This is why Linux is better

hey cmon this error has happened with me many times before & its usually like after i uninstall some dumbass application , anyways just leave it there , add some trash to da bin & flush , you will find da windows bug , gone

linux has given me some of the most odd error messages ive ever seen if i had a distro installed i could generate them again to get a SS they were hilarious

It's not usually linux that generates the error messages, it's more than likely the distro, some people who make distro's like to add a bit of humor to their distro's, such as Evil Entity Linux or Undead Linux. :-)

Oh, and what's that thing about Plymouth? You insulting Plymouth?

Traffic in Plymouth is almost as bad as the 394/94 Interchange. I just hate driving through it when I need to get to Buffalo.

It's not usually linux that generates the error messages, it's more than likely the distro, some people who make distro's like to add a bit of humor to their distro's, such as Evil Entity Linux or Undead Linux. :-)

I like to put humorous messages in my OSs too...

But mine are nice and customized :)

I saw a few of you guys mentioned he photoshoped this.... i don't think he did because i've had the same error many times. First time it happened i though i had a trojan or something and they put my windows directory in the trash can but nope its just windows being weird. It won't let you delete it but still it shows up in your trash bin. A restart will usually take care of it.

At least if you try to actually delete the Windows system folder (and not the WINDOWS folder you deleted from who knows where) the system will give you an error. In Linux, you can actually run the rm -r and wipe the whole system.

You see, in Linux it gives you the option to add users, In windows, you stay admin unless you add a user. Most dists of linux make you add one before the system reboots. Users cannot rm-rf and fry the system (only there home dir)

good god, here's a easy solution.

stfu about which OS is better and use the one you like most. If you don't like Windows, there's the god damn format command, format your hard drive, install linux and stfu.

Got it yet? stfu and stfd. Damn newbie to the computer world are always bring up this type of gay discussion.

stfu about which OS is better and use the one you like most. If you don't like Windows, there's the god damn format command, format your hard drive, install linux and stfu.

Got it yet? stfu and stfd. Damn newbie to the computer world are always bring up this type of gay discussion.

While I may find the hostility and exasperation in your post a bit excessive, I agree with the message completely.

Selecting an OS is a personal decision based on your individual needs.

The question of "which OS is better?" is incomplete. It should specify for what purpose it is to be applied. For 90-something percent of home users, the answer is probably Windows. Not surprising that Windows has a 90-something percent market share. For my desktop, I prefer Linux. No big deal.

It's OK for people to post why they prefer one OS over another. My only issue is when people try to present opinions as 'fact', or make personal attacks on other people's opinions. There is absolutely nothing posted in Neowin that is worth raising your blood pressure over, and no one cares who wins online arguments anyhow.

</2 cents> :D

everyone, hear this man, he talks the truth

1) it is stable as a rock.

WindowsXP, Windows 2000 , Windows 2003 ALL stable as a rock too.

2) It is open source and free to anyone who wants it.

And hard to work with and buggy as hell too, and when you need support you don't find any, Free usually means no support too.

3) It is created by thousands of really smart people around the world instead of several buildings of really smart people.

Microsoft programmers are from the best there are in the world to, What cave did you came out from? wake up dude, MS is the World's number ONE software company, the best brains are there.

4) You never have to defrag.

Oh so you mean you don't have to give any maintenance to Linux disks at all? Get real!

5) It is very secure, adaptible and low on the virus target list.

I have a hardware firewall ( XP has one too which newbies can use if they would have a brain) and I run an anti virus, though I have NEVER in my life been infected with a virus, It's the idiots fault to get infected by virus, NOT Windows fault.

6) It can be installed on just about any computer and can be dual booted with any version of Windows.

Windows can also be installed in about ANY computer, what's the big deal here?

7) it is really fast and not loaded down with lots of "fluff".

Want to compete with my 2.66GHz XP system? If you have crappy hardware then don't blame Windows for it, Go buy some fast hardware and trash your last century computer which only allow outdated and low class OSes to run fast on it.

8) Each Linux distro comes with tons of added software to chose from at no charge (i.e. 5 CD burning programs, multiple MPEG and video players, 3 Internet Browsers, financial, Open Office, etc).

LMAO give me a break, yeah yeah most linux distros come with 4 CDs full of SH****T that nobody really uses, Must Linux programs suck big time and are buggy and unstable.

Let's not start talking about installing applications in Linux, Let's not talk about top of the line applications which you can use ANYWHERE you go.

So what why Is Linux better? you would better come up with better ideas. :)

2) It is open source and free to anyone who wants it.

And hard to work with and buggy as hell too, and when you need support you don't find any, Free usually means no support too.

I disagree with you saying it's buggy as hell otherwise most webhosts wouldn't be using it. the support is great... if you bother to use google. even some good websites listed on neowin.

4) You never have to defrag.

Oh so you mean you don't have to give any maintenance to Linux disks at all? Get real!

if you secure your system correctly, and it's all good... no need to. unlike windows keep having to do this that click here click there all the time... damn waste of time. with linux... I can easly back up most of my configuration with Linux, reinstall Linux and then just execute my scripts to setup the rest of the stuff for me from one configuration file... can't do that with Windows... have to keep clicking here, there, execute this etc... which is why I like AutoPatcher XP because that saves me alot of time when setting up windows from scratch from a fresh installtion. ok Autopatcher is there now... but my point is.... something like that SHOULD ALREADY come with an OS... not waiting for 3rd party people to go programme it for us...

