Read: Trolling Revisited

at least I don't call people fanboy nor do I create threads in Linux or Windows sections compared them with OS X, not even mention jumping in Linux and Windows disccusions and claim "since they both don't work on PC, what's the point." I stay where I should and defend my OS and try helping other mac users if I can. How is this flaming? This is a discussion on how to prevent trolling in Mac forum, not a discussion on where/from whom they come. Maybe we expect to see more people like area91 in Mac forum? If that's the case, I can leave neowin for good. Big deal. There are tons of forums with more mature members anyways. Point taken? "don't count on it." --Why will dashboard be F12!i>, by nuka_t @ Jul 3 2004, 00:41)

awwwww

you copied me agai:blush:h:

Your sig is inflammatory and the way you respond to people is. Damn people is a computer not a religion. When you all realise that then we wont have trolling.

you n yours too.

oh, my sig is from nuka_t if u didn't notice. it serves to make fun of his old sig. This is a mac forum, not a windows, linux or os comparison. When you realize that then we won't have trolling. This is a discussion on how to prevent not how to start and who start it. When you realize that then we won't have trolling. Now if you desire to go on, i will play along :)

@nuka_t: Being copied is the highest form of flattery ;)

Edited by session

:( What the hell is trolling? :(

according to corrosive23, the whatever i say is trolling ;)

Edit: The way I defend my choice(s) of OS

Edited by session

according to corrosive23, the whatever i say is trollin;);)

Edit: The way I defend my choice(s) of OS

No, the way you respond as if your choice is superior to all other and that everyone else is stupid by not chosing that is stupid is what i mean by trolling.

Now if you desire to go on, i will play alon:):)

No offence mate, but I think this is a big part of the problem. I think the mods envisage you leaving it to them... Personally I dunno how often they are around, to deal with 'problems', but I'd imagine they are hoping rather than 'playing along' (which *could* maybe get you banned in the process?) you'd report instances of trolling to them, and leave them to deal with it. Much i guess, like you would in your daily life, not get involved and call the police to deal with issues... However this would only work, if mods were around often enough (Which nobody knows if they are, or not?!) to deal with it all, before it could get out of hand... I know for sure, if i reported many posts, and nothinappearedi> to happen, it would begin to frustrate me also, and i too might end up 'playing along' with trolls... So i appreciate your situation too, 'Session'.

The way that Neowin has grown and also the Mac community in it, has anyone considered starting a "sister" site like www.neomac.net or something? I realize that address is for sale from those "buy a lot of domains and sell them" people, but it was an example.

And by no way do I mean do split Neowin, or say that Mac users don't belong in Neowin. I just see a very active Mac community that might attract a bigger Mac base by going more specialized...

No offence mate, but I think this is a big part of the problem. I think the mods envisage you leaving it to them... Personally I dunno how often they are around, to deal with 'problems', but I'd imagine they are hoping rather than 'playing along' (which *could* maybe get you banned in the process?) you'd report instances of trolling to them, and leave them to deal with it. Much i guess, like you would in your daily life, not get involved and call the police to deal with issues... However this would only work, if mods were around often enough (Which nobody knows if they are, or not?!) to deal with it all, before it could get out of hand... I know for sure, if i reported many posts, and nothing appeared to happen, it would begin to frustrate me also, and i too might end up 'playing along' with trolls... So i appreciate your situation too, 'Session'.

I appreciate that :) but you know what you'd do sometimes when you're disappointed with police - and when you've reported crimes to them many times: you just wanna defend yourself and you wouldn't care if you'd get arrested any longer.

(if somebody breaks in your house and you call 911, but nobody comes, what will you do?)

@corrosive23: well, at least i don't insult other OS and at least i don't start it. I just... "played alone." I don't think Mac is superior than 'the other guys' but I don't think the other guys can come in and say how terrible os x is without reasoning -- that's what happens frequently lately, isn't it?

I know for sure, if i reported many posts, and nothing appeared to happen, it would begin to frustrate me also

I know that I have reported posts in the past and little or nothing has been done to the offending poster. In fact, I've been accused by a mod in this forum of causing problems because I pointed out someone's trolling behavior by comparing them to Area91. Yes, it is frustrating, when I spend a considerable amount of time trying to defend the Mac section from the trolls and flamers who are constantly drawn here from the Linux and Windows sections, only to have complaints about them ignored by the mods.

