Reasons to upgrade from 98se to xp

Whenever I have to fix a win9x PC I have to sit there and think for a while.

I'm so used to NT now that I have to dig stuff from memory. ;/

Whenever I have to fix a win9x PC I have to sit there and think for a while.

I'm so used to NT now that I have to dig stuff from memory. ;/

i'm sure i'll be the same way with xp. but i've got 100+ hrs expierence using it at my comp class at school for a semester an hr a half a day every other day. so it wont be that foreign.

Just remember:

c:\windows\desktop

;)

lol are you saying to uh back the stuff there up????

cause if u are thats what i am doing right now. I am backing up My Documents, my desktop folders, my reg file, opera and firefox profiles, program installers for new programs i am using, my phpdev web folder for my web developing, my comp backgrounds and a few other things.

Ummmm, sure that is what I ment. :shifty:

Why are you backing up your registry file? You will have no use for it once you install XP.

Ummmm, sure that is what I ment. :shifty:

Why are you backing up your registry file? You will have no use for it once you install XP.

uh i dunno. old habit. might as well keep it. it isnt gonna hurt anything now is it? :p :D

srry for double post (again) but i got a question.

Since i am upgrading within next week anyone got any good addons/programs for me to dl to have rdy to install when i get xp? :D

I am very bored and in anticipation of it.

I already got the XP Power tools.

Took a bit of convincing with the help of the guy at my local comp store and those reaons and testimonials i convicend my dad to let me upgrade. In 2 weeks he'll give me the money and we can go and get xp for me to do a clean install at home. I am just buying home as the people at the comp store helped me realize theres not a huge difference and its fine and saves me a bunch of money.

Thanks for the help people

Good news. Congratulations. And welcome to the world of XP. :D

srry for double post (again) but i got a question.

Since i am upgrading within next week anyone got any good addons/programs for me to dl to have rdy to install when i get xp? :D

I am very bored and in anticipation of it.

I already got the XP Power tools.

Download every single patch released for the version you are going to get. You'll need it as soon as you're setup.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything else until your system is all patched up.

power toys?

spybot search and destroy, and DEFINETLY autopatcher xp.

power toys for xp avaliable from ms :)

and yep i alrdy got spybot on my backups cd.

what is autopatcher xp? i'll google it.

The people who make autopatcher are on this forum.

Search here for it.

I havent had to use it, but I believe its a collection of patches from MS for Windows XP all put in one convenient place. Guys correct me if I am wrong.

Also doesn't hurt to run AdAware along with Spybot and I usually keep CWShredder around for good measure.

However, back on topic...

It's completely outlined why XP is better, but don't forget the other half of the equation:

THE HARDWARE

If it's not generously within margin, it will run like crap. Take forever for bootups and obliterate freespace.

Compare the cost of upgrading the Hardware and compare it to a new Dell for $600 (copy of XP, and a system that will bury your current)

Good Luck!

Also doesn't hurt to run AdAware along with Spybot and I usually keep CWShredder around for good measure.

However, back on topic...

It's completely outlined why XP is better, but don't forget the other half of the equation:

THE HARDWARE

If it's not generously within margin, it will run like crap. Take forever for bootups and obliterate freespace.

Compare the cost of upgrading the Hardware and compare it to a new Dell for $600 (copy of XP, and a system that will bury your current)

Good Luck!

all the hardware is less than 6 months old besides the processor which is 2 yrs old and according to the guy at the local computer store they all should be fine for xp.

:blink:

oh and how does a 14 yr old magically come up wiht $600 whenever he feels like it? I'd love to know how. :cool:

oh and that dell pc ur talking about isnt that much better infact the ram is much worse and no cdrw and a few other things that are very much worse.

only the flatpanel monitor and the slightly faster processor is better.

Your system is perfectly fine for running XP.

Dont worry bout it.

You just have to get new drivers that are made for XP for your hardware.

all the hardware is less than 6 months old besides the processor which is 2 yrs old and according to the guy at the local computer store they all should be fine for xp.

:blink:

oh and how does a 14 yr old magically come up wiht $600 whenever he feels like it? I'd love to know how. :cool:

oh and that dell pc ur talking about isnt that much better infact the ram is much worse and no cdrw and a few other things that are very much worse.

only the flatpanel monitor and the slightly faster processor is better.

Well, this was originally to get your DAD to upgrade. Also, I have no issues suggesting a $600 low-end workstation for someone who simply uses e-mail and needs basic word processing and office apps for school. If you're doing this for performance (ie gaming) then you're still behind the 8 ball.

Whichever you choose, good luck.

PS I had to come up with $4000 for my 8088 :pinch: so don't whine. Oh and then $400 for my 40 Meg Hard Drive upgrade.... and my $1090 TRS-80.... $120 AdLib Card... oh and did I mention how I had to buy not only a new Video Card but a new MONITOR to upgrade from CGA to VGA?