If no more Apple, what about OS X

What do you guys think, if, for example, Apple is no more - do you think they'll release OS X for Intel and make it open source? Or OS X would die with Apple?

I'm a hardcore PC user and am looking for a laptop - sort of hesitating getting a Mac for only one reason - you never know what's going to happen to them in 2-3 years, especially when Longhorn is out.

Apple will never die. Or, not in a while. They are doing too well with the iPod's and PowerBooks.

I am also a PC user, and I browse the Apple forums everytime I come to Neowin because, quite frankly, I'd rather have an Apple over an x86 anyday of the week. Just, you know...I need the money first :D.

I don't know if they would release OSX on x86...I'm leaning towards 'No' though.

if this thread survives, I'm gonna create another thread called "If no more Microsoft, what about Windows"

If you want a mac then go get a mac. Stop sitting there dreaming that Apple'd die and release OS X to x86 or for intel. That's just not possible. Even though OS X was ported to x86 one day, there isn't any applications for OSX x86 vers at all - it always takes time to develop/port app.

This kinda threads always go nowhere :pinch:

Some people are just pathetic. Ask yourself: "If no more Microsoft, what about Windows!" Then you will know the answer!

Oh, and in terms of Longhorn, Microsoft haven't had any major update since 2001. Just think what Mac OS X will be by the year Longhorn releases, which will be 2006? 2007? 2008?

Longhorn woudn't be as solid as Mac OS X by the time it releases. It however will probably be after some updates. But just not right away. Release of Longhorn != death of all other operating systems and/or companies!

Edited by session

Well for apple to be dead then OSX must be dead too. If they continued doing OSs then they would then be a OS company. So yes I think OSX will continue because companies develop, not die.

Apple have no debts, a sizable amount of cash in the bank, and are turning a steady profit every quarter.

Unlike say, AMD....

So, I don't see Apple going anywhere.

i don't see apple dying for at least 5-10 years. not unless they make products like a cube for every single product they create. they recently entered a new market of digital music so think about it :p

They are being sued by an English Record label called Apple, they let Apple Computers use the name way back when........ and said they could use it for computer related sales only but now they is making iPods and online music stores.. and the original Apple company is getting annoyed could end up having Apple iTunes Music Store shut down. But I hope not.

it's amazing how the human brain works. :rolleyes:

just buy the laptop, if Apple dies within 3 years, i'll pay you exactly what you're gonna pay for your laptop. alright?

apple has been around since the 70s

you really think they're going anywhere at this point in the game, considering everything they're rolling out?

Well I'm not going to rule out Apple dying a horrible death because they have [imo] invested too much into the music business and if MS gets involved in that then it can all just fall over like a house of cards. The iPod won't last forever, it's a nice money maker and they need to get marketshare back (they have never since the early 80s had market share this low, and it's dropping) and try and counter Linux before it becomes a viable option. While I'm sure the 'creative' types won't like Linux at all, they will probably switch over slowly as more and more apps are ported over (Linux is used almost exclusively as a desktop 3D workstation at the big 3D studios now). Also, Apple has drove Adobe away, something they have never done before.

But of course this is all specualation and Apple should keep on going for as long as Windows does. I'm sure that one OSX release soon will really incorperate Linux and make it a very Linux-friendly OS indeed. This will be a good idea and that just leaves MS and Windows as the only OS which doesn't cater for Linux...

aido, what on earth are you talking about with MS getting involved with apple's music business?

and what do you mean incorporate linux? the OS is running on FreeBSD, how much more incorporated can you get?

@Aldo: Market share is a very deceptive number, and should never be used to measure the health of a company. It's actually possible for a company to be INCREASING sales steadily but still have a decreasing market share! How? Think of this: If the number of overall sales in a particular market is increasing at a faster rate than sales for an individual company, then that company will appear to have a shrinking market share. The same thing will happen if more companies enter a market than were there previously. For instance, if in a certain market there are 4 companies, each about the same number of sales. Each company therefore has about 25% market share. If a 5th company enters the market at a time when sales of the product are increasing and takes up an equal number of sales, then each company only has 20% market share now, even if the total sales for each company goes up! The last decade has seen huge growth in the market for personal computers, many of which are used for nothing more than dumb terminals in businesses (not exactly the market that Apple is selling to).

Apple is not going anywhere. Every day I see more people wanting to switch over to Apple. I've even cost my work money, because people come in looking to buy a PC laptop, see me with my Powerbook, I show them what a Mac can do, and end up going to an Apple retailer and buying a Mac.

Apple is not going anywhere. Every day I see more people wanting to switch over to Apple. I've even cost my work money, because people come in looking to buy a PC laptop, see me with my Powerbook, I show them what a Mac can do, and end up going to an Apple retailer and buying a Mac.

yah, and they introduce new things frequently. more importantly, when they update software, they actually add new AND useful features, not just security update or hole patch!

Apple? Die? in the same sentence? Yeah right.

Apple isn't going anywhere any time soon. I have seen more people drool over OS X & my PowerBook than you can shake a stick at. Most of my friends would love to have one, and my cousin is going tomorrow to the local Mac retailer to get a PowerBook (she's going to university soon). The thing with Apple is, they make the hardware and the operating system too. This way, they can provide a reliable system which is easy to use. You don't need to worry about drivers... everything just works.

IMHO, Apple is going to be around for a long time.

Very true. Every time I have to go to my dad's office for one reason or another everyone gathers around me to see my PowerBook. It's rather amusing actually. I got my dad to order an Xserve G5 (Which should arrive tomorrow btw, might post some pics). I even convinced a hardcore Windows programmer that Apple makes the best computers. He'll be switching to Mac soon.

And, seriously, just check the forums. There have been quite a few threads of people switching this month.

I have seen more people drool over OS X & my PowerBook than you can shake a stick at.

I've had the same thing happen. Ironic, isn't it, that people are so impressed by OS X running on a 4 year old 400Mhz G3 notebook. I doubt people would be equally impressed by XP running on a 400Mhz Pentium III notebook.