Watch Firefox's popup blocker be defeated!

it wasnt a bad attempt at making a "stab at firefox". he didnt really "miss" either. this shows that even the almighty firefox isnt as secure as you would like to believe. so what if i didnt get the popup in IE, that just proves that I know how to use IE. FYI, the MSN toolbar didnt even have a popup to catch because of my settings. I have said it hundreds of times and here it is: IE, like anything else, can be as secure as firefox.

STV

Not really, we'll file a bug report, the bug will get corrected, the popup will get blocked.

Seems the bug as been marked as WONTFIX because it will break legitimate features of the browser.

Seems the bug as been marked as WONTFIX because it will break legitimate features of the browser.

A quick fix will break legitmate features. However I think with time "block scripted addition to the events of an anchor tag" should be looked into.

Only the actual developer should be able to code events onto links. I'm trying to think if I've ever done similar for a legitmate use, and the worst I've done is to make additions to the HREF (adding query strings).

Don't know if anyone said this already but if you have SP2 and are using IE (Avant or MyIE2 included) it blocks like 3 as soon as you go to the site. Hope this helps with any confusion people are having.

From what I gather, the way the browser is coded at this point it would break all popups (even the legit kind) for them to fix it.

using firefox 0.92 here

no popups found :)

whats your point?

I found his point stated very clearly incase you missed it in the first post:

Step 3: Watch Firefox happily serve you a popup!

it wasnt a bad attempt at making a "stab at firefox". he didnt really "miss" either. this shows that even the almighty firefox isnt as secure as you would like to believe. so what if i didnt get the popup in IE, that just proves that I know how to use IE. FYI, the MSN toolbar didnt even have a popup to catch because of my settings. I have said it hundreds of times and here it is: IE, like anything else, can be as secure as firefox.

STV

Ditto my HOSTS file blocks it out. Its about 5.5 MB so I haven't updated it in months. Ah well.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2

with

Agnitum Outpost 2.1 Pro :shifty:

and NO POPUP.... :yes:

I just tested it with Mozilla App Suite 1.7.1 and I got no popup.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.1) Gecko/20040707