7) it is really fast and not loaded down with lots of "fluff".

Want to compete with my 2.66GHz XP system? If you have crappy hardware then don't blame Windows for it, Go buy some fast hardware and trash your last century computer which only allow outdated and low class OSes to run fast on it.

we talking about eh OS here... not the hardware... Linux it self it's fast, very consistent... unlike windows with all the services n crap running. lets stick Windows XP on your 2.66 Ghz, and install Apache, PHP, MySQL and IPB 2.0.0 PDR1... and see the execution speed, then install Linux do the same there and you will see it's ALOT fatser :p...

am not gonna bother quoting all your quotes... but most of ur post I find it rubbish, wrong, stupid, not research/looked upon.

the only one I agree with but not fully is your first quote

1) it is stable as a rock.

WindowsXP, Windows 2000 , Windows 2003 ALL stable as a rock too.

yes they are stable but having to reinstall windows every 6 months to a year... god damn annoying... Linux... man I never have to reinstall that unless I mess up an important file that Linux requires to run correctly.. windows... I don't have to mess up any of the important files and it starts messing up by it selfs... p|sses me off...

I like both Windows and Linux.

Windows - Gaming, using software like Adobe Photoshop etc. I find windows crap when it's comes to running servers... damn unconsistent

Linux - I only use it for running servers n stuff like Apache, MySQL, Quake III Arena server, Neverwinter Night servers stuff like that. I personally think Linux is crap as a desktop machine unlike windows which is good for desktop

yes they are stable but having to reinstall windows every 6 months to a year... god damn annoying... Linux... man I never have to reinstall that unless I mess up an important file that Linux requires to run correctly.. windows... I don't have to mess up any of the important files and it starts messing up by it selfs... p|sses me off...

You need to reinstall windows every 6 months? you really dont know how to use it then :rolleyes: my old windows xp installation lasted 2 years and I removed not because it failed

,Mar 31 2004, 19:41] You need to reinstall windows every 6 months? you really dont know how to use it then :rolleyes: my old windows xp installation lasted 2 years and I removed not because it failed

ok... overtop I was there... just annoyed by that post

not every 6 months to a year but most of the time yes I have to do that... all I do is browse the web, play games, use photoshop and have windows blinds installed along with trillian, msn messenger.... what am I doing wrong there eh?

I bought my Dell laptop in July of 2002. To this day, I haven't had to do a lick of maintenance on it and it still runs very fast.

My PC on the other hand I did have to reinstall Windows on ONCE since the day I bought XP (which was launch day..Oct. 2001 was it?).

You can't blame MS itself for bitrot - applications don't play nice with each other, and bad programmers don't always do the right thing.

Mike

ok... overtop I was there... just annoyed by that post

not every 6 months to a year but most of the time yes I have to do that... all I do is browse the web, play games, use photoshop and have windows blinds installed along with trillian, msn messenger.... what am I doing wrong there eh?

how can I answer that? you only knows how do you maintain your box, but the fact is that since MS uses the NT core you dont have to reinstll every 6 months, the OS last a lot longer. period. so if you are going to bash windows use facts

Is this thread for real :no:

I have Windows XP SP2. It runs quickly & reliably, It allows me to play all my many games and because of a little bit of work it is up-to-date and secure.

You want to run Linux, good for you. I have tried it and I didn?t like it, it doesn?t support Microsoft Office (Which I use at home and at University. The majority of businesses use it; it is the de facto standard).

Linux doesn?t support games, So what is the point of my DirectX9 hardware in Linux?

Also to say that a system is secure is suicide. There are bugs in Linux! Why? Because people programmed it and no matter how good your programmers are, they will leave some bugs behind.

Undoubtedly I will go back and try Linux in the future. Indeed I wouldn?t mind getting Red Hat certified, but until that day leave me alone? I have to finish reading up on the MCSE C:yes:xams :yes:

I've never had to reinstall my Windows server at work. Ever. Nor have I had to reinstall my Unix server. Of course, I don't mess with them by installing every app I find on the net, I just let them do their thing. Which is to serve.

,Mar 31 2004, 19:46] how can I answer that? you only knows how do you maintain your box, but the fact is that since MS uses the NT core you dont have to reinstll every 6 months. period. so if you are going to bash windows use facts

am not bashing windows... like I said. I like windows... if I like it.. why would I bash it???... and I have heard other people on neowin saying they re install their windows less or more than 6 months because it messed up or just under or just over a year. just annoying... thats all. nothing more

This might be slightly OT, but I never understood the need to bash MS. Hate them, fine, but Linux is so clunky that it seems to me that people almost force feed Linux down their own throats just to stay "l33t" when all they have to do is run Windows and not have to suffer through missing drivers, poor support, etc. Am I wrong?

Not to say that Linux doesn't have its place...it does...in the server closet :D.

Mike

Ugh. These threads are always the same old thing.

I like Linux. Linux is better. MS Sucks.

I like Windows. Windows is better. Linux sucks.

Get over it. Just use what you want to use. Why is it, everytime someone mentions an OS, there are 50 responses saying how much it sucks? :crazy:

come on now ely, you gotta give such a mean response? he wasnt even trying to bash windows

I dunno, maybe Ely is just having a bad day? His response didn't appear to be all that mean. :yes:

Simple. Who gives a sh*t! all like childish 1st graders. mines better, no mines better. both have weaknesses that are others strenghts. use what you want and shut up already!