Getting pop up in Edge on Linux to allow ads. Neowin is white listed.

Anyone have any idea why I keep getting this pop up when using Edge on Linux Mint on every page I go to? Neowin is white listed in ublock origin. Don't get the pop up when using Firefox or Chromium. Edge is current version.

Web capture_25-1-2023_104946_www.neowin.net.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 08:54, cork1958 said:

Anyone have any idea why I keep getting this pop up when using Edge on Linux Mint on every page I go to? Neowin is white listed in ublock origin. Don't get the pop up when using Firefox or Chromium. Edge is current version.

Does it happen in incognito mode?

On 25/01/2023 at 10:58, adrynalyne said:

Does it happen in incognito mode?

Yes

On 25/01/2023 at 10:59, Brandon H said:

I thought that was a piece of code that was removed several years ago

anything odd show in the F12 dev console?

any insight on this @Steven P. or @DaveLegg?

Showed some stuff that I'm not sure is safe to post? I'll post it anyway. What the heck!

[Intervention] Images loaded lazily and replaced with placeholders. Load events are deferred. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2048113
5Tracking Prevention blocked a Script resource from loading <URL>.
cmp.quantcast.com/choice/SgN3NPpAChpt2/www.neowin.net/choice.js:1 

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:10 JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed with logging active, version 3.3.0
root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:12 

JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.bind() is deprecated
migrateWarn @ root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:12
root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:12 console.trace
root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:12 

JQMIGRATE: JQMIGRATE: jQuery.cssProps is deprecated
root_library.js.gz?v=3fb6e90fbd1674616103:12 console.trace

On 25/01/2023 at 09:11, cork1958 said:

Yes

Showed some stuff that I'm not sure is safe to post?

Everything in the dev console should be safe to post. If not, thats indicative of a very serious issue.

If you have secure DNS enabled in Edge, that might be triggering the popup.. but I will report it to our advertiser.. anything  you can share like a MACE enabled DNS?

On 25/01/2023 at 17:11, cork1958 said:

Yes

Showed some stuff that I'm not sure is safe to post? I'll post it anyway. What the heck!

[Intervention] Images loaded lazily and replaced with placeholders. Load events are deferred. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2048113
5Tracking Prevention blocked a Script resource from loading <URL>.
cmp.quantcast.com/choice/SgN3NPpAChpt2/www.neowin.net/choice.js:1 

This part looks like it is blocking the cookie consent, but that shouldn't need to run for you unless it is the checking if it should load part.

On 25/01/2023 at 16:59, Brandon H said:

I thought that was a piece of code that was removed several years ago

anything odd show in the F12 dev console?

any insight on this @Steven P. or @DaveLegg?

Our new advertiser has their own ad blocking tech checks. This sort of thing is only good against casual blockers anyway.

On 25/01/2023 at 11:13, Steven P. said:

Our new advertiser has their own ad blocking tech checks. This sort of thing is only good against casual blockers anyway.

I was wondering if it might be something like that judging by the footer on that screenshot.

On 25/01/2023 at 12:05, Steven P. said:

If you have secure DNS enabled in Edge, that might be triggering the popup.. but I will report it to our advertiser.. anything  you can share like a MACE enabled DNS?

This part looks like it is blocking the cookie consent, but that shouldn't need to run for you unless it is the checking if it should load part.

I do have secure DNS enabled, using OpenDNS, in Edge, which I also do in Firefox and Chromium and those 2 browsers aren't effected. No MACE enabled DNS.

On 25/01/2023 at 12:13, Steven P. said:

Again, this isn't happening in Firefox and Chromium which are pretty much set up the exact same way as Edge.

Edited by cork1958

On 25/01/2023 at 18:30, cork1958 said:

I do have secure DNS enabled, using OpenDNS, in Edge, which I also do in Firefox and Chromium and those 2 browsers aren't effected. No MACE enabled DNS.

Again, this isn't happening in Firefox and Chromium which are pretty much set up the exact same way as Edge.

No worries and thanks for checking. My contact is going to reach out to Admiral who provides the popup, I will update if they need more info.

