Which distro for me?

Thanks for the help from everyone. Really cleared my mind up about a few things. I'm on the Suse site and I see that Yast makes life a lot easier. One last thing. Lets say im installing fedora, mandrake, suse, etc. You say it does dual-booting setup for me, but does that mean I still need to set up a Swap partition or no? And if I do, do I need to do anything after making the partition or does linux detect it on its own.

What i meant was it deals with the MBR and adding Windows to the boot menu in Grub. Yes you still have to create the swap partition. Since you wont be touching your windows partition, i suggest creating the swap and linux partitions in the Suse installer. It will automatically set them up once you create them

Alright so I guess theres no way of actually leaving my partitions the way they are and just installing on it, I have to make it all one partition and then let Suse do the rest? Damn... Alright, thats what I'll do then. Thanks for the help.

No, you dont need to make it one partition first. Leave it exactly as it is and start installing Suse. When you get the partitioning setup screen do it in this order:

- select the 7gig partiton and delete it.

- select the newly created blank space and add a 512Mb swap partition

- select the rest of the blank space and create a linux partition

I can understand if we were confusing each other. Its always easier in person

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks :)

I'm actually typing this in Knoppix. I was testing Suse Eval Live CD and its awsome but the only down side is that it didnt detect my hardware. Is this how its going to be when I install it? Because Knoppix detects everything, even down to my mice and what brand and model it is. Would Suse be able to do all that? Knoppix basically detects everything, I didnt configure anything and my internet, mouse, and sound is all working.

Chances are you need some sort of drivers for the modem for it to be recognised? I'm not too experienced in Linux (I plan to change that)

i just wondering that how can my modem works for knopix but it dun work for madranke, lindows, suse and sun java desktop =/

Knoppix includes some 3rd-party drivers that others distros dont

I hear Suse is really good at auto configuring ur internet connection, especially broadband. Thats good.

Another question however, is that Ive been reading reviews on the net of SuSe 9.1 pro and personal, the only thing Ive realized is that they all talk about the prices, but none of them mention the free version on their site available for download. Whats the difference between buying personal edition and downloading it?

Well I'm back, and I have SuSe installed. :) The first time there was an error making the swap partition so i cancelled installation, then I did it again and it worked. So everything is set now but the only thing thats not working is the internet.

Can anyone please help me with setting up cable internet to work with SuSe? Its connected through a router, and I've tried many different configerations. :cry:

How exactly are you set up?

If your router acts as a DHCP server, then it should be very simple to set up SUSE.

Do you connect to your PC through ethernet? or USB?

Actually you know what the scary thing is, I'm running SuSe right now and its working. After some random command lines found by searching google, I managed to get nowhere... So I decided to delete all the configurations. After doing that, it said my ethernet card is not configured, so I just set it to how it was before, and not expecting it to work, it worked. :huh:

But no complaints here, its working! :happy: Thanks for the help, everyone. :woot:

Knoppix includes some 3rd-party drivers that others distros dont

u know where to dl those or is there anywway to install knoppix on the HD without damaging my windows xp

Edited by eilegz

u know where to dl those or is there anywway to install knoppix on the HD without damaging my windows xp

It varies a bit depending on the version of Knoppix but:

Boot the LiveCD.

Use the cheat code knoppix 2 if you don't want to bother loading KDE

From the command prompt enter: knoppix-installer

Follow the prompts.

(old versions of Knoppix used the command "knx-hdinstall" to launch the installer.

More information here:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

ohh THX no let me try it but does it dual boot with XP? cuz i still need windows =/ anyways any step by step installation guide would be wonderful i check many sites and google search and its kinda confusing i would use another distro (like linspire or mandrake) but im using knoppix because its compatible with my modem and the others dont =/

ohh THX no let me try it but does it dual boot with XP? cuz i still need windows =/ anyways any step by step installation guide would be wonderful i check many sites and google search and its kinda confusing i would use another distro (like linspire or mandrake) but im using knoppix because its compatible with my modem and the others dont =/

Knoppix defaults to Lilo. You can use that or Grub to dual boot with Windows. That's another thread... :)

Yeah I recommend Suse also...

being a Suse and Gentoo users .. I actually love both, but compiling gentoo would too much a pain, on a laptop, plus CPU usage is a pain..

Suse is pretty decent as a desktop. Easily enough to update, etc.. I use it on my centrino notebook actually..

yeah I backup the idea of SuSe

Yeah I just wanted a nice small, easy to use yet different form windows distro for my laptop, and SuSe fit the bill. (ignoring some minor mistakes)