Sony N.U.D.E EX MDR-EX71SL

It's in the review forum, but it's not really a review. I've just got back from work and they've arrived from Japan so I took a few photos and had a quick 30 second listen. I'll review them more thoroughy at a later date. First impression on sound quality is that the bass is more pronounced but at the same time some of the more badly encoded songs I've got on my iPod really show up, it highights the donfalls of the MP3 format if it's not at a high enough bitrate.

I bought them from Audiocubes.com who were excellent, no trouble at all and the package got here perfectly, marked as a gift as well so I paid no import duty.

Here's a few pics:

Sony1.jpg

With iPod:

Sony2.jpg

Sony3.jpg

Extension cord, the length from the headphones to the jack is very short, far shorter than usual because these are made for units with a remote. Will work perfectly with my iPod cause there's nothing worse than tonnes of cord hanging around. This is the extension cord should you choose to use it:

Sony4.jpg

Packaging, you can see the different sized earbuds as well; small, medium and large. I use medium and they are amazingly comfortable in my ear, and when I smile and laugh they don't hurt like my standard iPod ones do. It's a far, far superior shape:

Sony5.jpg

Sony6.jpg

Mini Sony pouch, identical to the one I carry my iPod in except smaller. I shall name him Mini-Pouch :devil:

Sony7.jpg

Extension cord, the length from the headphones to the jack is very short, far shorter than usual because these are made for units with a remote. Will work perfectly with my iPod cause there's nothing worse than tonnes of cord hanging around. This is the extension cord should you choose to use it:

That's the one thing i hate about these, its to short to use alone, and the extension really makes it to long. :cry:

How do you like the cord, how it goes behind your head like that. I got a pair of sony earpods, and they have that same type of cord. I'm mixed on whether I like it or not.

It's the Japanese name for Fontopia.

As for the behind the head cord, I love it. I got used to them a few years back with my old Sony MD recorder and have always loved that setup since.

It's the Japanese name for Fontopia.

As for the behind the head cord, I love it. I got used to them a few years back with my old Sony MD recorder and have always loved that setup since.

Are they comfortable in your ears?

they come with 3 small to large sized ear caps. i found the small sized ones just about fit my ears.. :/

BUT they have very poor bass compared to the seinhiezer 300 heaphones, very wired i know, i've had sony heapdhones all my life but was put off sony totally when these came out with soo poor bass.!! i've replaced them and still low bass on my iriver120 :(

i bought these headphones last year, and i really was very satisfied with the quality of sound.

i think the best feature of the Sony MDR-EX71SL is the noise isolation. if you wear them tightly and listen to your music at a reasonly high volume, you really can't hear anything around you.

there are two things i didn't like about these earbuds. 1) the wire is very flimsy. it gets coiled very easily and can get in your face if you wear the cord under your head. 2) they aren't made for too much wear and tear. after maybe 3 months of usage, the little silver piece where the two earbuds meet, broke. and just in the past two months, i went on a 8-week trip to china as part of a program to learn mandarin. and at the end of the trip, on the plane back to the US, my left earbud just blows out while i'm sleeping, during regular use with my Sony CD player. i have no idea what went wrong, but i was sort of tired of using these earbuds anyway.

i decided to upgrade yet again to Shure's E series - E3c

although the bass isn't spectacularly loud (w/ the E3c), i think they suffice. because whenever i tried to blast my loud rock music as loud as i could, the sound wouldn't distort, it just really got louder and louder.

[edit]

ahh yes, as cal2002 pointed out, the E3c is much more expensive coming in at MSRP of $179.00. it's really up to the consumer at how much they value quality of sound. for me, i love listening to music at high volumes. and there's definately a noticeable difference between Sony's MDR-EX71SL and Shure's E3c. with my jazz music, piano keys seem crisper, and with my rock music, instruments are easier to zero in on while layer after layer of tracks are piled on top of each other (you'll notice that Linkin Park likes to do that a lot) anyway, i'm still doing a lot of testing before i finally decide to keep the E3c's (taking advantage of Fry's 30 day money back guarantee).

[/edit]

post-104-1093458294.jpg

Edited by SOOPAH256

man i just got the black fontopias i couldnt find the whites anywhere that would ship to canada. now i feel dumb oh well. they are hot great sound too. isolate you from annoying people on the subway.

I bought them months back in the UK for 30 pounds.

One thing is, because of the seal in your ear, you hear alot of stuff in your head. Similar to a mic when it's tapped.