Read: Trolling Revisited

That's half the problem right there. It isn't your "job" to defend the Mac section from anyone. By doing so, you break the rules, and the whole thing snowballs. It happens everytime. I have no doubt that if some of the Mac users in here (you know who you are) would ignore the troll posts, the problem wouldn't be as big. Who's the bigger man or woman here? If you and others continue to do so, you will probably find yourself on that Mac restricted group. Hopefully sooner than later.

Sure some Mac users may not go into windows forums and say stupid things, but they sure say their share of stupid things here. When you "play along" or "defend the Mac section" you are doing two things. 1) breaking the rules, 2) inciting the people who come in and diss the Mac. What happens if you ignore them? I GUARANTEE they will go away. Instead of having whole threads turn into flame fests simply because one person couldn't be bothered to ignore a troll, you only have one trolling post that the mods need to worry about.

Sorry, but that is a load of BS, and you know that as well as I do. Trolls will continue trolling until they are banned.

So, what are you suggesting that someone do? Stand back and allow trolls come in here and spew lies or half-truths with no response from those who know better?

Remember, there is an old saying, the only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing (or something like that).

Sorry, but that is a load of BS, and you know that as well as I do. Trolls will continue trolling until they are banned.

So, what are you suggesting that someone do? Stand back and allow trolls come in here and spew lies or half-truths with no response from those who know better?

Remember, there is an old saying, the only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing (or something like that).

If you want to see a good example of someone that argues his point without turning into a troll themselves look at theevnshow. I have yet to see him result to personal insults when he is refuting lies and half-truths.

Some people just can't seem to seperate themselves from their operating systems and take any slur on macs as a slur upon themselves.

The only way that trolling is going to stop is if people quit seeing themselves as seperate sides of some idiot computer arguement. I mean ****, we all use computers what does it really ****ing matter if its a mac or a pc. You are not better than someone else because of what platform you use.

If you want to see a good example of someone that argues his point without turning into a troll themselves look at theevnshow. I have yet to see him result to personal insults when he is refuting lies and half-truths.

Some people just can't seem to seperate themselves from their operating systems and take any slur on macs as a slur upon themselves.

The only way that trolling is going to stop is if people quit seeing themselves as seperate sides of some idiot computer arguement. I mean ****, we all use computers what does it really ****ing matter if its a mac or a pc. You are not better than someone else because of what platform you use.

Fine. However, until the mods (yes, including you), get off their butts and start taking a proactive stance against the obvious trolls by restricting them or banning them, I will still reply to at least point out factual errors in their posts.

If the current mods don't have the time or inclination to take care of their sections, then perhaps other people should be allowed to take over their duties (as you have pointed out, The Evn Show is a shining example in this section).

No Offense but if swearing is against the rules, I don't expect to see masked words (****) in ANYONE's posts! Let me know if using a swearing word as an strong adverb or an adjective is not against the rules!

No Offense but if swearing is against the rules, I don't expect to see masked words (****) in ANYONE's posts! Let me know if using a swearing word as an strong adverb or an adjective is not against the rules!

If you look at the rules you will seWe do not tolerate circumvention of our word filterb>. The word filter is there so you don't have to look at them.

Fine. However, until the mods (yes, including you), get off their butts and start taking a proactive stance against the obvious trolls by restricting them or banning them, I will still reply to at least point out factual errors in their posts.

If the current mods don't have the time or inclination to take care of their sections, then perhaps other people should be allowed to take over their duties (as you have pointed out, The Evn Show is a shining example in this section).

Fine and I'll point you to thisNeowin requires that members respect the decision of moderators.b>

If you look at the rules you will see We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter. The word filter is there so you don't have to look at them.

That doesn't answer it, does it, if:

No Cursing or Swear words. We encourage you to use our Communities as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper adjectives to express yourself.

makes more sense if you're saying i can use f word in my posts too because:

We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter or abuse upon another member

:/

- Just a simple YES/NO question! :/

Edited by session

I thought that was pretty darn clear: The key word is "circumvention" here - I guess it works something like the DMCA: You can rip your DVDs to your hard drive in America, but if you disable the CSS so you can play them back using a free/open source DVD-player then you're breaking a law. Circumvention would be something like using encoded or extended characters like "?" in place of "u" in everyone's favorite word that starts with 'F' and ends with "uck"*.

Same sort of thing here: Using "dirty" language and letting the filter do it's job is tolerated (or such is my understanding) but discouraged because nobody wants to read a post like:

"**** my god damn ******** mother was such a dirty **** head and **** **** **** and then she **** *** ***** ** in her **** **** and she'll need a doctor to get it out again."

* I'm of course talking about Firetr?ck

Fine and I'll point you to this

Neowin requires that members respect the decision of moderators.

Should I point this one out?

No Flaming, Personal attacks such as flaming, instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse or mocking of members in forum posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight and moderated accordingly.

That is exactly my complaint. The mods do not appear to be doing their jobs as laid out in that rule, which is deleting flaming posts on sight. When members point out a flaming post to the mods here, they get reprimanded for "picking fights", etc., instead of the actual flamer.

Respect is earned, not given. And one particular mod in this section (I won't say any names) is a LONG way from earning that respect from me.

When members point out a flaming post to the mods here, they get reprimanded for "picking fights", etc., instead of the actual flamer.

Use p_report.gif and you will never get in trouble for flaming or trolling towards another member. Respond to them instead, and you will fall into the same boat they are in.

Use http://data.neowin.net/forum/style_images/...74/p_report.gif and you will never get in trouble for flaming or trolling towards another member. Respond to them instead, and you will fall into the same boat they are in.

It's quite apparent that you haven't followed my previous statements. As I have said before, I HAVE used the report button, only to be told by a mod that they were not going to do anything about a certain poster.

Get this through your head. The mods in the Mac section are NOT doing their jobs.

It's quite apparent that you haven't followed my previous statements.  As I have said before, I HAVE used the report button, only to be told by a mod that they were not going to do anything about a certain poster.

Get this through your head.  The mods in the Mac section are NOT doing their jobs.

It's quite obvious their (mods) definition of what a troll/flamer is, IS in fact different than yours. Keep whining over it if you want...you're call. Some advice would be to get some thicker skin and respect the mods decision. If you can't do that, than you'll find yourself on the short end of the banning stick.

I'll repeat myself in case you didn't get the point. If you ignore the troll, there won't be a problem. Period. If you simply point out where they are wrong, there won't be a problem. The problem comes when you and others troll/flame right back. From there it escalates and whole threads are closed because one or two people couldn't stop bickering.

Edited by superfula

• 3 months later...

hi, after reading the majority of this thread, i have come to this conulision,

A) Flaming/Trolling is apart of any Fourm, however people need to be mature and grow the **** up, inculding my self. :-)

B) People need to leave Mod jobs to the Moderators, and everyone just needs to keep to them self.

C) Were all bastered's and asswipes, and we need to get over our sel's while we here at neowin.

D) Why does it matter what someone else thinks about an OS or software that you happen to like? Do any of you really think that your going to be able to convince a hardcore windows user to switch to mac? Don't you have something better to do with your life, rather then argue?

E) And finally, just ingore post/comments that you dont agree with, and if there breaking a rule, then click the report button and move the **** on, no need to respond to ****faced ********ers like that. just move on. Yes it really can be that simple! I promise

hottoast