Cracking through the WinXP login...

Originally posted by T0Y S0LDIER

i say move the computer into the parents room. when they leave, lock the door to the room. by doing this, the kid cant use it when they are not home and he can try to use it at nite either because he would wake his parents and if they dont want to do that, then i agree with the keyboard thing, take it away.

TS

Amazingly they did... when they're gone he figured out how to pick the lock to get in. They're actually looking for one now that he won't be able to pick. But yeah, the keyboard thing is the best idea, I just need to get her to do it. haha

And he's 15... as far as grade wise... he's failed 7th grade once and had to stay back, and now is about to fail 9th cause he refuses to do anything school related. He says that if he fails it makes his parents look bad so it's in essence punishing them... which it's not. lol

Well..although good for a few minutes, taking the keyboard isn't that big of a deterrant. You can buy one for $10 if you want. He'll probably just snag a keyboard from somewhere and use it when the 'rents are gone.

the other option would be lock the kid up, hes stolen credit cards, broken into places and molested a child, he needs profesional help and should be locked up some where. as harsh as it seems, the kid is a risk to credit and health. you say that he has mades threats to shoot people, well, even though he doesnt have a gun, he may be able to get one and just because he doesnt have a gun or cant get a gun, does not mean that he can not use another option. its obvious that the child has problems and if he is as messed up as you say he is, whats to say that if his mother takes the keyboard away he doesnt try to take her out with a kitchen knife. i wish your friend luck and i hope you can get her to realize the problem she has here. good luck

TS

I don't know what exactly they do to lock the system but I know when I leave I just hit Win+L and that locks the computer. I don't know of anyway around it but I'm sure someone has found one. The other question I have is could there be a keystroke monitor on the system. If they don't have something on there that they're really attached to I would suggest a format and then set Windows up with a good password and make sure that he doesn't see it (ie set it up when he is gone or in a different room). Just some thoughts. Tell her good luck.

Originally posted by T0Y S0LDIER

the other option would be lock the kid up, hes stolen credit cards, broken into places and molested a child, he needs profesional help and should be locked up some where. as harsh as it seems, the kid is a risk to credit and health. you say that he has mades threats to shoot people, well, even though he doesnt have a gun, he may be able to get one and just because he doesnt have a gun or cant get a gun, does not mean that he can not use another option. its obvious that the child has problems and if he is as messed up as you say he is, whats to say that if his mother takes the keyboard away he doesnt try to take her out with a kitchen knife. i wish your friend luck and i hope you can get her to realize the problem she has here. good luck

TS

That is very true and his step-father has suggested it a NUMBER of times and she agrees sometimes, but the agreement is always something like "We will if he ever does it again" but they never do anything about it. I worry about their safety as well, and it's pretty much reached that point now... his stepfather has now said if he does anything else, he's gonna lock him up... no matter what his mother says. So we'll see what happens now.

Originally posted by Cheif_Bigfoot

I don't know what exactly they do to lock the system but I know when I leave I just hit Win+L and that locks the computer. I don't know of anyway around it but I'm sure someone has found one. The other question I have is could there be a keystroke monitor on the system. If they don't have something on there that they're really attached to I would suggest a format and then set Windows up with a good password and make sure that he doesn't see it (ie set it up when he is gone or in a different room). Just some thoughts. Tell her good luck.

Win-L does lock the computer, but if he knows the password he can still get through. As far as the keystroke detector, I wasn't for sure if that would work in the logon screen. Does anyone know?

On a personal note... where in ND are you Cheif_Bigfoot? Just curious... lived there for 5 years myself. lol

I cant believe this had never come up here...

Maybe the kid made an AdminPassword disk when the admin password was blank... this way, he can use it whenever (on that sys) to get it, no matter the password. the disk just nulls it and there ya go, squeky clean. I made one of my dad's computer just for the purpose of him forgetting it.

now, about the kid.. what u really need to do is send him to some chinees boot camp. sure, he might come back with some fingers or a limb missing, but at least he wont just hate you.

also, there are ways to get passed the absence of a keyboard... its called the "on screen keyboard" - just press [WINDOWs KEY]-[R] type in (%SYSTEMROOT%system32osk.exe) press enter, and vala!

Originally posted by Murdoc

also, there are ways to get passed the absence of a keyboard... its called the "on screen keyboard" - just press [WINDOWs KEY]-[R] type in (%SYSTEMROOT%system32osk.exe) press enter, and vala!

