• Debian
    • Gentoo
    • SUSE
    • Slackware
    • LindowsOS/Lycoris
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Other

Mostly Red Hat and Fedora.

I'll definately try out the new version of SuSE thats just come out though in a few weeks :)

Do you know exactly when the new SuSE version will be released? Maybe I'll switch to this from Mandrake.

@iCeFuSiOn: I myself am only new to the linux scene (ny a few months) and i started with and am still using Fedora and am quite happy with it but think am ready to move on to Slackware or Arch Linux (wanna eventually give Gentoo a go :-D)

Now hope the following helps:

• Chat using IRC and Instant Messenger services (MSN, ICQ, and AIM)
    Gaim will do this...
  • Graphics design (I could use the GIMP for this)
    Yeha gimp will work or you ca use Photoshop via wine ;)
  • Listen to music (I could use XMMS and the MP3 package for this)
    Yeah that will work fine
  • Play the occasional game of Wolfenstein ET
    A native version is available (Just make sure you have the correct OpenGL Linux drivers for your Video Card
  • HTML Coding (I dont have enough fingers to count the choices for this one)
    Bluefish is nice, gedit (texteditor :-P)
  • Browse the web & send email (Like I said above, too many choices, not enough fingers)
    FireFox and Thinderbird :-P

:D i'll getig my hopefully today than sunday it just matters if my dad can pick it up or not and i'm going to install mandrake frist i think

To everyone who says Gentoo helps you learn:

How does portage help you learn if it does everything for you? Learning would be working out dependancies for yourself, then finding and installing them manually.

If you want to learn, try Linux From Scratch.

How does portage help you learn if it does everything for you? Learning would be working out dependancies for yourself, then finding and installing them manually.

you may call that learning, i call that a neusance.

The learning comes from configuring the system. Heck, I read the ebuilds to everything I install anyway so I know what it is doing. You get out of it what you want.

Any idiot could type ./configure; make; make install a hundred times, Portage just removes that hindrance.

Any idiot could type ./configure; make; make install a hundred times, Portage just removes that hindrance.

nice. i was looking for words .. u put it perfectly .

Actually I think ARK Linux the best distro. It is based off of RH 7.2 though. Its nice, picks up all of my hardware and configures my network all by itself. :-D

it depends on what stage of your linux puberty your at. i still tell people i don't like girls so im using mandrake.

my big brother has his gf over all the time, he uses slackware

it depends on what stage of your linux puberty your at.  i still tell people i don't like girls so im using mandrake.

:huh: I guess that means that gentoo or lfs users are pimps?

ahh i am not the starter i am not famus i went with mandrake 9.2 getting 10 very soon

fedora pushes ahead of mandrake is someone cheaping hear

it depends on what stage of your linux puberty your at. i still tell people i don't like girls so im using mandrake.

rofl thats classic

can a mod/admin (if neobond ever used linux neowin would be soo much better) update the poll like for starters change lindows to linspire

I'm working with Mandrake since 8.0 until 9.2, then when I got confortable enough with Linux, I update my URPMI to the cooker three and jump into the wagon of bug testing. I must said that right now I'm at the community version with some patch from the cooker three and it's stable enough to day-to-day use.

I also install a kernel (2.6.5-4Phoenix) that a guys compile and share with some, that include the nvidia module in it.

But like some said the distro that will suit you is the one that better reflect what you want to do with it. I found my need into Mandrake --> Cooker version.