Microsoft Windows Security Update CD

Woohoo... I got my copy today.

It's a very useful CD.

CD 1 Contains:

* Windows XP Service Pack 1

* Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows XP

* Windows Media Player 9 Series (Windows XP)

* Direct X 9.0b

Since down the bottom of the packaging it says "For Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Millennuim Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98SE, and Windows 98", I assume that the CD contains much more.... or they're just generic patches... or something

CD 2 Contains:

* EZ Armor LE Firewall & Antivirus

It's "FREE for one year"

kewl thanx fowen... maybe i can actually install that update rollup for winxp, that seems not to install when i goto windows update on both of my box's... very strange!!!

no matter what i do, i cant seem to install it, it goes through the install process... and i even d/led the update manually, and it keeps showing up on windows update as a critical... im like... wtf!!!! ive checked on MS site that if you see this reg key in your registry then the update is installed... according to windows it is but on windows update it is not... so i just totally gave up on it... all other updates install fine, just that one is a pain.. aaahhhh just talking about it is ticking me off!!! :angry:

Yes... the CD was free. And being in Australia, the CD did take the 3 weeks that Microsoft said it would take.

To everybody that can't install the rollup:

Have you let it download the updates? You download the small patch from Windows Update, then when it installs, it downloads the patches needed. That's probably why it takes forever, and you can't install it.

thanx though, i mean i think its just windows update being a beotch.... i see it my registry and add remove programs... but it doesnt wanna go AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Woohoo... I got my copy today.

It's a very useful CD.

CD 1 Contains:

* Windows XP Service Pack 1

* Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows XP

* Windows Media Player 9 Series (Windows XP)

* Direct X 9.0b

Since down the bottom of the packaging it says "For Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Millennuim Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98SE, and Windows 98", I assume that the CD contains much more.... or they're just generic patches... or something

CD 2 Contains:

* EZ Armor LE Firewall & Antivirus

It's "FREE for one year"

I got mine in six days. (Registered on 27th Feb came on March 6)

haha... I live in S'pore/

yep... the thing that I love about the packaging is that the disc in the picture is a CD-R... they could've atleast used the Security CD or something.. make it a little more professional.

yep... the thing that I love about the packaging is that the disc in the picture is a CD-R... they could've atleast used the Security CD or something.. make it a little more professional.

LOL! Didn't notice till you said that :laugh:

Just opened it up, shot of the goodies inside:

post-11-1078916197.jpg

Ok I just run it, and it was so... so... so useless! it didn't do anything but turn on ICF (even though I'm not directly connected to the net) and change AU to automatically install at 3AM (I had it set to manually download), all with a half-assed web based interface that hardly worked at all, the 2nd step of "Install Updates" came up with

The automated page did not start properly. You must log on to your computer with administrator privileges to use this automated page. If you are already logged on as a computer administrator, try pressing F5 to refresh your browser.

It is also possible that this problem occurred because you clicked No on the IE Security Warning dialog box. Be sure to click Yes to any security dialog boxes that appear. Press F5 to refresh your browser and try again.

Gee very helpful even though I'm logged on as Administrator and didn't recieve and security dialog boxes (I even defaulted IE's security settings in case ActiveX was disabled)

Not to mention the stupid web based thing keep on resizing itself to 600*480 or something, which sucks when you run 1280x1024, not like it looked bad maximised.

I'd choose Autopatcher any day after this, the only thing useful would be installing updates by manually browsing the CD. Havn't checked out the bundled antivirus yet though :(

I made this ISO and posted it on The Donkey Network for those that don't want to use the postal system, wait for it to arrive, or want to bother Microsoft with the charges of shipping out a CD.

ed2k://|file|Microsoft.Windows.Security.Update.CD.February.2004.(B82-00145).iso|476407808|71E988A3D415EBB530DD0C1D8C73B74E|/

This is an UNOFFICIAL downloadable ISO of the security CD availible from Microsoft.

for those that don't want to use the postal system, wait for it to arrive, or want to bother Microsoft with the charges of shipping out a CD.

"those" would be something wrong up their heads. It's FREE even for shipping. Let's at least make a small dent at MS purse.

EZTrust Antivirus that was bundled isn't that good but it's a good one year free offer though. Freeware, AVG still is a better choice. Back to Symantec AV for me.