Ummm.. but wouldn't you NEED a keyboard to access the "on screen keyboard"? lol As you said "just press [WINDOWs KEY]-[R] type in (%SYSTEMROOT%system32osk.exe)" How can you press it without the board? lol haha :D

As far as the chinese boot camp... I like your style. lol

Originally posted by Phinal Phantasm

Ummm.. but wouldn't you NEED a keyboard to access the "on screen keyboard"? lol As you said "just press [WINDOWs KEY]-[R] type in (%SYSTEMROOT%system32osk.exe)" How can you press it without the board? lol haha :D lol

LOL

Originally posted by Phinal Phantasm

Ummm.. but wouldn't you NEED a keyboard to access the "on screen keyboard"? lol As you said "just press [WINDOWs KEY]-[R] type in (%SYSTEMROOT%system32osk.exe)" How can you press it without the board? lol haha :D

I know what you mean... but here...

Just point... and click.

Nifty, eh?

now someones gonna also take the mouse...

EDIT:// dont worry, the page is clean

Hi,

I'm also interested in your neat tool :) Can you email to me: tnsi@hotmail.com

Thanx much,

Originally posted by MxxCon

i made linux boot disk which can read fat/ntfs(only on internal ide, not scsi or external controler), it dumps SAM database and can decrypt, not bruteforce, nt/2k/xp passwords in about 15min

Originally posted by hurting101

5 bucks says that kid is on this thread as we speak, taking in the ideas :p

Nah, he's not... has no idea about Neowin... lol hahaha Poor poor soul that he is. To be without Neowin, is to be without... a soul? haha

Originally posted by AdamXP

well in the movies, the mother alwayscries about it, then the son feels sorry for her, so he starts 2 be good. why dont u try that?

Good idea, but it's been tried... so has threatening as well as 100 other things. lol Thanks for the thought though! ;)

Well, im bettin with all the info we [neowinonians] know and stuff we can do, we can bring any multibillionaire's company to their knees... either that or a fairly sized continent.....

:: gets evil ideas... ::

btw, the admin disk isnt that hard to make... its like a backdoor security feature that M$ put into the program for the"not so genius" that forgets their password on the XP box. i think its more like an achilles's heel in the whole security thing...

oh well, im off to take over fiji... wish me luck...

Edit/additon:// hey, just send him over to fiji after i take control.. i could use all the slave labor i can find! and what the hell, ill lop off a few fingers for the hell of it.

Originally posted by Murdoc

Well, im bettin with all the info we [neowinonians] know and stuff we can do, we can bring any multibillionaire's company to their knees... either that or a fairly sized continent.....

:: gets evil ideas... ::

btw, the admin disk isnt that hard to make... its like a backdoor security feature that M$ put into the program for the"not so genius" that forgets their password on the XP box. i think its more like an achilles's heel in the whole security thing...

oh well, im off to take over fiji... wish me luck...

Edit/additon:// hey, just send him over to fiji after i take control.. i could use all the slave labor i can find! and what the hell, ill lop off a few fingers for the hell of it.

You got that right. I think we all need to start a company! And only Fiji? I guess we all got to start somewhere! ;) Hmmm... I'll send him over for sure! lol But what do *I* get? Hmmm...? :evil:

2nd child, i know if i had a baby brother, i would be jealous, but for him, it would be to show how much she cared about him when he was little, 2 show how much time and effort she put in

Originally posted by AdamXP

and why doesnt she sell thecomp she hasnow, and get palm-pilots (hard 2 access the net with them)

Palm pilots? lol hahaha Um... all I can think is.... why? lol hahaha Palm pilots? lol hahahahaha :cheeky: I know *I* wouldn't give up my system for a Palm Pilot (easier to check Neowin this way... lol hahaha). Would you? hahaha

EDIT-- My girlfriend (who also knows the kid) wanted me to rag on you about your comment. She said it was very stupid and you should think before you write. *I* however didn't think I should. So she wanted me to at least tell you she wanted to. To let you know, she's not a member... was just reading what I was. lol hahaha She also wanted me to include that his step father isn't the most angelic man there is either. lol (She hates him!) He uses the comp for games (and we suspect pron... but can't catch him at it... lol He clears the temps and everything regularly. lol) So now that I said all that, I can live in peace... I hope. HAHAHAHAHA :roll:

Oh my god! This kid is a menace! I wouldn't even wait until he plays up next, there is a massive potential for a real disaster, not that you people can't recognize that. Personally, I think securing the PC has got to be very low of list of priorities given his history. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I think taking their computer over to your place, backing up all they're data, formatting it and then re-installing Home and using a mixture of suggestions that have been on this thread, not to mention whacking a password on the BIOS and change the boot order so he can't boot from the floppy to use the password decrypter for XP (I don't remember seeing anyone saying that, if someone has, sorry!). You'll probably end up making their computer a lot more stable and faster too, because I'm guessing they probably installed it themselves over Me or something or possibly bought it from a big computer chain with all the spam with it.

Good luck!