[Definitive] Doom 3 Experience

Whoa that's f**ked up!

Possible CD error... doubt it's your hardware, but who knows.

If you're really up for it... try partitioning your HD, installing fresh install of XP on the partition then install it - if that don't work nothing will!

I dont know why people are complaining about graphics beign too dark, remember system shock 2? it uses the same graphic philosophy and its a classic, I think people its just mad because they just want to constantly seeing the graphics instead of the atmosphere

Yeah, people seem to be ignoring the fact that it was meant to be dark. It's meant to be spooky and atmospheric, not bright and cheery. Hell was unleashed! Doesn't that seem dark to you?

Seeing something slinking in shadow would probably make more of an impression than a hulking beast staring at you in broad daylight. There's a reason it's dark.

You apparently don't understand.

Id put many years into this game, and a lot of hard work. You want this game, but you don't want to pay the money for it, so you just steal it without putting any money or work into actually getting the game Id worked so hard to give to you. All they ask is 50 dollars for a game they spent 4 years working on, but instead of you just spending a day's worth of money (assuming you have a low paying summer job), you steal the game.

Now where in your ****ing stupid mind did you see that as "not being bad"? Hell, you probably don't even work, so I see why you can't understand this concept. Either pay the money for it or wait until you can afford it, unless you enjoy being labeled as a worthless piece of **** warez'er.

Damn, 71 posts in 2 days. And all you've said in each of those posts is how people who download the game are inferior to you and that everyone should do what YOU want them to do. It's fine to voice an opinion about a subject, but good God, how many times do we need to see the same exact crap? People downloaded the game, get over it. And dropping F-bombs and insulting people isn't going to eleviate the situation.

Damn, 71 posts in 2 days. And all you've said in each of those posts is how people who download the game are inferior to you and that everyone should do what YOU want them to do. It's fine to voice an opinion about a subject, but good God, how many times do we need to see the same exact crap? People downloaded the game, get over it. And dropping F-bombs and insulting people isn't going to eleviate the situation.

It's not an opinion you dip****, it's morality and doing what's right, not to mention what's legal or illegal.

Get it through your skull that people who pirate a game are just stealing from the company who made it by not even paying for the game, they didn't do **** to deserve it. It's really very simple, and most people understand what exactly is wrong with it, maybe some of you guys are stupid or something.

One thing I have 'experienced' is the crap weapon sound effects. No bass at all!

That's my biggest complaint as well. I was hoping for some ground-shaking sound effects with the weapons, but so far none. Other than that, the game is great. The darkness is not a problem because, frankly, I don't want an entire room or area in plain sight. I want to go into a dark corner to explore and have some creature jump at me or trap me, which has happened a few times already. Ammo and health are really sparse, and this is fine as it adds to the difficulty and gives you an urge factor to go find it. DoomIII is everything I HOPED it would be and the mods should really spice the game up.

It's not an opinion you dip****, it's morality and doing what's right, not to mention what's legal or illegal.

Get it through your skull that people who pirate a game are just stealing from the company who made it by not even paying for the game, they didn't do **** to deserve it. It's really very simple, and most people understand what exactly is wrong with it, maybe some of you guys are stupid or something.

It IS an opinion. What morals you may have, someone else may view differently. You can't go around telling people what they're doing is wrong and expect them to conform just because YOU said so. I totally agree with you about the legalities of it, but you are not going to stop certain people from doing what they want to do. Worry about yourself and your morals - if you don't download ANY games, ANY music, etc. then good for you. YOU are doing the "right" thing and that's all you should be worrying about.

And by calling me a dip**** only adds to the validity of my previous comments.

I have a friend, who until 6 years ago, was CEO and Chief Designer of a software company. He swore to keep Microsoft out of the picture until his dying day. That was, of course, until social outcasts decided to hack the copyrighted material. The software co. soon declared bankruptcy, and was quickly bought out by the MS giant. Once a bright student of Technology, he's now sitting at home nursing a bad knee, and adding pieces of paper to his already huge debt problem.

As previously mentioned, it's immoral to download illegal software. Don't think that because the kid next door owns a huge collection of expensive code, that it's alright to do the same. It's not justified. Everybody has a right to denounce p2p distributors. It's legal. What you seem to be suggesting, on the other hand, isn't. Even if you're against illegal downloads, don't perpetuate the notion that it's okay unless it directly affects you.

Get a life, go outside, and get a job. Get out from behind your puter table, and actually contribute to society.

It runs on my computer quite well

1337 mhz athlon thunderbird

384 mb pc2100 ddr

geforce4ti4200 128mb

1024x728

low detail

extra shadows on

specular thingy on

and i get 30ish fps solid. i love it.

,Aug 2 2004, 17:18] 9.4 seems a good score for me

lol maybe he wanted a 10 :p

yay i get to pick up my copy of doom3 in about an hour or so. sweeeeet

nobody likes my headless zombie screenshot? :(

It rules man :D

PS. My post a few above this one was ignored too :p

Well, I for one, didn't enjoy the game. Too pointless and "unnecessarily" dark. I think the flashlight could have been removed out of the game with a little ambient light. But let me explain that a little.

Sure darkness is a good thing, and I don't mind it being pitchblack. But when your walking in a wide open space with an area that has a little shade, it shouldn't be completely black, just darker. I'll get a screen shot to back my argument. I think with a little more thoughtfullness in how to emulate reflective lighting, by maybe doing somethign like ambient light based on the overall lighting factor of a room could have dramatically improved the lighting realism.

Basically the flashlight could have been left out leaving you in the dark when it's supposed to be dark. Instead you have to be using the damn thing half the time just to navigate around the maps. Very annoying. That's my point is all.

And I hate to bad mouth anyone, but Vando, your a troll. Sorry but anyone who spams a board with negative comments, is a troll. Although I do respect your opinion, you need to know (mainly on the subject of piracy) when enough is enough. It exists, get over it. Sure I feel sorry that Jonn Carmack is gonna have to wait another month to purchase his gold plated shark aquarium, that's his problem, not yours, now stop preaching.

I think you are the one who's stupid. If you actually think that downloading is immoral or whatever and that pirating is stealing, then you are welcome to believe it. But you have no right to come here and impose your stupid views on other members of neowin. The fact is some people can't afford 55$ for a game. Another fact: the company will profit no matter what and money lost from few downloaded copies is nothing compared to those profits.

I have seen a lot of your posts and you have never contributed anything useful to this community. GET A LIFE AND stop trying to make people feel like they are below you just because you are against illegal downloads. Neowin would be a better place without people like you. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Get a life, go outside, and get a job. Get out from behind your puter table, and actually contribute to society.

I would say working 12-hour night shifts in a children's hospital is contributing to society, but yeah, you know ALL about me. :rolleyes:

The whole point to my comment was that people should worry about what they, themselves, do. It does nobody any good by throwing insults back and forth. It accomplishes nothing, while at the same time totally detracts from what the initial topic is. If you want to go vent and rant and rave, go to the Soapbox, I'll join you. But, every single thread about DoomIII does not need to be filled with insults and belittling of people.

And I'm sorry for your friend, really. I know someone who wrote a breath waveform program for a ventilator company a few years back, was not compensated for it, and it was used in the final product of a COMPETING vendor. So, like your friend, this person was robbed of all the hard work he put into it, not to mention the reward of royalties and compensation. Oh yeah...it was my dad who this happened to.