Longhorn Systray Clock

1. Keep the suggestions coming. I like Stacker's mockups. So I'll make the prev/next buttons next to each other.

2. I know there is a bug with calendar popup location when used on multimonitor setup. So I'll try to fix this bug first.

3. I have decided not to go for skin support. It will just make LClock bigger. So I'll allow the calendar to be customized by ini file first.

4. Calendar function is off by default if you are using your old LClock settings. Just go into control panel tool to turn it on.

5. Speaking of the control panel tool. The new installer will make a shortcut to LClock control panel tool in the Start menu.

Oh, besides the update thing to check for updates that I suggested, I found that you have to click on the clock to make the clock disappear. Not a bug I don't think, but I'm just not used to having to click on something for it to disappear. Would be nice if you could just click it off. Or maybe have an "x".

Edit:For skinning, you could have it look at certain picture file that are customized in that ini file you were talking about. And then people will just have to stick with the layout you choose.

Edit:Edit:Or was that what you were already talking about :$

Oh, besides the update thing to check for updates that I suggested, I found that you have to click on the clock to make the clock disappear. Not a bug I don't think, but I'm just not used to having to click on something for it to disappear. Would be nice if you could just click it off. Or maybe have an "x".

Edit:For skinning, you could have it look at certain picture file that are customized in that ini file you were talking about. And then people will just have to stick with the layout you choose.

Edit:Edit:Or was that what you were already talking about :$

Update is a good idea. Something I'll add in the future. But after I finish calendar, alarms and stuff. Besides...now you have another good reason to keep visiting neowin.net. ;)

I used to have a close button. But I find it much easier to just click on the clock again to close the calendar. e.g. Someone checks the calender for a few seconds and then wants to close it. He might not even have moved the mouse yet, so the clock is the closest to mouse.

As for skin. It will just make LClock a resource hog. If you want skin, there are alot other calendar programs to use. LClock will stay as simple as possible. But I'll add functionality to customize the calendar as much as possible.

Every time I double-click the clock (in order to change the time/date) it opens the calendar, can you make it that on double-click it closes the calendar (if it's open)?

1. Keep the suggestions coming. I like Stacker's mockups. So I'll make the prev/next buttons next to each other.

:) I am happy to read that.

So hereby I provide an enhanced version of my Reminder popup suggestion.

In this mockup:

- number display of actual/total daily reminders (here: 14th of 37)

- prev/next buttons for quick overview the daily reminders

(it serves as a nice consistency factor with the Calendar popup as well)

- red system Close button (dismiss function: reminder will not pop up again but still in daily list)

- reminder due date and time display, complete with overdue warning

- enlarged (4-line) text display area

- Erase button:

after verify, this will erase the reminder for ever

- Edit button:

this invokes the LClock Settings / Reminder panel (as in posted earlier mockup)

- Snooze button:

this makes the reminder disappear but pop up again in (preselected time interval) minutes

(hope I can post the image below...)

post-34-1091231781.jpg

Stacker, that last one you posted is a bit too heavy for the eyes mmm... the buttons and the close buttons... Mmm.... but over all, I like that bar at the top and the date! maybe you can try using the back and forward that's in the explorer? (one small one large)

I like the calendar you posted a few post ahead... the one with 2 green buttons :D

ow, can you add a little animation RCube? and maybe for the people who don't want these features, you could create a lite version, which only contains the clock itself and nothing more (but I'll take the enhaced version anygiven day/time) :D

greatwork RCube and Stacker

I modified my yesternight design, so here is the current (second enhanced) suggestion for the Reminder popup.

This version has all the features as the previous do, but:

- reminder due date format is: ddd, dd mmmm // hh:mm (more informative)

- overdue warning is aligned to right

- reminder windows is taller, so text can be bigger and more readable

- Erase button renamed to Done

Maybe my mockup mania tends to be overwhelming ... :)

post-34-1091260339.jpg

that's a lot better, but I still feel funny about the back and forward button, it doesn't feel right...... I know the 2 buttons need to be placed somewhere.... mm... can you put it at the bottom? beside the done button?

that's a lot better, but I still feel funny about the back and forward button, it doesn't feel right...... I know the 2 buttons need to be placed somewhere.... mm... can you put it at the bottom? beside the done button?

Hmmm, I think the bck/fwd bittons belong to the header of any window.

I would not put them to the bottom - bottom buttons are for action while arrows are for navigation. GUI logic applies :)

Patience please :)

I sketch some more LH-like mockups right now, and post them soon...

Stand by...

What's 14/37? :p

It was described in the comments: 14th reminder of the total number of 37 reminders of the actual day.

Of course it is an extreme example, no such busy day usually exists :)

But I created 2-digit display for neat object metrics.

New mockup series:

I created new designs, featuring Big-Small back/fwd buttons.

There are LH-like and green-buttoned classic designs for both reminder and calendar.

Therefore, to make comparing easier, I try to post FOUR comparative mockups.

They show popups together - of course it is only for compare, not actual function shot.

(an interesting question by the side: if the calendar is visible, and reminder pops up, what will be the reminder's position? overlay? offset?)

Mockup series description (I will post them one by one):

1. green compare:

this shows calendar and reminder with green buttons

2. LH compare:

this shows calendar and reminder in LH style

3. calendar compare:

this shows LH and green style calendars

4. reminder compare:

this shows LH and green style reminders

Okay, I will post them right now...

Nice...

Though the buttons seem like they're too zoomed in and I can see their pixels. I like LH's buttons, but with a better resolution. Also maybe make the top part take less space: make the buttons a bit smaller, move the "total 37" to the same line as "14" like in the green picture and then the bell won't float around the middle...

so you now can examine all versions. Hope you like them :)

Additional notice for today mockup series:

As you can see, the red X close button form the reminders is gone.

Instead, the Dismiss action button was added at the bottom.

The style comparative images shows calendars a bit oversized.

They are actually smaller, and they arrow buttons are same size as in the reminders.

Sorry for this inconsistency.

Though the buttons seem like they're too zoomed in and I can see their pixels. I like LH's buttons, but with a better resolution. Also maybe make the top part take less space: make the buttons a bit smaller, move the "total 37" to the same line as "14" like in the green picture and then the bell won't float around the middle...

You are absolutely right.

The arrow button cradle was simply cut from an LH screenshot and it is pixelized to hell, indeed.

Sorry for this - please notice that these are just visual sketches, made unprofessionally. For development, of course it shall sport hi-rez objects.

The header rearrangement with the 14/37 positioning is good idea.

Actually, I am starving and gotta get refueled before any further post :)

And maybe I get some nap as well :) but thanks for the suggestions, I will check back for them.

Just a theoretical thing:

Okay, we like the Big-small back/fwd buttons in LH.

They are different sized because in Explorer, the Back function is more often used than forward.

In their asymmetric cradle, as nested drops of quicksilver (mercury?) they look sooo futuristic and awesome.

:)

But in "calendar months" or "reminders of the day" flipping, maybe they have same importancy.

This suggests that the arrow buttons shall be the same size.

What do you think?

Another thing to think about:

Regarding these popups, shall we consider LH Sidebar flyout design elements and concepts? *

(that would require totally different approach, with narrow border, orange header etc., as shown in the LH Slate - which is somewhat clumsy and obsolete :) )

- - -

* shake your head and say "No" :)