On 25/01/2023 at 10:54, cork1958 said:

Ugh. Really? We're doing this Neowin?

• Facepalm 2
  • Love 1

On 25/01/2023 at 12:51, shockz said:

Ugh. Really? We're doing this Neowin?

if you read through the thread Steve confirmed it's not us but the new advertiser we recently switched to that's pushing the popup

On 25/01/2023 at 11:13, Steven P. said:

On 25/01/2023 at 14:05, Brandon H said:

if you read through the thread Steve confirmed it's not us but the new advertiser we recently switched to that's pushing the popup

If that's totally the case, why only in Edge when other 2 browsers which are set up as close to exactly the same as they can be then?

I do appreciate the assistance! I'm out of here for the day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 25/01/2023 at 14:05, Brandon H said:

Maybe better validate your advertisers then? When it's the face of your website, sorry, it's you. At least it's not redirecting/malicious like past times.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 13:18, cork1958 said:

If that's totally the case, why only in Edge when other 2 browsers which are set up as close to exactly the same as they can be then?

I do appreciate the assistance! I'm out of here for the day.

probably something to do with Microsoft's implementation of their IE like privacy settings in it if I had to guess.

this stuff:
image.thumb.png.ab821f1b26861339f3980b97694a9425.png

On 25/01/2023 at 13:32, shockz said:

Maybe better validate your advertisers then? When it's the face of your website, sorry, it's you. 

or you know, it's a bug since it's only affecting 1 browser in 1 scenario

On 25/01/2023 at 14:33, Brandon H said:

probably something to do with Microsoft's implementation of their IE like privacy settings in it if I had to guess.

this stuff:
image.thumb.png.ab821f1b26861339f3980b97694a9425.png

or you know, it's a bug since it's only affecting 1 browser in 1 scenario

Make that 2 scenarios. Also doing this in Edge on Windows 10. I do have that section in tracking prevention set to strict though. I'll change it and see what happens.

Edit: Yep, that setting seems to fix the issue but I'm leaving it set to strict. Doesn't have any effect on any other site and never has here before either. Will just have to make sure I don't come here when using Edge, I guess.

Edited by cork1958

On 26/01/2023 at 08:24, cork1958 said:

Make that 2 scenarios. Also doing this in Edge on Windows 10. I do have that section in tracking prevention set to strict though. I'll change it and see what happens.

let us know how that goes, if it works then you could just add neowin to the exception list there so you can keep the rest of the net on strict.

just got word that it's started affecting one of our writers too though so Steve said he's gonna report it up the chain with our provider and ask them to disable and review it

On 26/01/2023 at 09:31, Brandon H said:

let us know how that goes, if it works then you could just add neowin to the exception list there so you can keep the rest of the net on strict.

just got word that it's started affecting one of our writers too though so Steve said he's gonna report it up the chain with our provider and ask them to disable and review it

Didn't work at first by adding Neowin to exception list. I had entered just neowin.net then. Had to change it to the full url, https://www.neowin.net/

On 26/01/2023 at 09:01, cork1958 said:

Hey @Brandon H

Don't you get that pop up with your Edge setting at balanced, or had you already added neowin as an exception? I still did.

my badge doesn't reflect it since I'm a sup but I also subscribe so the ad blocks don't load for me

On 26/01/2023 at 09:31, Brandon H said:

Please do post what ever Steve or you find out about reporting it.

Our contact has agreed to disable it until they can fix it. So that should be happening soon.

I will update them with the Edge strict settings, thanks for the updates!

• Like 2

On 26/01/2023 at 10:56, Steven P. said:

Our contact has agreed to disable it until they can fix it. So that should be happening soon.

I will update them with the Edge strict settings, thanks for the updates!

Thank you.  I've seen other sites insist I'm using an ad blocker and its irritating.

On 26/01/2023 at 18:06, chaos mage said:

Thank you.  I've seen other sites insist I'm using an ad blocker and its irritating.

Err you shouldn't be getting anything at all, you're a ad-free subscriber. We remove all the ad codes for users in that group.

Unless you are browsing while logged out?