The Definitive "WHICH LINUX DISTRO?" Thread

What distro do you use?  

609 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cube

I like gentoo :devil:

Tried: redhat, mandrake, fedora core2, knoppix

never tried to install slackware or debian :(

OxideNOS

I was thinking as Linux operating system are java based, i can install it on my computer and if i know Java , can i make changes to it? Like edit its content with my knowledge of java programming. Can i do that?????????????????

pringlex

Umm, where did you hear that it's Java based? The linux kernel is mostly written in C.

betadan

Think we can update this thread to include some of the newer distros... for example Ubuntu ( i :heart: Ubuntu )

kyro

i am surprised gentoo going over slackware in the poll.. apparantely ppl like complexity and cpu churner more than simplicity and ease of installation and maintanence.

beh

Gentoo offers ease of maintanence I think, not installation yes, but maintanence.

markjensen
Think we can update this thread to include some of the newer distros... for example Ubuntu ( i  :heart:  Ubuntu )

584982432[/snapback]

Mind reader? :ninja:

I was going to retire this at the end of the year, and create a new, fresh 'definitive' thread for 2005. Replace the lowest one or two distros with new ones.

karma_police

Yes it's a good idea, I was going to ask the same

aem4162

well...i'm gonna start with gentoo :D

kongit

have fun. I would normally suggest something like fedora or mandrake. Acturally I now suggest ubuntu. But gentoo is fun and great if you got the time to compile. I used to have that time, but don't anymore.

snowlan

This is the first time I have used linux and I decided to go for the Ubuntu distro. It was extremely easy to install and it works very well even on my old spare computer I managed to dig up. I suppose Ubuntu is really good for beginners as it needs little if any knowledge of computers whatsoever to set up.

Definately recommend it. Will try out some other distros though to see which one suits me best.

markjensen
This is the first time I have used linux and I decided to go for the Ubuntu distro. It was extremely easy to install and it works very well even on my old spare computer I managed to dig up. I suppose Ubuntu is really good for beginners as it needs little if any knowledge of computers whatsoever to set up.

Definately recommend it. Will try out some other distros though to see which one suits me best.

585010092[/snapback]

(Y)

Always good to hear successful first-timers in Linux.

Welcome to the freedom that is Open Source.

snowlan
(Y)

Always good to hear successful first-timers in Linux.

Welcome to the freedom that is Open Source.

585010176[/snapback]

Thanks! :D

n3wt

I demand a definitive which *nix thread :D.

BSD BSD BSD BSD

kongit

along with ubuntu being great for beginners it just as good for those more advanced. The only problem that I have encountered is that it is hard to compile stuff that needs the gnome libraries. But almost everything that you might want to compile is already available in debian binary form and works with ubuntu.

markjensen
I demand a definitive which *nix thread :D.

BSD BSD BSD BSD

585010388[/snapback]

Hmmmm... If I can get a 'second' to this, I will add it to the list come New Years. :yes:
ootput

I'll second that. I've been playing around with Net/Open quite a bit lately. I already have several apache boxes served by Free, and it'd be nice to have a definitive thread where I can vent my frustrations and pearls of wisdom.

• 2 weeks later...
Fred Derf

If this poll is ever redone then the Debian entry should include all Debian children (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis and everything else). Currently Debian and Knoppix are two separate entries and many Mepis/Ubuntu users are probably voting other.

markjensen
If this poll is ever redone then the Debian entry should include all Debian children (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis and everything else).  Currently Debian and Knoppix are two separate entries and many Mepis/Ubuntu users are probably voting other.

585075650[/snapback]

For New Years, we will be removing the two lowest (Lindows and PC Linux) and adding in Ubuntu and *BSD.

Perhaps for things like Knoppix and Ubuntu, I can put

Knoppix (Debian based)

Ubuntu (Debian based)

We pretty much match the top distros that get the most hits on http://distrowatch.com/ so I think we are close to the best poll options.

KiwiNZ
For New Years, we will be removing the two lowest (Lindows and PC Linux) and adding in Ubuntu and *BSD.

Perhaps for things like Knoppix and Ubuntu, I can put

Knoppix (Debian based)

Ubuntu (Debian based)

We pretty much match the top distros that get the most hits on http://distrowatch.com/ so I think we are close to the best poll options.

585075674[/snapback]

By removing the the bottom percentile you scew the results and your poll will not reflect

the changing scene.

For example following your example 4 months ago ubuntu would not have made it to your recording yet now its ranking using the Distrowatch model is 9th.

markjensen
By removing the the bottom percentile you scew the results and your poll will not reflect

the changing scene.

For example following your example 4 months ago ubuntu would not have made it to your recording yet now its ranking using  the Distrowatch model is 9th.

585078864[/snapback]

I don't intend on matching distrowatch.com. Seeing that we match close to what they show the most hits on was just a quick check to see if we were way off-base on our options.

Also, I don't intend to edit the existing thread or its poll. I will be doing this:

I was going to retire this at the end of the year, and create a new, fresh 'definitive' thread for 2005.  Replace the lowest one or two distros with new ones.

584982799[/snapback]

This way, everyone who has moved to a new distro would be able to update it in the poll and prevent it from becoming out of date.

MrA
Hmmmm...  If I can get a 'second' to this, I will add it to the list come New Years. :yes:

585011609[/snapback]

I second the adding *BSD to the poll. The problem I see is that *BSD isn't Linux and it would no longer be a best distro poll, but rather a best *NIX poll. But then, it wouldn't be a best *NIX poll since it wouldn't include and normal unicies like Solaris, AIX, IRIX, etc. So, I'll take back my seconding of *BSD. Keep to distros.

markjensen
I second the adding *BSD to the poll.  The problem I see is that *BSD isn't Linux and it would no longer be a best distro poll, but rather a best *NIX poll.  But then, it wouldn't be a best *NIX poll since it wouldn't include and normal unicies like Solaris, AIX, IRIX, etc.  So, I'll take back my seconding of *BSD.  Keep to distros.

585117798[/snapback]

:wacko:

I think it would be good to add *BSD to the poll. The BSDs are also driven very much by hobbyists and volunteers (unlike Solaris, AIX and IRIX). I think they are fit to be inlcuded into the welcoming (and sometimes) tolerant arms of this Open Source community & poll. ;)

(perhaps calling it a "preferred GNU-based system"? Or not. :p )

MrA
(perhaps calling it a "preferred GNU-based system"?  Or not. :p )

585117852[/snapback]

I guess you could call it "open source, unix-like OS poll". That would cover the *BSD and linux.