If no more Apple, what about OS X

They aren't going anywhere. I'd love to have a PowerBook because everything just works and I'm tired of fighting with XP, my PC and all the software trying to get along. It just wares me out. I just want a computer to work and not have to mess with everything to get it TO work (the reason I can never get into Linux).

My cousin recently got a PowerBook and he loves it. I asked him why and all he said was, " ... Everything just works. You don't need to install any drivers or anything like that. When I want to uninstall a program, I just drag it to the trash can." That's pretty much convinced me.

They aren't going anywhere. I'd love to have a PowerBook because everything just works and I'm tired of fighting with XP, my PC and all the software trying to get along. It just wares me out. I just want a computer to work and not have to mess with everything to get it TO work (the reason I can never get into Linux).

My cousin recently got a PowerBook and he loves it. I asked him why and all he said was, " ... Everything just works. You don't need to install any drivers or anything like that. When I want to uninstall a program, I just drag it to the trash can." That's pretty much convinced me.

Exactly. I deal with problems on other people's computers all the time, why should I with my own?

I get paid to fix other people's computers, but I don't pay myself when I fix mine. :laugh:

Time is valuable, and I'd rather spend it doing something other than fixing my own computer.

If Apple goes under, knowing Steve Jobs, to get one last huge jab @ Microsoft will make OS X open source. It wouldnt be a bad thing either.

Cleaned out the ears of this thread a bit... - timdorr fro moderating industries :fro:

area91, you'd teetering on the brink of a ban, so I suggest not pushing it any more.

Cleaned out the ears of this thread a bit... - timdorr fro moderating industries :fro:

area91, you'd teetering on the brink of a ban, so I suggest not pushing it any more.

Thanks, and noted.

I've had the same thing happen. Ironic, isn't it, that people are so impressed by OS X running on a 4 year old 400Mhz G3 notebook. I doubt people would be equally impressed by XP running on a 400Mhz Pentium III notebook.

Yeah, it is kind of ironic.. I don't see anyone drooling over Windows XP running on that ThinkPad of mine (even though its as thick as a brick and its a PII.. )

With the ThinkPad, I have to fight with it to get it to do exactly what it is I want to do. With the PowerBook I just do my work. No fighting. :D I love it.

Yeah, it is kind of ironic.. I don't see anyone drooling over Windows XP running on that ThinkPad of mine (even though its as thick as a brick and its a PII.. )

With the ThinkPad, I have to fight with it to get it to do exactly what it is I want to do. With the PowerBook I just do my work. No fighting. :D I love it.

Awww... You had to put that good ol' sledgehammer back in storage? :laugh:

@Timdorr: Thanks.

Just curious, but how the HELL did you manage to get XP running on that? 96MB of RAM and a 200Mhz processor? I've used XP on a 233Mhz PII before, but with 256MB of RAM and it was barely usable.

edit: and a 4GB hard drive??? XP will take up almost half of that by itself!

no offence, but your thinkpad sucks. 400mhz is pretty good for a mac. however, my p3 desktop with similair specs to your G3 with a 1ghz p3 is plenty fast for xp for basic stuff. i even got photoshp to work well on it.

anyway, what does this have to do with osx becoming opensource?

anyway, what does this have to do with osx becoming opensource?

It doesn't have much at all to do with it. He and I kind of drifted off topic for a bit when he mentioned that people drooled over his PowerBook (which is the same model as mine).

i was htinking of trading in my old 1ghz p3 fro a b&w G3 to a guy who was willing to on ebay, bu i decided against it. maybe its cause ive never really used it before, but i just dont get this whole "it just works" thing.

i was htinking of trading in my old 1ghz p3 fro a b&w G3 to a guy who was willing to on ebay, bu i decided against it. maybe its cause ive never really used it before, but i just dont get this whole "it just works" thing.

Depending on the specs on the G3, that would be a pretty even trade (assuming similar amounts of hard drive space and RAM).

I've been looking for a PowerBook trade. Maybe It'll happen someday. Then again, who would want my crappy eMachines PIII 1GHz computer?

Some little old lady who just wants to check email and look up information on gardening?

no offence, but your thinkpad sucks.

No offense taken. I KNOW the thinkpad sucks. 2000 kept blue screening on it so I decided it was worth it to give XP a shot.. I had to disable ALOT of services and do alot of tweaking to get it even remotely usable. As for the 4GB of hard drive space, not much is stored on that machine. it still has 1.6GB left on the drive...

As mentioned before, that would make a pretty even trade, depending on the hard drive size and the amount of RAM that are in both computers.

As for the whole "it just works" thing, well, its quite explanatory. You plug in a piece of hardware and 99% of the time, its going to work, without you having to do anything.

Edited by iCeFuSiOn

If no more world, what about the human race? I thought of getting to collage, but what if the world suddenly decides to explode in one year, it would be a waste of money and time if everyone dies. I would consider going to collage if I could finish it on a off-world colony or something. Any thoughts of what I should do?

I really hate these threads they're so f*ck*ng pointless. Nobody knows what's exactly going to happen with companies in a few years time. And Longhorn is just a new Windows version, nothing more nothing less. Do you really think that Mac OS will be the same when Longhorn is out? So Longhorn would be so much superior than Mac OS, of-course not!

If you are going to consider these possibilities when buying stuff you shouldn't be buying at all. Every company can go bank rubbed, every new item can become a complete failure. Maybe a 3rd World War will break out in a few years. The point is: We don't know! So there's no answer to your question(s)

lol, if Apple dies there OS dies with them simple as. Anyway they are going to be around for a long time. And well people on Windows going to be on Windows XP for like another 3 (already been 3!! and now another 3!) years till longhorn comes out so maybe you wanna look at if Microsoft is going to be around soon.......

(Maybe when longhorn comes out Apple will have 20 - 30% market share :D who knows! :woot: )

lol, if Apple dies there OS dies with them simple as. Anyway they are going to be around for a long time. And well people on Windows going to be on Windows XP for like another 3 (already been 3!! and now another 3!) years till longhorn comes out so maybe you wanna look at if Microsoft is going to be around soon.......

(Maybe when longhorn comes out Apple will have 20 - 30% market share :D who knows! :woot: )

that is very wishful think on your part. it seems that you want apple to succeed so much that would would say anything.

lets take a look.

apple has like what, 1-2% market share right now.

microsoft has 95%+ market share

longhorn will come out in 2-3 years.

apple's market share would have to go up about 18% in the next 2-3 years.

do you really think that is possible? just because some people are getting a mac, it doesnt mean that every single person will do so too. if anything, microsoft's market share will get bigger (not by much, but it will increase).

with microsoft's value in stock, microsoft's $53 billion+ in the bank, and bill gates' $46 billion+ i dont think that microsoft will go anywhere anytime soon. their revenues increase every year and that is why microsoft will be around for a long time.

on topic: i am not really sure about what apple will do while they are on their death bed. they may sell the OS to someone, give it away, or they may even be bought by a bigger company.

STV

As for the whole "it just works" thing, well, its quite explanatory. You plug in a piece of hardware and 99% of the time, its going to work, without you having to do anything.

im not sure why he asked that qoestion and doesnt understand the concept. i dont have to download any driver for my XP TPC machine, "it just works". i dont understand why he thinks it doesnt.

STV