SPV E200

205x318_spve200.jpg

Screen: Quality! Much better than the original SPV and E100. A very bright display. About as bright as the Nokia 6600 screen. Colours are vibrant. It has a slightly curved screen on it, which is excellent, because it stops the backlight reflecting back on the screen, which stops the screen getting 'washed out'.

Buttons: Easy to use, well spaced out. Not much else to say!

Reception: Not as good as your average Nokia. Don't get this phone if you're expecting home phone call quality.

Size & Weight: I find this a little bit heavy and big, but that is only because I had my Nokia 6100 for so long, and was used to it. It compares to a 3310 roughly.

Build Quality: Very good, although my battery has got a little bit loose. Nothing major, but I'm fussy! Unfortunately, the battery is part of the casing.

Memory: Quality! Comes with 30mb internal!! Cant say fairer than that! Although the phone apparently lags when it gets full, so apps and games are best kept to the memory card.

Expansion: SD or MMC, up to 1GB. I personally have a 512mb card in mine, and find it's more than enough. I use it for MP3 playing the most, but also have loads of games and apps installed, aswell as a couple of videos.

Camera: Inbuilt, which is a plus. The photo quality is your average VGA. None of this T610 stuff. Same quality as Sagem MYX-6, Samsung E700/710, Nokia 6600, etc. No zoom on 640x480, but doesnt bother me. (Was available on my Sagem MYX-6)

Video Camera: Excellent!! You really cant start to understand how good the video is until you see it! The FPS is fine, although a little jerky, which is to be expected from the picture being so good. 2 different resolutions, but I just use the lower one anyway, as it looks fine on both the phone and PC. The files are avi format aswell, which for me, is a plus. Means you can send them to anyone, and they'll be able to play them!

Connectivity: Cannot be flawed when connecting to the PC! Both data cable and bluetooth works amazingly! I was very impressed! I cannot comment on connectivity for bluetooth headsets, as I've never needed nor owned one. Apparently, support for headsets was improved in the recent update for the phone.

MP3 Play: STEREO!! That is the most important thing! You wont find a lot of handsets that will be able to do this, and if you're into your all-in-one handsets, mono would be a let down. The sound is very loud for a phone, and I wouldnt need it any louder. MP3s can also be played through the speaker, which is VERY loud, and VERY clear. Another area in which you will not be disappointed!

Video Play: The feature I got the phone for! Certainly not just a novelty! Videos can be watched on the handset with no problems, which is quality! I was amazed at how nice the videos were to watch, and the 65k colour screen doesnt restrict viewing at all! There are programs out there for the PC which have SmartPhone templates aswell, so optimizing videos is easy, and relatively quick. Pretty much any format can be played, with mpeg and avi being the most popular.

MSN: Yep, being a Microsoft phone, it has MSN built-in, which is a nice feature! I've used it on both GPRS and Bluetooth, with no problems. The connection is great, although you'll soon find you'd rather be using a keyboard! Great for just chatting to one person.

Pocket IE: Pocket IE is a good feature too. Means I can check up on anything I want when I'm not near a PC, or view the odd website or two when I cant be bothered to be at the PC, via Bluetooth.

Sync with PC: This is a great feature, and something I didnt realise I would use as much! It's nice to have all your contacts saved onto the PC, especially if you have 2 Windows Mobile devices like me (E200 and XDA). Means the contacts are saved to the PC, and you'll never lose them (Well, unless your PC crashes, and you lose your phone on the same day!). I have all my emails from outlook stored on the phone too, so if I need to receive any emails out and about, I can, or if I need to reply to any emails on the move, I can. Another nice feature for me, is that you can be around the house (Well, within 10m), and use bluetooth to wait for an email (and reply to it), on the phone. Not a feature I personally use, but you can also sync all your reminders and calender etc, which is nice for you busy people out there!

In the box: I was amazed! It comes with everything you need, which is great! Comes with a docking cradle, so you can use that to put files etc onto the phone. This is a major plus for me. I hate buying more accessories when you get a phone! Also comes with HEADPHONES! You dont get those with many handsets either! Comes with an 8mb SD card too, but that stays in the box! The charger stays in the box too, because I charge via USB! Quality!

Photos taken with the camera can be posted if required, and if anyone really wants, I can email a video to them taken on the E200.

Yep, exactly the same. It has loads of different names. HTC Voyager, SPV E200, o2 XPhone, iMate SmartPhone, Qtek 8080...

Madness. I've been thinkin about purchasing one, hopfully I can get a discount of some sort... Just gotta scrape together the cash :p.

It isnt too bad actually. You can get it free on an orange contract, and they are going for good prices on eBay at the moment. Can pick them up for around ?260 on PAYG.

Yeah, some really nice Motorolas coming out quite soon actually. Apparently, 'they' (I dont know who 'they' are) think that 2005 will be the year for MS SmartPhones.

• 2 weeks later...

i never heard of those phones here in taiwan...

are they only available in the US? They seems really powerfull, with loads of features, so i guess they are not normal celllphones....

i never heard of those phones here in taiwan...

are they only available in the US? They seems really powerfull, with loads of features, so i guess they are not normal celllphones....

As far as I know, they're available in the UK and the US. Not sure about elsewhere. And yes, one of the most powerful phones on the market. If not the most powerful at the moment (Bar the XDA2).