Why I'd use a Mac over a Windows PC any day

and to everybody else who's talking about their system never bsod'ing:

are you sure it's not the auto-restart kicking in and you're just not seeing it? seriously, just because you've had 5 bsod's in the past 12 years does not impress me, or anyone else. THEY HAPPEN.

And so do kernel panics as long as we're generalizing.

shining arcanine:

"Psychologists have a name for that. It is called Projection, when you state what you think of yourself about other people. You should see someone regarding that."

no, he really is a moron...  or perhaps you are paul thurott?

that guy who was talking about how dells never bsod:

yea, that's bs...  my aunt has a dell, it bsod's almost everyday.  sure, let's buy a dell!

and to everybody else who's talking about their system never bsod'ing:

are you sure it's not the auto-restart kicking in and you're just not seeing it?  seriously, just because you've had 5 bsod's in the past 12 years does not impress me, or anyone else.  THEY HAPPEN.

Thanks for the complement, I'm honored that you would mistake me for him.

I didn't read his comment about Dells but it sounds as if you have it out of context. Have you considered the possibility that he might have meant that newer Dell computers do not crash due to hardware issues while stressing how extremely rarely they do crash due to hardware issues?

By the way, my PC rarely crashes and I have reboot on crash disabled. :)

how **** do you multitask on OSX with 30 programs on 192 mb or ram? this is one magic powerbook.

it's called a pagefile. perhaps you've heard of it? he probably has a billion pageouts, but osx can do it.

nuka_t: eww, clever insult. on a fresh install of winxp, aka no programs installed, nothing changed, how can winxp NOT burn a cd? how is this user error? it's never microsoft's fault, is it.

mav phoenix: i'm sure they happen, it's the frequency that matters. as far back as i remember, there has only been one "i just got a kernel panic" thread vs. an endless number of "i just got a bsod, please help!" threads.

you ran windows xp with only 256 megs of ram and wonder why you had problems? Sheesh

Yeah, but now he's running OS X with even less, with fewer problems. What's your point? 256MB is twice XP's minimum requirement.

mav phoenix: i'm sure they happen, it's the frequency that matters. as far back as i remember, there has only been one "i just got a kernel panic" thread vs. an endless number of "i just got a bsod, please help!" threads.

Well, you gotta consider that the majority of our users are Windows users, so that'll skew the statistic...

nuka_t: eww, clever insult.  on a fresh install of winxp, aka no programs installed, nothing changed, how can winxp NOT burn a cd?  how is this user error?  it's never microsoft's fault, is it.

If Windows XP can burn to a CD on a fresh install? Why shouldn't it be able to burn to a CD on an old install as well?

are you SURE you have reboot on crash disabled shining arcanine? you windowz users are soopid sumtines and dont now wut u r taking about. it is probably teh crashing and then teh restarting and then its a M$ conspiricy that moves teh mouse over teh login name and pputs your password in 4 u and trys to make it looook like teh nothis is teh happening.

god damn i hate mac fanboys like oik. my hat goes off to the evn show for being as unbiased as possible and fair in his comparisons.

nuka_t: eww, clever insult. on a fresh install of winxp, aka no programs installed, nothing changed, how can winxp NOT burn a cd? how is this user error? it's never microsoft's fault, is it.

well, my statistic is 3/3 on an old compaq desktop, a dell d800 laptop and on an emachines desktop.

your statistic is 0/3 on your pc's. why is it that i have 3/3 on three differnet machines while you have 0?

Some Mac owners are so full of sh*t. Windows DOES NOT show you a BSOD every day, it happens rarely and I personally haven't seen one since switching from Windows ME to Windows XP.

I CAN burn CD's with XP without installing 3rd party software and it does not produce coasters.

But nooooo, the mighty Mac is soooooo much better. It can do everything that Windows XP can, but 10 times better. And really you are a better person if you own a mac :pinch:

By the way you all talk about Windows my machines must be some of the greates miracles in the history. Perhaps I could show them in public I would get rich if that's true what you are telling. WindowsXP and OSX are on similar stability level and similar requirements for reformat, yes most Mac users I know format theire machines frequently.

I'm gonna start "Run WindowsXP correctly" classes and charge expensive for them and I'll be a billioner for sure then because it's so easy to run it correclty easier than using it wrong like you.