I know that I have reported posts in the past and little or nothing has been done to the offending poster. In fact, I've been accused by a mod in this forum of causing problems because I pointed out someone's trolling behavior by comparing them to Area91. Yes, it is frustrating, when I spend a considerable amount of time trying to defend the Mac section from the trolls and flamers who are constantly drawn here from the Linux and Windows sections, only to have complaints about them ignored by the mods.

That's half the problem right there. It isn't your "job" to defend the Mac section from anyone. By doing so, you break the rules, and the whole thing snowballs. It happens everytime. I have no doubt that if some of the Mac users in here (you know who you are) would ignore the troll posts, the problem wouldn't be as big. Who's the bigger man or woman here? If you and others continue to do so, you will probably find yourself on that Mac restricted group. Hopefully sooner than later.

Sure some Mac users may not go into windows forums and say stupid things, but they sure say their share of stupid things here. When you "play along" or "defend the Mac section" you are doing two things. 1) breaking the rules, 2) inciting the people who come in and diss the Mac. What happens if you ignore them? I GUARANTEE they will go away. Instead of having whole threads turn into flame fests simply because one person couldn't be bothered to ignore a troll, you only have one trolling post that the mods need to worry about.

Every thread that has been closed because it's so far gone into flamedom, could have stayed open if Jim Bob or whomever would have ignored a troll. It's that easy. People, if you just simply unable to ignore the trolls...if you're not mature enough to "hold your tongue", get the hell out of here. No one wants you here. I really could care less what OS you use.

Why not make a pinned thread where everyone can go in and flame, but with good arguements, and keep it in there. 8D It'll be so fun!

because it will "spill over" into other threads...like it already does.

because it will "spill over" into other threads...like it already does.

To add to this:

aren't "Flame" and "good arguements[sic]" mutually exclusive by definition?

Its really frustating indeed. I was flamed for posting my thought (which in no way offended/defended ANYTHING) and got flamed seriously. The Retarded Trolls seem to gang up these days:

https://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=gamers&id=21917

I've reported it and no action has been taken yet.

P.S. If you look into the comments of the newstory about the passing away of PearPC author, then you will see a couple of more trolls.

Its really frustating indeed. I was flamed for posting my thought (which in no way offended/defended ANYTHING) and got flamed seriously. The Retarded Trolls seem to gang up these days:

https://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=gamers&id=21917

I've reported it and no action has been taken yet.

P.S. If you look into the comments of the newstory about the passing away of PearPC author, then you will see a couple of more trolls.

I took care of it. But you may want to remember that "Hmmmm" is not really a comment that furthers conversation in a news story. ;)

I took care of it. But you may want to remember that "Hmmmm" is not really a comment that furthers conversation in a news story. ;)

Thanks, appreciate it.

I read the newstory first which had only benches by Anandtech, so I wanted to refer to other sources as well before I commented. I modified my comment to "hmmm..." so that I dont sound misinformed. However "hmmm..." is still a lot better than the single smiley nonsense comments posted by others these days. Why dont Trolls flame them ?

i dont see how what people are saying in the ppc thread is considered trolling. also, saying something like

"macs suck cuase they smell funny" (just a madeup insult)

is different than saying

"macs suck!!111!!11!!"

about the idea of a seperate forum for mac users, i completly agree. just look at the most recent posts list here

iPod Problems

Apple 30GB iPod 3G Mac/Wind...

Free vBulletin Skins?

iPod software...

Y'z Dock VS Object Dock

[rel] Tiger

(3) High-res Counter-Strike...

Tiger Wallpaper Needed

Klingon version of Go0gle

1 ipod

2ipod

3 appropriate

4ipod

5mac emulator

6mac emulator

7appropriate

8mac

9stupid

we need ot get this crap out of here. a seperate linux forum would be awesome too.

iPods run on PCs too - about 60% of the ones sold are destined to run with Windows machines.

EDIT: Macintosh emulators are of no interest to Macintosh owners, and the wallpaper (or Desktop Picture as it's know in the Macintosh world) is of interest to users of any platform - it's source just happens to be an Apple product.

I'm fed up with trolling as much as the next person, I've tried ignoring it for years but it gets just out of hand, it doesnt seem as bad as it used to be, some trolls gave up on trolling over the ages, but as soon as there is a negative article about anything to do with apple, the trollers come back :(