Why is Soccer so boring?

I'm sure some of you will immediately claim that I'm an ignorant American (I'm neither), but I just can't get over the fact that soccer is boring as hell.

I watched a tournament match recently and counted the number of "good scoring chances" (that is when the ball came even close to the net) each team had. There was at best, a good chance once every 5 minutes. And this continued for over 90 boring minutes.

Why is this sport so popular again? Is it because anyone can pick it up and play with one piece of equipment (the ball)?

Playing soccer is all right but its as boring as baseball to watch.

To quote the simpsons:

"He holds, he HOLDS IT, HE HOLDS IT!!!!!"

then due to boredom of fans wanting to leave a soccer riot break out.

Well that is obviously your opinion. Every chance that a team gets close to scoring is just builds up to the overall excitement of the match. If you've ever been to a real game or actually played in a real match or game you would probably know.

i used to play soccer back in the day when i was in 1st-4th grade and then i went into something more physical (hockey for 9.5 years) but it was really fun to play BORING as hell to watch

Personally, I really don't enjoy watching soccer unless it's the US winning in the World Cup. The last soccer game I watched was when they lost to Germany 2 years ago.

I do, however, LOVE playing Winning Eleven International 7 on PS2 ;)

Well i play soccer a lot, i travelled wtih my school to the ISST tournament this year.

I enjoy watching it because of the technique... but pertty much only a whole game if it's a team i care about.

soccer,golf,tennis, pickelball, lacross, and cup stacking are sooo boring

Tennis & Lax aren't too bad. I enjoy Tennis myself. :/

BASEBALL is boring, so is american football. normal football (or "soccer" as you call it) is fun to play and to watch. its a street game too which is easy to play anywhere and is fun.

ps. baseball should die already.

Soccer is not to my liking. Most people like sports with contact. I am not one of them however because i like badminton. Soccer might not be as boring if it had contact probably.

soccer,golf,tennis, pickelball, lacross, and cup stacking are sooo boring

Agreed! Although you left out Spelling bee, thats on ESPN sometimes, but then thats kinda interesting.

nothing compares to the boringness of watching test cricket :)

I must agree with this man :yes:

Soccer is not to my liking. Most people like sports with contact. I am not one of them however because i like badminton. Soccer might not be as boring if it had contact probably.

wtf!? No contact in soccer, I've played for 14 years and i've had 2 concussions, 2 sprained ankles, a few broken fingers, a bruised rib or 2, countless stiches and a dislocated shoulder, and a few bloody lips/noses from fighting (i've dished out my share as well) . . . then again this is canadian soccer i'm talking about, when I was in high school, we had a german exchange student, 2 mexicans and a brit, all of them were outstanding ball countrol wise and the brit in particular would prob bend a free kick around a 90 angle if he wanted, but when it came to the physical stuff, none of them would keep up with our high school teams, I geuss we just play a much more physical game because we lack the skill, but either way, yes, soccer is boring to watch

But who ever said American Football is boring to watch, get off the crack!

wtf!? No contact in soccer, I've played for 14 years and i've had 2 concussions, 2 sprained ankles, a few broken fingers, a bruised rib or 2, countless stiches and a dislocated shoulder, and a few bloody lips/noses from fighting (i've dished out my share as well) . . . then again this is canadian soccer i'm talking about, when I was in high school, we had a german exchange student, 2 mexicans and a brit, all of them were outstanding ball countrol wise and the brit in particular would prob bend a free kick around a 90 angle if he wanted, but when it came to the physical stuff, none of them would keep up with our high school teams, I geuss we just play a much more physical game because we lack the skill, but either way, yes, soccer is boring to watch

But who ever said American Football is boring to watch, get off the crack!

He didn't say soccer didn't have contact, quite the opposite.

it's only fun to play it, not watch it, it's one of the most boring sports to watch on TV EVER.

The world cup is fun to watch....and the most boring sport to watch on tv would have to be NHL Hockey...period.....its worse than NASCAR...well...****..actually...mabye NASCAR is worse