• Knoppix
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • SUSE
    • Slackware
    • LindowsOS/Lycoris
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Other

Tadaaaaa ... its GENTOO ... if u are a linux pro and really want to stretch ur cranium muscles .. gentoo is the way to go .. i am working in linux for the past 7-8 months full time but gentoo manages to teach me things i didnt even thought off .. it just show you linux to the core.

remember Gentoo Stage1 is not for faint hearted ... if are good instructions follower and have good luck ...u might even find stage 1 easy... but its no fun if u dont fail .... the pain of reading thru documents and pin pointing out little mistakes in ur command will make u a tough LINUX Guru .

ofcourse there is anaconda gentoo .. but a RPM way of gentoo is like beer without its fizz ... u better drink plain water than a bland beer.

For noobs the MANDRAKE10 is looking most easy trouble free Distro as it provides KDE3.2 and Kernel 2.6.* out-of-box..

I guess lots of people will speak of slackware as the best one .. but its loosing its mantle to GENTOO .....i think

SO there it is FOR SLEEPLESS GURUS .... GENTOO IT IS and For WinDoze users ... MANDRAKE 10 IT IS ...

Peace,

KYRO.

that is what knoppix is for. you can install gento through knoppix and still have a slow but functional computer. You can also install gentoo through another distro on a seperate partition :)

I didn't use knoppix and just woke up in the morning and started the bootstrap, came back around lunch and the that was done so I started the emerge system and then left. by about dinner I returned and that was done. I got up to the kernel install and then skipped ahead a went ahead and set the root passwd and created my user. I then emerged the kernel in one console, jumped into the next and logged in as root (you have to set the passwd to do this) and emerged lynx. lynx got done first so I logged out in that console and logged back in as me and I used lynx to surf the web while stuff was compiling in the other console. Also I suggest that you don't install the xfree-drm stuff and do that later once you get it booted into the console. I emerge xfree-drm and it aslo emerged all of xfree. Which was okay with me but I wasn't expecting it to.

I'll just say the obvious and generalize it to hell.

If you're new, you'll want something graphical and friendly. Try SuSE, Fedora or Mandrake. If you're looking to actually learn something or do something with your distribution, Gentoo (my personal fave), Slackware or Debian are your way to satisfaction.

This will be the only place where you will discuss, and find out which GNU/Linux distro will suit you best. Have fun :)

That's not a bad idea but merge all the other threads then just to clean things up.

I used redhat from 6.2 untill 9,

used a couple different versions of mandrake I think from about 7 something to 10.

Tried slackware 9.

Tried gentoo.

But SuSE is what has found a nice home on my machine for a good while.