Reasons to upgrade from 98se to xp

I would say that the best one is that XP is so much more stable than 98. I mean theres barely any freeze ups anymore and blue screens. In the long run, its definately worth the upgrade because of secuirty which is another major concern.

My dad stuck on 98 for a long time on his computer and didn't want to upgrade because he didn't wanna pay the price for an upgrade. He thought it was too expensive. But when he saw me on my new laptop with XP, he got jealous pretty fast. Seems he hadn't seen XP in action, configured the right way on a good system. And he was afraid of change.

And now when he sees me with Office 2003 (especially with OneNote and the new Outlook), he wants me to get him an upgrade to XP. :) He is so jealous now.

So, you just gotta show him the product. :) Tell him the themes can change. Its what's underneath that counts. :)

And try your best to get him to pay for it. I'd say save your money for some software/games you want for yourself. :)

No! Don't uprade to XP! Windows 98 rocks! If you upgrade to XP the devil will come into your house and bite off your pinky finger when you aren't looking!

No! Don't uprade to XP! Windows 98 rocks! If you upgrade to XP the devil will come into your house and bite off your pinky finger when you aren't looking!

Ha ha ha. You're a funny one, aren't you.

cbosdell: Anyway, if all else fails, use scare tactics. :p You know what I mean ;) :devil:

oh man you almost made me laugh. NOT

Don't worry about all these reasons, Order the 180-day Windows XP Evaluation from Microsoft, perform an upgrade installation, show him how good XP is. If you convince him, buy XP Home and it can just be installed over the top of the Evaluation, if you don't, just uninstall XP from the add/remove programs.

Don't worry about all these reasons, Order the 180-day Windows XP Evaluation from Microsoft, perform an upgrade installation, show him how good XP is. If you convince him, buy XP Home and it can just be installed over the top of the Evaluation, if you don't, just uninstall XP from the add/remove programs.

he has told me before if i install xp without his permission he will take the comp down to our local comp store and have it formatted and 98se reinstalled.

oh and the fact that i dont got a credit card prevents me from ordering anything from ms or web without his permission as i cant pay for the shipping and handeling on the evaluation.

so that really isnt that much of an option as i have to convince him to let me buy the thing.

oh and my dad was tired last night and didnt look at it so i am gonna show it to him today after school.

I feel your pain kiddo. Sometimes parents are just afraid of new things.

Luckily in my case, I had the ability to show my dad that new is better in this instance.

Again, I'm sure you can get your dad to pay for it if you sweettalk him into it. :)

he has told me before if i install xp without his permission he will take the comp down to our local comp store and have it formatted and 98se reinstalled.

oh and the fact that i dont got a credit card prevents me from ordering anything from ms or web without his permission as i cant pay for the shipping and handeling on the evaluation.

so that really isnt that much of an option as i have to convince him to let me buy the thing.

oh and my dad was tired last night and didnt look at it so i am gonna show it to him today after school.

Its free. no p&p ;)

Your dad is an idiot.

You need a damn attitude check. :crazy: :shifty: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Took a bit of convincing with the help of the guy at my local comp store and those reaons and testimonials i convicend my dad to let me upgrade. In 2 weeks he'll give me the money and we can go and get xp for me to do a clean install at home. I am just buying home as the people at the comp store helped me realize theres not a huge difference and its fine and saves me a bunch of money.

Thanks for the help people

If his computer is running Win98, then it is probably not that good. Such a computer should be using Windows 2000, NOT Windows XP.

i could only get xp by *cough*unconventional methods *cough.* im not much of a sweet talker and i felt i needed payback for having to use ME for a year. i actually helped microsoft by doing that though because if i hadnt gotton xp i would be using a mac right now and i wouldnt have bought a new pc with xp installed legally.

If his computer is running Win98, then it is probably not that good. Such a computer should be using Windows 2000, NOT Windows XP.

ITS MY COMPUTER AND HIS AND MY MOMS FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME!!!! = Family Computer. Really have you people NEVER heard of that concept?

READ THE WHOLE TOPIC BEFORE YOU REPLY. AND THE COMP SPECS ARE ATHLON XP 1800 AND 512 MB RAM AND 80 GIG HARD DRIVE SO REALLY XP IS FINE ON IT!

^thats mature... he was trying to help you by saying that your pc isnt good enough for XP and you go on about how he used his instead of your. he was trying to be helpful and he dosent have to read the whole topic if he dosent want to, now STFU.

^thats mature... he was trying to help you by saying that your pc isnt good enough for XP and you go on about how he used his instead of your. he was trying to be helpful and he dosent have to read the whole topic if he dosent want to, now STFU.

well he was very rude. if ur gonna reply to short topic like this you should read it and if not you should realize that most people arent rich and got tons of comps at hmoe and everyone has their own. Ones enough and i dont need any more than one for all of us.

I wasnt being rude, just a bit annoyed and besides u are ruder to me than i was to him.

oh and to the other replier above u as i said i am buying xp in 14 days and uh i dont want to dual boot but anyway i'm getting xp so all is solved.

He is rude, I am very rude, you are not rude. :wacko: Or maybe your caps button got stuck.

sigh i see now u werent that rude. I appoligize i just am annoyed when people dont read the whole topic as i have said that same thing at least once that it is my comp too and therefore my specs apply to it.