Thanks for the complement, I'm honored that you would mistake me for him.

I didn't read his comment about Dells but it sounds as if you have it out of context. Have you considered the possibility that he might have meant that newer Dell computers do not crash due to hardware issues while stressing how extremely rarely they do crash due to hardware issues?

By the way, my PC rarely crashes and I have reboot on crash disabled. :)

if you think it's a compliment, that's fine. but it's not.

thurott did not make the comment about dell's, someone in this thread said it on page 2 i think.

and xp's cd burning has never worked. old install, new install, with those little optimizers, etc.

nuka_t:

"god damn i hate mac fanboys like oik. my hat goes off to the evn show for being as unbiased as possible and fair in his comparisons."

and i hate morons like you who troll mac forums.

"well, my statistic is 3/3 on an old compaq desktop, a dell d800 laptop and on an emachines desktop.

your statistic is 0/3 on your pc's. why is it that i have 3/3 on three differnet machines while you have 0?"

and mine is on a homebuilt, emachines desktop, and hp desktop.

why do i have 0/3? maybe it was because i changed the time zone during the install :rolleyes: why do some people face dozens of bsod's in one year, while some people only have 5 in 12 years? it must be those "dodgy" drivers [oh wait, most of those are written by microsoft, never mind] and registry corruption [wait, the registry is a ms idea as well. since we know ms is never at fault and your world, it must be magic pixies in the computer!]

When this thread was started, the poster kindly asked for this to not degenerate into a flame war. At this point I'm kindly asking for a mod to either close the thread or to at least remove the flaming comments from both sides.

I do have one question. Why is it that certain Windows users (not naming any names) cannot resist constantly coming into the Mac forums and starting trouble? Yes, I know there are some Mac users that do the same thing in the Windows forums, but no where near to the extent that the Windows users do.

Please people, respect the wishes of the person who started this thread and leave the flaming at the door.

why do some people face dozens of bsod's in one year, while some people only have 5 in 12 years? it must be those "dodgy" drivers [oh wait, most of those are written by microsoft, never mind]

Some people are stupid?

Also, Microsoft doesnt write most video card drivers, whcih usualy cause the problem.

When this thread was started, the poster kindly asked for this to not degenerate into a flame war. At this point I'm kindly asking for a mod to either close the thread or to at least remove the flaming comments from both sides.

I do have one question. Why is it that certain Windows users (not naming any names) cannot resist constantly coming into the Mac forums and starting trouble? Yes, I know there are some Mac users that do the same thing in the Windows forums, but no where near to the extent that the Windows users do.

Firstly, he brought it on himself.

Secondly, I cant help myself!

He didn't bring anything on himself, he posted his experience and specifically asked that if others didn't agree, or wanted to flame, then to just ignore the post.

Here's my "opinion"... If you don't like it, then don't comment, and please don't start a flame war, that's not what this thread was intended for. I wrote this article this morning because I needed to kill time..

Oh, and I'm glad to see that you figured out that you were one of the people I was talking about.

roadwarrior the starter of this thread started telling lies, you also need to format Macs if you don't maintain it, just like windows, but I have seen many crazy people formating WindowsXP for no reson when creating new user account would give even the same resaults as fresh install.

are you SURE you have reboot on crash disabled shining arcanine? you windowz users are soopid sumtines and dont now wut u r taking about. it is probably teh crashing and then teh restarting and then its a M$ conspiricy that moves teh mouse over teh login name and pputs your password in 4 u and trys to make it looook like teh nothis is teh happening.

god damn i hate mac fanboys like oik. my hat goes off to the evn show for being as unbiased as possible and fair in his comparisons.

Don't make ignorant generalizations regarding a person (mysqlf) who obviously knows (if I didn't know, I wouldn't have said I had it off) what he is talking about.

