Uxtheme installation under Windows XP/2003

All the uxtheme.dll mirrors for build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm seem to have disappeared.

585525477[/snapback]

my website went down for good. working on a new site atm. i need to get all files from rafael/vortex again.

http://www.vortex-scratchpad.info/reposito...atches/Uxtheme/

still works for me.

Also, what is a shellstyle (I know nothing, me) is it the icons on the toolbar of a folder ? Thanks again.

585525550[/snapback]

the shellstyle is the "background" of the panel left hand side in yoru explorerwindow.

post-10955-1109233658.jpg

This has probably already been answered, but I can go to any theme site and download a new VS after replacing my uxtheme.dll right?  (I assume VS and theme are interchangeable).  Does it matter if the VS is a .msstyle or .theme file?

585515978[/snapback]

yes you can use ANY visual style you want after patching your uxtheme.dll

and no, it doesn't really matter if it's a .theme or .msstyles.

Thanks InsaneKiwi. But where do you put the new shellstyle.dll's you get with many visual styles? Some of the VS's seem to alter these taskbar buttons judging by the previews (eg Luxurious) but they don't change on my system. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

c:\windows\resources\themes\THEMENAME\shell\ = where the shellstyle should be

c:\windows\resources\themes\THEMENAME = where your msstyle belongs

if you want to change your taskbar buttons you need to replace your shell32.dll. that's something different mate ;)

Oh, I had noobed it. There is no 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm

I had a modified Uxtheme.dll before I updated to SP2, and it seems to have done weird things with the version number of windows. The 2900.2180 build was the correct one for me :pinch:

c:\windows\resources\themes\THEMENAME\shell\  = where the shellstyle should be

c:\windows\resources\themes\THEMENAME = where your msstyle belongs

if you want to change your taskbar buttons you need to replace your shell32.dll. that's something different mate ;)

585525825[/snapback]

Yeah thanks for that.. How come many VS's come with screenshots of these buttons changed (eg Roysal Inspirat SE, Luxurious) yet there's nothing in here on how to actually change them? How am I supposed to find out? Ok I need to replace the shell32.dll but with what? I'm not finding one included with the VS's & How do I know they're compatiable with SP1?

you need to find a shell32.dll matching your currentwindows built/version. i only replaced my shell32.dll once but all i can suggest is seach upon neowin forum and google. you'll find lots of results.

I'm still not understanding i'm afraid..

Do you mean I need a single hacked version of the shell32.dll for my version of XP and then all visual styles that contain a modfied toolbar will work

or..

I need to obtain the correct shell32.dll for each and every visual style that has a modified toolbar (Presumably made by the author of the VS?)

Thanks.

I'm still not understanding i'm afraid..

Do you mean I need a single hacked version of the shell32.dll for my version of XP and then all visual styles that contain a modfied toolbar will work

or..

I need to obtain the correct shell32.dll for each and every visual style that has a modified toolbar (Presumably made by the author of the VS?)

Thanks.

585538296[/snapback]

you need to find a shell32.dll matching your currentwindows built/version. i only replaced my shell32.dll once but all i can suggest is seach upon neowin forum and google. you'll find lots of results.

:whistle:

Yes but if he 'only replaced the shell32.dll once' it sort of implies he could change it again. Maybe if he changed to another VS? Didn't that remark seem a little ambiguous to anyone but myself? Or is it me?

Fair enough, i'll get my coat.

:D

Yes but if he 'only replaced the shell32.dll once' it sort of implies he could change it again. Maybe if he changed to another VS? Didn't that remark seem a little ambiguous to anyone but myself? Or is it me?

Fair enough, i'll get my coat.

:D

585539175[/snapback]

Nah, you can stay :)

I'm not an expert in that bit of the guide just read what I could from insanekiwi's reply. Insanekiwi...your assistance is needed :p

regarding the shell32.dll replacement..look around in the customization subforum. you#ll find topics about shell32.dll

you need one matching your OS's language and version/built.

hey, if you still neeed someone to mirror this id be glad to.

585573028[/snapback]

Mirror what sorry? We already have two mirrors of the uxtheme's.

Just wanted to let you know, insanekiwi - the instructions you wrote up worked like a charm. Now to go looking for some visual styles.

Thanks much!

Mirror what sorry? We already have two mirrors of the uxtheme's.

585573133[/snapback]

none of the links of the guide were working last night so i offered to mirror it.

well me new site is up again. does anyone have all the files or knows where i can re-download them all?