lot of money to spend on a monitor.  I know somone who paid a lot more than that for their monitor, nearly 3 grand and that was a few years ago, but they used it for professional graphics stuff.  Most people i know would not spend a lot of money on a monitor, even avid games players as long as they can see the other person running around on the screen trying to shoot them, and it is decent quality, I doubt your average games player care about HDR.

I admit until a moment ago, I had no idea what Bypass IO was, now I looked, and it is to do with direct  storage, again I wonder if it is something that the majority of people will use, or care about. Again it is something else I need to look at, not because I am going to update my computer or use Windows 11, but I am just curious. 
There used to be a time when I used to keep up with all this stuff, but as I get older I think what is the point, most people I know stick to what they have these days and others have gone over to the dark side, something which to be honest I have been thinking about for a while. The dark side is Apple by the way :). The new Mac mini m2 is a powerful machine in a small case that is efficient . Sure I have some ifs and buts about it, the fact that you get what you get and that is it, while the storage can be extended via thunderbolt, memory can't and also if something like the SSD goes belly up then that is a problem.  But one of the SSD in this machine is over 8 years old and have been  used for temp storage for a video editor for a couple of years now and is still fine.  The other thing is do I really want to pay nerarly a grand for a small box that sits onmy table, then there is getting used to the different ways Mac OS works.

Anyway, as i said these days I don't muck around with computers like I did, this machine is  five years old and apart from giving it a clean last week, the case has not been opened  for over 12 months, I have added no hardware for 2 years. I used to update my computers every 2 years and people I know used to do the same thing, which is why I was always building other people's machines and my own. So yes, i have got out of touch with what is happening. Oh I did rebuild a computer last week for a colleague, but we went backwards in technology as we had to replace the board and CPU with something he already had

What I have been trying to say, is most people will not give a monkey about what Windows 11 offers., I know a couple who still use Windows 7 and have no intention of updating form that, no matter what I say
sorry about the long post

On 26/01/2023 at 02:54, ad47uk said:

What I have been trying to say, is most people will not give a monkey about what Windows 11 offers., I know a couple who still use Windows 7 and have no intention of updating form that, no matter what I say
sorry about the long post

My point wasn't that those specific features would be useful to you or even that they are the only ones, but that they'll start to add up to why win10 is going to lose traction.  Especially among new machines of course, that was always a given, but anyone who prefers a better OS under the hood.

(Nearly everyone uses productivity software on that note.  I was just saying it likely wouldn't run notably faster.)

• 1 month later...

I've been running Windows 11 on my desktop since the original Insider release.  The inconsistent UI and the downgraded taskbar were annoying, but I worked around them.  I got used to right clicking the start button for Task Manager, for instance.  I went and bought a hardware TPM module since AMD's fTPM was reported to cause performance issues.  I did end up switching back to Windows 10 this month though.  The Explorer Tabs feature that was recently released significantly altered the performance of Explorer.  It was annoyingly slower to open.  I'd experience odd pauses of up to several seconds when right clicking files.  Accessing files from a file server also took a performance hit.  Once a copy or move operation was started the network performance was the same, but accessing a network share could take about 5 to 10 seconds if I hadn't accessed it recently.  There were also random pauses (I couldn't reliably reproduce) when doing anything else in Explorer.  I did a clean install of the latest Windows 11 release, and the performance issues persisted.

I switched back to the current release of Windows 10, and the UI performance is significantly faster.  I experience none of the performance issues I saw under Windows 11.  Maybe it's my pleb Ryzen 5 3600 / Samsung 970 EVO based system slowing Windows 11 down?  Perhaps... but there is nothing compelling to me about Windows 11 that makes me miss it.  Windows Terminal and it's included version of SSH were probably my favorite feature, and those can be added to Windows 10 anyway. 

• Like 3

So I had a couple of PCs too many, so donated 2 of them, and of the two desktops I'm using at home, one is on 10 and the other on 11, plus one laptop on 11. The ones on 11 are for "casual" use (email and web surfing), and the one on 10 is for my "creative" stuff (writing and photo/video).  

On 17/01/2023 at 08:29, cmcgregor80 said:

Are ads normal in your country for windows 11? I don't have a single one. Is it an american thing? Plus What linux distro will you use to avoid bloatware? Don't tell me Ubuntu or Mint or any of those bloated distros. Plus you shouldn't drink apples kool-aid they have a browser included in their OS too. Linux also usually comes with a browser. You could go mobile but iOS and Android have their browser integrated into the OS so not sure what you're gonna do, unless its not the browser integration you hate but edge. You could of course use a worse version of it by google or join the 20 people still using firefox.

Suggestions to subscribe to Office 365 or OneDrive are ads.  I object.  I shouldn't have to navigate a half-dozen different options just to opt-out of advertising.

I've tried Mint and consider the bloat minimal.  I don't consider apps that can be readily uninstalled as "bloat."  Mint runs on lower resources than Windows and I find it comfortable to use.  I already use Libre and Krita, so app functionality won't be lost.  Gaming is rare.  Experimentation with Valve's Proton has been positive.  The only thing preventing a full Linux install today is my conservatism.  However, Linux will be on my laptop by the end of the week, to smooth the transition in 2024/25.

A pre-packaged browser is standard to an OS and doesn't bother me.  Win 10/11 searching Bing every time I search my PC is unacceptable.  And I am one of the 20 people still using Firefox - number 14, if my count is correct.  Number 15 lives just down the hall.

The nail in Window's coffin was the reported use of AI in the upcoming Win 12.  I don't want it.  No behaviour predictions, no recommended content, no changes to the wallpaper, no auto-sorting links or shortcuts, no voice recognition, nothing.  AI will, at best, require extra steps to disable or circumvent.

If others don't share these dislikes, that's fine.  Usage scenarios, expectations, and tolerances differ between individuals and organizations.  I'm just stating, unequivocally, that I'm getting off the Windows platform.

Edited by PluralGrey
  • Like 4