Windows XP SP2 for ALL

and Fred666, what exactly does slipstream means?

Slipstream is a method of propulsion faster than Warp 10.

What? Oh, somebody has already posted the "right" answer...

But you need sp1 to install sp2 right? So that small percentage using the blacklisted keys are still SOL

Normal MS policy would not require SP1 (or SP1a) to be installed before you install SP2.

SP2 should still block the two blacklisted keys from being used, but it won't add anything else. It's not like those keys are suddenly going to work again...

I can see why they have done this, if pirated users are infected by a worm, then it will get sent out to people who have legit copys, whereas if they patch the pirated ones, then everyone should be safe :

do you people actually realise that it was EXTREME sarcasm? All threads about Microsoft, or Linux, must have a "<other OS> is better than..." comment. Thread didn't have one.

I use Windows, but don't care what I use. I'm only on Windows because I've been brought up on it, so I'm more used to Windows than any other OS.

</end rant>

NOTE: LINUX PWWWNNNSSS YOU ALL

I'm against this move, It annoys me that some n00b has got someone to install a Pirated copy of XP for them, and those like myself that actually have a legal copy of XP have shelled out the money for it when we are the ones that actually know what we are doing; and they are the ones that run into problems because they don't how to even look after their systems.

I'm not in the SP2 beta, so anyone who is please pass on this suggestion:

Have SP2, but make it install in two flavours. The installations that have valid keys detected have the full update, but those with illegal keys detected should only get critical security updates (not be able to install Windows Firewall, IE Popup Blocker, DirectX 9, Windows Media Player 9, etc) unless they enter in a valid product key, so they would have to get some of the things like WMP9 & DirectX9 themselves and have to find alternatives to Windows Firewall/IE Popup Blocker too.

do you people actually realise that it was EXTREME sarcasm? All threads about Microsoft, or Linux, must have a "<other OS> is better than..." comment. Thread didn't have one.

I use Windows, but don't care what I use. I'm only on Windows because I've been brought up on it, so I'm more used to Windows than any other OS.

</end rant>

NOTE: LINUX PWWWNNNSSS YOU ALL

Your two posts did not add value to the thread.

They are not funny. They are not informative.

In essense they are :spam:

The only thing you accomplished was postcount+2.

Well, don't know about this article, but i can assure you that some new

keys got blacklisted and blocked....

one begins with - 7FMM3-...

So i really doubt that it is for everyone freely... it is yes if you activate your windows after

this sp2 instal... this change i talk about is in build 2120

Your two posts did not add value to the thread.

They are not funny. They are not informative.

In essense they are :spam:

The only thing you accomplished was postcount+2.

They amused me because they received mark-out responses. :)

I'm against this move, It annoys me that some n00b has got someone to install a Pirated copy of XP for them, and those like myself that actually have a legal copy of XP have shelled out the money for it when we are the ones that actually know what we are doing; and they are the ones that run into problems because they don't how to even look after their systems.

I'm not in the SP2 beta, so anyone who is please pass on this suggestion:

Have SP2, but make it install in two flavours. The installations that have valid keys detected have the full update, but those with illegal keys detected should only get critical security updates (not be able to install Windows Firewall, IE Popup Blocker, DirectX 9, Windows Media Player 9, etc) unless they enter in a valid product key, so they would have to get some of the things like WMP9 & DirectX9 themselves and have to find alternatives to Windows Firewall/IE Popup Blocker too.

Most pirates are not noobs :)

Most pirates are not noobs :)

but most that end up with the copy are. I don't know of any friends with a legal copy of it, I'm surprised to know that they even obtained it. Most of the time the Pirated copy has come pre-installed.

Microsoft thinking about all of it's product users including those that have pirated copies, interesting :shifty:

Haha,

Then I would throw my legit copy of winxp away, get a pirated one and I'd be aware of that "feature"-bull****. :laugh:

wow! seems they actually took note of our suggestion @ CTS, we were talking to the head of licencing about this exact topic. And trying to get across that some times its more important to ur LEGAL userbase to patch illigal copies....