Should I Get Windows ME?

oh i remember the days of windows me...then the day i finally upgraded to xp. what a blissful, colourful event haha!

get windows 2000 sp4 !! installed it on my old machine (pentium200 , 48 mb ram) starts slowly , but after that it runs flawlessly , actually even better than 98SE! which is amazing on such an old machine like mine!

-No longer relies on Real Mode DOS (& Windows boots faster as a result)

True, it's not that bad... But this is where nearly all of Windows ME's problems come from. And to whoever said 98se has a better kernel, ME has a better kernel (it's newer) :rolleyes:

-No longer relies on Real Mode DOS (& Windows boots faster as a result) -- Wrong it still used DOS it just hid it from the user. Windows ME is more than half bad!

Not true, ME did NOT use DOS, try running DOS programs on it. They're emulated, not run as they would be on a DOS/Windows 98 machine. Some (a lot?) won't even work on Windows ME.

I ran ME on a second computer for over a year, the only problems I had were

self inflicted. If it's free try it, form your own opinion, don't be one of the sheep.

I dont understand all you people who had problems with it.

I used it perfectly during 2000-2001 without any problems whatsoever.

It was a nice improvement over 98, as it came with Media Player 7, nicer looking icons over 98's uglyness, system restore and a bunch of other stuff for the time it came out.

no. it made me cry.

LMAO!!!

The best line ever!!!

yeah I would take it... then sell it on e-bay to some poor smuck :D

*edit* bah didnt see pctuk's comment before :p

:blink: Lots of OTT responses i see, it just seems the 'in' thing to bash ME at every opertunity - but that was back in the year 2000. You guys are all 4 years out of date... ;)

If he got it for FREE he should install it and see how he goes, there is nothing to lose apart from having to reinstall 98 again which will take up all of 30 mins.... its not like his PC will explode or the Hard Drive will melt down.

One of the main problems i had with ME was that normal '95/98' drivers or software seemed to cause instability at times (especially the drivers) but once drivers arrived claiming proper ME compatibility most of the problems i had went away, after that it was the best 9x OS i had used. I moved over to 2000 but i used to duel boot as u couldnt beat ME for compatibilitys with older games - and 98 was showing its age.

So there you go, try it, if you like it keep it, if you have problems put 98 back on. But it would be silly to get rid of it based on other peoples comments/delusions/opinions and such without even trying it out first for yourself. :yes:

If you really are not familular with ME and it improvements cruse over to to this link here and have a read.

Windows ME wreaked havoc with some software conflicts, drivers, and was notorious for it's memory leakage...thus you couldn't keep an ME machine on too long, or it would freeze up requiring a restart. But this all depends on what any OS depends on....the hardware/software combinations. Too many too count to say that it will or won't work on any given machine unless it's tested.

I've used all the Windows OS's, and have found nothing more to say then this:

They all have their good points, and at others......THEY ALL SUCK ROYALLY.

Give it a spin, kick the tires....and have fun with it.

True, it's not that bad... But this is where nearly all of Windows ME's problems come from. And to whoever said 98se has a better kernel, ME has a better kernel (it's newer) :rolleyes:

Not true, ME did NOT use DOS, try running DOS programs on it. They're emulated, not run as they would be on a DOS/Windows 98 machine. Some (a lot?) won't even work on Windows ME.

Actually, you could put the options back into ME to exit to dos, etc. just like in 98. The problem is that DOS needs a properly configured autoxec.bat, config.sys. And MS was trying their best to hide DOS however you could configure it to run those programs. ME DID still run on top of DOS hence, it's still 9x. The only way to get away from running on top of DOS is to switch to an NT based system. WHich when ME came out was win2k. Remember when Bill Gates pronounced DOS dead? That was with XP, the first NT based windows available for consumers.

I ran ME for a while and I have to say, it's not as stable as 98 tweaked even after I tweaked the hell out of it.

Paul Thurrot's Windows ME info

Unhide Real Mode DOS

Edited by smoke

i ran ME for over 2 years and it's a great OS especially if your components are from around the time it was released im pretty sure all crashes were my fault.

I have been running a fresh install of XP on the same hardware as I ran a fresh install of ME for a while and it has never died the same way ME did after I left it running.

Asking if you should get ME is Kinda like asking do you want to shoot yourself in the foot. The answer should always be aresounding NO!

This has been a pmh message.

ME is the best DOS 9x OS that is for sure. Provided you have Computers parts on which it was built and tested.

ME is enhanced version of 98 sec which was enhanced version of win98.

ME is simpler than NT based and looks good.

But win XP is the best OS from MS.

SO if its for free. get it. see if you machines has the proper drivers and try it out. I am sure you would not look back.

Tweek it as win98sec and some of it own tweeks as well.

Guys did you know there are many versions of win ME. like MSDN, Retail, OEM etc.

MSDN version is i think really the best, altough Logically there shouldnt be any difference amognst them.

There are so many people around complaining of ME. and according to my own survey. Nearly 75% of them are the users of ME pirated edition. especially the copy in which any key or any filled spaces worked.

Any ways It would hurt to try it once. but again since you dont seems to be a guy how knows computers very well I advise you to stick to what ever you are familiar if the computer you want to insatll ME to is you main computer.