iTunes 4.6

so let me get this straight, you can also use you Airport Base Station or do you need ot purchase both things can someone break this down for me, sorry

Really? Strange, so could you have the remainder on a second wireless network? I've never really toyed with wireless networking so I'm not too familiar with it, but I guess if you set up different locations or something and set it as you move about the house? /shrug

Yes, you can have 3 or 4 networks in one area before they start slowing down because of the shared frequencies.

I think every 3 channels is its own frequency, so you can have a network on ch.1, 3, 6, and 9 all at 54mbits/sec. After that they will be sharing the airwaves, so slowdowns will occur.

so let me get this straight, you can also use you Airport Base Station or do you need ot purchase both things can someone break this down for me, sorry

The Airport Express can be standalone, or a range extender + airtunes for a ABS.

The the Express really is a unique device, just about anything wireless you could want can be done with it.

Here is what its capabilities are right now:

Airtunes from any wireless computer in range with iTunes installed.

Range Extender for WDS compatible devices.

Wireless Print server, a printer can then be further shared with wired computers if one computer is wired/wireless.

NAT Router, wireless only.

Wireless Access Point for an existing router/hub/switch.

Things I *think* will be possible:

ethernet to wireless bridge for things like game consoles

So the possibilities are endless, this is a great device at a pretty low price. Plus the airport 4.0 software used to configure this is going to be great compared to web based setups on most wireless products.

Edited by PureEdit

Wow it would be nice to have one of them, as I am upstairs and the router is downstairs. I get okay signal, but it would be nice to have this to get better signal.