Why is Soccer so boring?

You're right, I haven't played, and don't have any interest in playing the sport.

Oh, and don't call me a moron, you don't even know me, you're just showing yourself up as an "ignorant moron" by throwing insults at everyone who disagrees with your opinion!!

Pete

Moron...maybe a little bit harsh.

Ignorant...yes. Ignorant means not knowing, or not fully knowledgable about a subject. In this case, you know nothing about football.

He didn't win last week. And there is nothing boring about the Grand Prix, if you think so you don't understand the sport.

I understand the skill but it was a fluke that Schumacher didn't win last week. Six wins in seven races is sad, typical F1 snoozefest racing. :sleep:

In this case, you know nothing about football.

I wouldn'y say that I know nothing about the game, because I do. I know more than enough to know that "football" is definately not my cup of tea!!!

I tried to sit and watch a superbowl (once) but got sooooo frustrated with the stopping and starting, constant adverts which seemed like every 5 minutes, blinking and missing the action, that I turned over and watched the paint drying on my next door neighbours fence.

In an earlier post you said that the game takes 3 hours to play!! wot is the actual timed duration of the game? an hour?

Pete

I understand the skill but it was a fluke that Schumacher didn't win last week.  Six wins in seven races is sad, typical F1 snoozefest racing.  :sleep:

Couldn't agree more. F1 at the moment is nothing but a procession of overpaid drivers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the race is usually won or lost in the pit lane, not out on the track.

Pete

American audiences seem to either:

Have a shorter attention span

OR

Be constantly bombarded by advertising.

I do not know which is the cause but am certainly not flaming. However, most American sports seem to cater for this (I think it's the advertising) so they stop and start often. A soccer (football) match of 45 mins per side is too long for American tv, and their audiences to get used to.

As for Formula 1... So many safety issues have created cars that seem to drive themselves. Skill is being diminished, to the point where drivers sit in the cars and sleep. It has got too boring.

I know the safety issues caused this, and it's needed, but the thrill is dead.

football rocks..especially champions league and the summer euro 2004 :D, F1 at the moment is geting very boring, nurberg race was a totall snoozefest :sleep:

American audiences seem to either:

Have a shorter attention span

OR

Be constantly bombarded by advertising.

Or just don't like soccer, simple.

just try and imagine how long would a soccer game be on american tv with all the commercials and stuff, if it was broadcasted in a way a superbowl does. and trust me, if america was good in soccer and they had a chance of winning the world cup, they would broadcast soccer more and more.

the only tv station that I can't stand due to long commerical is TBS superstation.

just try and imagine how long would a soccer game be on american tv with all the commercials and stuff, if it was broadcasted in a way a superbowl does. and trust me, if america was good in soccer and they had a chance of winning the world cup, they would broadcast soccer more and more.

the only tv station that I can't stand due to long commerical is TBS superstation.

Well in that case you would miss most of the match due to advertising, as the players dont stop for commercial breaks. Only at half time there is a 15 minute break

Well in that case you would miss most of the match due to advertising, as the players dont stop for commercial breaks. Only at half time there is a 15 minute break

wouldn't miss it, it just won'be live anymore. that's what I love about soccer too, it doesn't allow long commercials.

i played soccer for 6 years. annoying thing is that i either played in hottest summer or coldest winter. all i gained was some condition, thick muscle legs and the ability of drinking several liters of beer.

I'm sure some of you will immediately claim that I'm an ignorant American (I'm neither), but I just can't get over the fact that soccer is boring as hell.

I watched a tournament match recently and counted the number of "good scoring chances" (that is when the ball came even close to the net) each team had. There was at best, a good chance once every 5 minutes. And this continued for over 90 boring minutes.

Why is this sport so popular again? Is it because anyone can pick it up and play with one piece of equipment (the ball)?

hit the nail on the head..

its the most popular sport becasue its so easy to play..

having said that, watch euro 2004 when it gets to the quaters and semis, im sure those matches will be really good..

your standard league match is boring to the nth degree, but when things are on the line it gets far more exciting!

I dont even like it all that much :)

Soccer :no:

Tennis: watch :no:, play :yes:

Golf: watch :no:, play :yes:

Cricket :yes: (test and one day)

Rugby :yes:

Soccer :no:

Tennis: watch :no:, play :yes:

Golf: watch :no:, play :yes:

Cricket :yes: (test and one day)

Rugby :yes:

What! Are you mad? Cricket is the most hellishly boring game that has ever been made available to mankind.

Do you have a pulse?

not all football is boring, i find that lately the premership has got good, so much is happen and so many matchs you tought the bigger teams would win, for instance portsmouth won against man utd! who would of tought.

and there are some games which can be like 5-3 and there normal the bottom people that get them. i find the lower teams in the table are just as fun to watch then the bigger teams

I think this goes for every sport, you have to know the game to truly enjoy watching the professional forms of them.

people have their own opinion of sports. i grew up with soccer and i love it. others love other sports and that's just how it is. i just think that the title of this thread should have been do you find soccer boring instead of why is soccer so boring.

I tried to sit and watch a superbowl (once) but got sooooo frustrated with the stopping and starting, constant adverts which seemed like every 5 minutes, blinking and missing the action, that I turned over and watched the paint drying on my next door neighbours fence.
Congrats. No, really.
In an earlier post you said that the game takes 3 hours to play!! wot is the actual timed duration of the game? an hour?

Football is made up of 4 quarters of 15 minutes each. I estimated that to be about 3 hours with commercials, half time, etc.

Wouldn't it be easier if they took all that gear off and they ran like hell to the touchdown line? Surely all that armor slows them down.

Although I suppose then it would rugby and not American football.

it's only fun to play it, not watch it, it's one of the most boring sports to watch on TV EVER.

baseball and golf have taken that position ;)