What should I do with my Windows 95 Computer?

It has happened so many times that I dare not do anything to the computer which involves putting anything after 1997 inside. Maybe I will first contact my computer company for help, then consult my relative (who is an expert on computers) for more advice. If it is OK, I will give the hard drive moving method a shot.

Go get a remington and shoot it :D

Why not install a network card into it?, or why not just move the harddrive? (f*ck the warranty, your not thrown it down from a building ;)) or a cd-rom burner?

It can't be that complicated ;)

Go get a remington and shoot it :D

Why not install a network card into it?, or why not just move the harddrive? (f*ck the warranty, your not thrown it down from a building ;)) or a cd-rom burner?

It can't be that complicated ;)

There's no room for any PCI cards in my old computer, OK?

• 3 weeks later...

I think i have your answer,as i too had the same problem.

I phoned radio shack and they suggested the Valteck 8075.

Worked great first time out,and as a bonus i got 2 years as AOL dialup free!

post-10-1090999615.jpg

Do what glitch409 said buy a cheap cd writer, a brand new 52x only runs for 20 bux or so on pricewatch, put it your old pc and burn away..im sure you can afford that

It shouldn't hurt your Win95. I have a BenQ 56x CD-ROM ruinning Win95 it and runs fine

There's no room for any PCI cards in my old computer, OK?

Why whats in there now? A soundcard, a modem? remove them. You don't need them.

First choice to me is remove the hard disk.

Second choice is install an NIC in the 95 machine, use a crossed LAN cable and away you go.

Who is the manufacturer of the XP machine?

What I'd suggest for a NIC Card is one based on a RTL-8139 or RTL-8129 as those have been available for quite a while now and still are. I bought my Gigafast EE100-AXP a month or 2 ago and it works :)

OTOH Any Hardware you buy first hand should come with a driver disk. So I think drivers shouldn't be much of a problem.

How did you figure put that it won't work when hardware manufactured past 97 is installed? Because as I said, I have a BenQ 56x drive working under 95. Had to use DOS Drivers from the site, but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, yes, nothing after 97, we know

adding a hard drive will not void your warranty, otherwise you would have a sealed box, not an openable case

add a network card to the machine. like the other guy said, just ake the modem or something out, it's not like you're going to use it again.

get a null modem cable if both machines have parallel ports, and transfer that way

simplest & fastest method is to connect the old harddrive to your new computer.

the other option is get a serial cable(null modem) and make a dcc conection to your new comp.

no point adding more hardware to the old machine, the hardware/software might not support it anymore.

take out the hard drive, hook it up to your new PC, copy all the files. then throw it out

edit: it wont damage anything as long as you dont touch the crcuit board

Yep thats the thing to do it will work a treat

dude, jsut put hte hdd in the other pc. then use a virus scanner to scan for viruses then move em over. i would a expect an updated virus scanner to be able to scan viruses from 1997. you are just making this way to complicated. now, after doing this, install linux on the hdd through the new pc and you have yourself a working computer.

How many people would actually find use in a linux server?

Anyone with more than one computer would find use in a dedicated printer server or network related duties. I'm using an old p133 as a printer server / broadband router for my 4 computer home network.

• 2 weeks later...