If no more Apple, what about OS X

im not sure why he asked that qoestion and doesnt understand the concept. i dont have to download any driver for my XP TPC machine, "it just works". i dont understand why he thinks it doesnt.

STV

Because some (not all) Mac users think that XP is the same as Windows ME...that it bluescreens every 5 minutes, that the registry gets corrupted daily and that all Wintel PCs are beige boxes that look the same. People believe and focus on what they want to believe in order to reinforce their mental image of something they like or dislike. This is usually more true for people that have newly discovered something they like. Like, for instance, a new Switcher that will defend to the death anything and everything with an Apple stamped on it, even putting aside logic, reason and intelligent conversation. Where as someone that has used an Apple for many years can sit down and have an intelligent discourse about the positives and negatives about their platform of choice, a new Switcher usually cannot, and won't even entertain the concept that Apple could in any way be imperfect. Same goes for some of the Winderz fanboys. It's all relative, really.

@ STV

Well I was being really unrealistic with 20 - 30% but Microsoft is a Software company and if they got no software to sell for 3 years they aint gonna be making no money so I don't see how you think there company will make money... Apple have 8% market share not 3%

@ STV

Well I was being really unrealistic with 20 - 30% but Microsoft is a Software company and if they got no software to sell for 3 years they aint gonna be making no money so I don't see how you think there company will make money... Apple have 8% market share not 3%

where did you get your figures. last i heard, apple was losing market share to windows.

i dont think that apple has 8%market share, it just doesnt look like a realistic number for a company that is so small.

STV

that is very wishful think on your part. it seems that you want apple to succeed so much that would would say anything.

lets take a look.

apple has like what, 1-2% market share right now.

microsoft has 95%+ market share

longhorn will come out in 2-3 years.

apple's market share would have to go up about 18% in the next 2-3 years.

do you really think that is possible? just because some people are getting a mac, it doesnt mean that every single person will do so too. if anything, microsoft's market share will get bigger (not by much, but it will increase).

with microsoft's value in stock, microsoft's $53 billion+ in the bank, and bill gates' $46 billion+ i dont think that microsoft will go anywhere anytime soon. their revenues increase every year and that is why microsoft will be around for a long time.

on topic: i am not really sure about what apple will do while they are on their death bed. they may sell the OS to someone, give it away, or they may even be bought by a bigger company.

STV

apple's marketshare is a lot higher than "1-2%". the numbers most people run to when looking for marketshare information is "how much of ____ did you sell last year?". so consider this: if i buy a mac today, and it lasts me 5 years, then apple won't be selling as many computers for the next 4 years. but if i buy a dell, and it's technologically "out of the loop" next year, i'd go back to buy a new one, right?

macs last much longer than pc's, therefore, apple sells less of them. the current "real world" guess is somewhere between 6-8%.

don't ask me to find that article for you, please... i really have no idea where it is anymore, i just remember reading it.

Apple has a 1-2% market share on annual sales. You can't deny that. But what Apple does have going for them, are the 20 million people who use a Macintosh computer. Sales, and installed user base are quite a bit different.