Xbench your Mac...

No, it's a single 1.25GHz. It's a Powerbook he ran it on...

Whoops, was looking at the Dual 1.25GHz vs. the 1.6, not Nummi's PB... I was looking for the one with a higher score and "lower" MHz.

Worth noting that any results with a * have not ran the full test, so, may have falsely inflated results.

As regards G4 vs G5, check out http://n0cgi.distributed.net/speed/query.p...est=all&multi=1

A dual 1.4GHz G4 rates pretty much the same in RC5-72 as a dual 2GHz G5

I had a G4 with a 1.467GHz GigaDesigns processor upgrade that stablely at 2.13GHz. Regret selling it now... :cry:

If I spent $3k on a new Dual 2.0GHz G5, I don't think I'd want to be the first to start soldiering and tinkering around in my beloved G5 :p

well considering the 2Ghz G5 is already an overclocked 1.8Ghz chip, I would not wanna overclock it further, but it *might* be possible to overclock the 1.8 -> 2.0???

Just did my brother's eMac -

1.25GHz G4 / 256Mb RAM / 80Gb / Radeon 9200 32Mb / SuperDrive

?700

Score : 131.81>

Here's the URL comparing my computer to my brothers....

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?...5901&doc2=65725

I don't know what it all means, but I am curious about why his beat mine on a few things. Well kinda worried actually...:pp Anyone any ideas?

Just did my brother's eMac -

1.25GHz G4 / 256Mb RAM / 80Gb / Radeon 9200 32Mb / SuperDrive

?700

Score : 131.81>

Here's the URL comparing my computer to my brothers....

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?...5901&doc2=65725

I don't know what it all means, but I am curious about why his beat mine on a few things. Well kinda worried actually...:pp Anyone any ideas?

Yeah that is weird NeYo, he is running a diffrent build of 10.3.3 i noticed, maybe when 10.3.4 comes out next week, you'll improve.

It looks like the G4 has a slightly better Altivec engine than the G5... I'm thinking the G5 only gets good if you've got big apps that take advantage of the new stuff, older 32-bit code does not seem much faster to me.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again the G4 is a VERY powerful chip, it's got a VERY efficent design (something to do with pipeline length, ask me for the video over iChat and i'll send you a video explaining it)

For some reason he also beats you in the read/write to Harddrive test:huh:: which can't be right:no::

Ok just ran it on my:

800Mhz iMac, 512MB, 60Gig, 100Mhz bus (yikes), GeForce2 MX

......... 77.02.

Not too bad I guess, the machine is over a year old (and was an old design when I bought it, it's basically the first iMac G4 with a diffrent confiuration)

Interesting ... hmmm.. the hard drive stuff had me curious too.. I think I'll benchmark again 2morro or something, and see how it fairs... it *SHOULDN'T* matter... but we'll see...

God I can't sleep :angry: - been in bed jus lying there for about an hr! :( ...how annoying?!

I noticed that my Harddrive out performed the G5 too.. seems odd considering mine's IDE and the G5 is SATA.

Link: http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?...5753&doc2=65725

The problems with SATA right now is that the other hardware is not really optimized for it.

My PC Mobo can handle SATA, but the reviews I ahve read said the HDs and other components are not ready for it. I will wait for the next gen SATA

ahhhh, are they not the same bus as a pc? (Agp) what with the 9800pro being so cheap at the mo

No it's standard AGP8x slot (changed just a bit with an extra connector on it just to add support for the Apple Display Connector, which powers a LCD and a USB Hub and the devices plugged into them), but ATI & nVidia like to charge more for Mac versions of their video cards even just as standalone products with standard DVI and VGA ports.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (128MB AGP)

Price: $349.00

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP

Price: $249.00

:wacko:

(Those prices are direct from ATI's website. Even though there are third party vendors for PC's, there aren't for Mac editions.)

Edited by Bling3k12