• Knoppix
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • SUSE
    • Slackware
    • LindowsOS/Lycoris
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Other

Slackware For Life! Its Never Failed me, Unless i did something stupid....... Anyway. Best Dang Distro EVER, Gentoo is interesting tho..... but long compile times are annoying.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am downloading Libranet 2.8.1 now and goint to try it out tonight. Seen some good reviews about this distro. One thing I will like about it is that it installs the Nvidia driver on detection. Being a nix noob, that helps me alot--the last time I tried installing the driver on Mandrake 9.1 had me going :wacko: .

Suse 9.2 Personal Live CD.

Or any other live cd for that matter.

A live cd is a cd that you boot from with a full linux system on it and it won't affect your current windows (I assume) operating system at all.

:)

I am new to linux and was wondering, what would be best for me to get?

584876784[/snapback]

Merged this post into the Definitive thread. (Y)

i used debian for 3 days then moved to slackware for 3 months then my computer went dead then i tried gentoo and gave up while installing (i had a 686 shess i am not waiting a day for the kernel to complate) then i went back to debian for a good 9 months gave slackware another go for a few weeks then about 5 months ago when i saw ubuntu inside the debian mailing list i saw over to ubuntu and have been beta testing it since then. right now i am using hoary

Ubuntu, without a doubt. This distro has substance and it isnt overdone. I tried Suse 9.1 for starters, but it didnt feel right. Found Ubuntu posted in another thread and gave it a shot. I will be using Ubuntu for a loooooooooooong time. There is nothing I dont like about it..Just my 2 cents:)

• 2 weeks later...

So Redhat is running to poll huh? I'm going to be installing Linux on a drive tonight and was wondering is it the "XP" of Linux or is it really that good. I read good things about Debian and was thinking about installing that but need some opinions. Remember, total noob but I still want to learn the big shabang. How easy is it to play Windows games in Linux also?

So Redhat is running to poll huh?  I'm going to be installing Linux on a drive tonight and was wondering is it the "XP" of Linux or is it really that good.  I read good things about Debian and was thinking about installing that but need some opinions.  Remember, total noob but I still want to learn the big shabang.  How easy is it to play Windows games in Linux also?

584971229[/snapback]

Well, thank goodness there is no "XP of Linux".

Pretty much all the various distros are alike in their heart. They are GNU/Linux. The differences are in how they choose to manage their packages, and the default configurations.

Everything else can be changed by you. You don't want to load a browser - then you don't. If you don't even want a GUI, then you don't have to have it.

It really becomes your PC. :yes: