The Definitive "WHICH LINUX DISTRO?" Thread

What distro do you use?  

609 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

shimon
...I also install a kernel (2.6.5-4Phoenix) that a guys compile and share with some, that include the nvidia module in it...

thats not what ur sig says LOL

shimon
You can vote for "other" and post what you use.

I started the poll then it got merged into this thread

edit: BTW i did vote for mandrake not making a new post for that because it may be counted as spAm.

Sav
thats not what ur sig says LOL

Hehehe, your right, thx to remind me, I'll change it right away. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Rushnak

Mandrake was my first linux distro, i loved it. It was so easy to install (and fast!) and quite easy to get started and have some fun with it.

I haven't got around to using any others at the moment, but i'm sure i will. The next one i think i'll try is slackware/redhat, although Redhat is heavily based on mandrake (or the other way round) I'll still give it a go.

peace :pinch:

shimon

kustom mandrake was made out of red hat along time ago thats why it use RedhatPackageManager (RPM)

Edited by shimon
Malisk

I'm using Mandrake 10 (official, not community)... Seems to be nice enough for me as a Linux noob :)

I also wanted that one since it was the only distro in a "non-unstable" build that had kernel 2.6.x out of the box (which I also wanted for noob reasons). I didn't trust a 2.4 kernel since my SATA drive didn't work on Knoppix at least, and I have a feeling it was because of lacking SATA support. Also, the other performance improvements in 2.6 aren't bad either. :D

Now everything is working great, except that I don't get a TV out signal. The sound is there though. :)

I'm interested in SUSE though and might give that one a shot once 9.1 is released for FTP downloading.

madept

Cobind Desktop 0.1

I also use Fedora Core 1.

shimon

Cobind desktop better look at down at distro watch

edit: or even better ur nik

kongit
Cobind desktop better look at down at distro watch

edit: or even better ur nik

:huh: :blink: I don't follow. Perhaps if you could write sentences in a logical manner.

Kasandoro

What's the best/easiest to set up Samba file server that will support a SiI 680 IDE-PATA Raid?

Sav
What's the best/easiest to set up Samba file server that will support a SiI 680 IDE-PATA Raid?

Look at ClarkConnect, it does the job very well for me.

Kasandoro

I thought only their commercial version supported RAID...thanks for the suggestion though (I'm already using it for a router, so if it works as a FS with RAID, I'm in!)

Sav
I thought only their commercial version supported RAID...thanks for the suggestion though (I'm already using it for a router, so if it works as a FS with RAID, I'm in!)

ooooh, i don't know for RAID tho, but when you says RAID do you mean a RAID configuration (Strip set with or without parity etc...) or you're talking of a RAID card. Cuz if it's the 2nd one, well I'm using a Promise RAID card into my server and it work perfectly, I've got a total of 6 drive connect into the server right now, the kernel (2.4) detect everything properly and DMA is use at is fullest.

shimon

twisted acocording to ya thread u still need to chose what distro u wana use please dont spam

Keldyn
twisted acocording to ya thread u still need to chose what distro u wana use please dont spam

Speak for yourself boyo.

• 2 weeks later...
chomps

Still don't know which distro to use...

running Redhat 9 all round and want to use RedHat Enterprise 3 for server side and mandrake 10 as workstation. Is this a good choice.

ActionWes

I am currently using Gentoo, and I think that I have found the distro that I was looking for. Still very new to Linux, but last night (during the Stage1 install) I learned more about Linux than I'd learned in the couple months of using Mandrake (9.2 and 10)

So... one more vote for Gentoo!!

Ae3

running Mandrake 9.2, but thinking of upgrading to 10.........does the 2.6 kernel provide a significant performance increase to justify an upgrade? :unsure:

CaKeY
running Mandrake 9.2, but thinking of upgrading to 10.........does the 2.6 kernel provide a significant performance increase to justify an upgrade? :unsure:

It did for me. I love it.

Ruciz

If I could figure out dual displays and get my i320 to work in any distro I would be amazed. I only get a mirrored image on both monitors (2 - 1024 by 768 instead of 1 - 2048 by 768) and the i320 is installed on a Win98 box and I get networking done but I have no success in drivers.

Ae3

well, if the performance is there ill most likely upgrade! but im getting a "fix it till its broke" feeling.......lol ;)

canbeli

i use knoppix 3.4 now. going to get myself another internal hardisk to install RedHat 9

amr_01

i really love gentoo, it's my favorite one, and i have tried a TON of them out. it takes a lot more work to setup then mandrake or redhat, but it's worth it.

Custom

gentoo is the best distro that i have tried. it does take a while to install and get things the way you like it, but in the end it runs like a charm.