By the way, since you seem to be concerned regarding my ability to turn off the feature, I'll tell you how to turn it off. Go to System Properties (I like to use Start>Right click "My Computer">Properties)>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings>Uncheck "automatically restart." :p

and xp's cd burning has never worked. old install, new install, with those little optimizers, etc.

and i hate morons like you who troll mac forums.

and mine is on a homebuilt, emachines desktop, and hp desktop.

why do i have 0/3? maybe it was because i changed the time zone during the install :rolleyes: why do some people face dozens of bsod's in one year, while some people only have 5 in 12 years? it must be those "dodgy" drivers [oh wait, most of those are written by microsoft, never mind] and registry corruption [wait, the registry is a ms idea as well. since we know ms is never at fault and your world, it must be magic pixies in the computer!]

it DOES ****ing work. get over it you moron.

im not a moron, and im not trolling. im using facts and not just saying "windowws is t3h leet" like you are.

the people that face doz3ens of BSODs are morons and windows is only protecting them from themselves. hmmm, i never knew microsoft wrote ATI drivers. you are a dumbass if you think that most of my drivers are written by MS. everything on my mobo is written by nvidia(including sound, itnegrated video, USB, ethernet, the list goes on and on), my video card drivers are written my ATI and my mouse and keyboard drivers are logitech.

of course registry corruption messes up your computer. the trick is to NOT corrupt your registry. if you arent a nosy little newb, that wont happen. average users and power users can use windows just fine. morons like you cant and have to spend extra for a mouse that isnt as confusing.

Don't make ignorant generalizations regarding a person (mysqlf) who obviously knows (if I didn't know, I wouldn't have said I had it off) what he is talking about.

By the way, since you seem to be concerned regarding my ability to turn off the feature, I'll tell you how to turn it off. Go to System Properties (I like to use Start>Right click "My Computer">Properties)>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings>Uncheck "automatically restart." :p

you didnt catch the sarcasm?

Some Mac owners are so full of sh*t. Windows DOES NOT show you a BSOD every day, it happens rarely and I personally haven't seen one since switching from Windows ME to Windows XP.

I CAN burn CD's with XP without installing 3rd party software and it does not produce coasters.

But nooooo, the mighty Mac is soooooo much better. It can do everything that Windows XP can, but 10 times better. And really you are a better person if you own a mac?:pinch::

I run my Windows XP PC 24/7 and it doesn't crash on me. Most of my crashes occured when I installed beta versions of Microsoft software and others were because I messed up (e.g. pressing restart button when installing video card drivers).

nuka_t, I apoligize, I took your statement out of context as an insult (I read the first few sentences and stopped reading as I was offended).

roadwarrior the starter of this thread started telling lies, you also need to format Macs if you don't maintain it, just like windows, but I have seen many crazy people formating WindowsXP for no reson when creating new user account would give even the same resaults as fresh install.

What part of

Here's my "opinion"... If you don't like it, then don't comment, and please don't start a flame war
don't you comprhend?

Please people, respect the wishes of the person who started this thread and leave the flaming at the door.

sometimes people dont intentionally come into the mac forum, but when a member posts something, this thread is displayed on the front page (that is how i found out this thread was here). i was looking at the above mentioned part of the front page and said to myself when i saw the thread name, "Oh my god, here we go again." dispite what the thread starter said, he very well knew that this would cause trouble. i doesnt matter if what he said is an opinion or not, the thread name is just pure flame bait.

and i do agree, sometimes windows users do go around the mac forums ( i am one of them), but not all of them start trouble. this is also the same for the mac users that go into the windows forums to start trouble.

I havent read any of the posts, but just from the title, i can already tell that "something has gone wrong". this thread should be deleted or at the very least closed.

WINDOWS XP and MAC OS X cannot be accurately compared and as such should not be put up against each other.

fact: they are operating systems that run on different platforms (emulation omitted).

anybody can start a thread that is full of flame bait, but just because they say "dont want a flame war" doesnt mean that it is gonna happen. what if i were to make a thread called "Why I'd use a Windows PC over a Mac any day" and said that i didnt want a flame war? would one start? of course it would, and everyone knows it. just because i said that i didnt want a flame war, doesnt make the start post ok, nor is is supposed to "protect me from flames".

STV

sometimes people dont intentionally come into the mac forum, but when a member posts something, this thread is displayed on the front page (that is how i found out this thread was here). i was looking at the above mentioned part of the front page and said to myself when i saw the thread name, "Oh my god, here we go again." dispite what the thread starter said, he very well knew that this would cause trouble. i doesnt matter if what he said is an opinion or not, the thread name is just pure flame bait.

I found out that this was the Mac forum after I started posting.