IPS Forums Restructured

In an effort to "refocus the company", Invision Power Services is moving to a more traditional commercial structure. The free trial of IPB will no longer be available but instead will take the form of a 15-day time-restricted hosted trial without access to board source.

The IPS Forums themselves have undergone a simplification, again with a new customers-only focus. Old topics-- including any mention that there was a free trial-- have been removed.

It remains to be seen whether IPB can compete without the free trial that was one of the biggest reasons for its large installed base.

Press Release

Great job, IPS >_<

Edited by SethandCheese

I don't understand why they decided to do it NOW? Why not before they started offering downloads of the various 2.0.0 versions? Because now there is nothing to stop people downloading it for free from P2P or warez sites since they can just say "I got it before they stopped offering the free trial"

And you know it's nothing to do with changing to focus on the customers, they're just in it for the money.

Saw this one coming. I'll just stick with 1.3 and call it a day. Worse comes to worse, I'll look towards the various free boards out there and see which one have database converters.

At this point is there much of a reason to go with IPB if you're wanting to buy a board system? I would imagine that having a trial so people could test it on THEIR OWN servers and really play around with it was a major reason for their increase in 'market share'.

I'm with you there.

Invision Power Services, you are now a money grabbing load of ****nuts in my opinion!

Okay, let's abandon the IPS board together(N)N)(N)N)(N)N)

Invision Power Services, you are now a money grabbing load of ****nuts in my opinion!

OK, so let me get this straight: Matt's worked on this board in various forms for the better part of 5 years. IPB has been given away for free to you. Now that, after all the work and effort put into the software, IPS is asking for payment and they are suddenly "money grabbing"? :rolleyes:s:

I'm glad they're dumping all of you 13 year old forum admins. Apparently none of you have a clue anyways.

Yes, but you have a much larger site than something like mine.

So buy it while it's cheap. $40 for a year of support, and afterwards your board will run just fine and they won't hunt you down (you just don't get support). You spend $50 on a video game you play through maybe a few times, so why shouldn't you spend $40 on your site for it's lifetime? Hell, even the normal price is worthwhile.

So buy it while it's cheap. $40 for a year of support, and afterwards your board will run just fine and they won't hunt you down (you just don't get support). You spend $50 on a video game you play through maybe a few times, so why shouldn't you spend $40 on your site for it's lifetime? Hell, even the normal price is worthwhile.

Problem with that, though, is if I buy it now, I can't even use it since the mod I use hasn't been updated. This is just a poor move, IMO. They are going to alienate the very same userbase that made them huge in the first place.

OK, so let me get this straight: Matt's worked on this board in various forms for the better part of 5 years. IPB has been given away for free to you. Now that, after all the work and effort put into the software, IPS is asking for payment and they are suddenly "money grabbing"?  :rolleyes:

I'm glad they're dumping all of you 13 year old forum admins. Apparently none of you have a clue anyways.

No it's the fact they have let us have it free for so long, and they allready get money from their various other charge services, and a hell of a lot of it to my knowledge as well.

I'm not saying they don't deserve anything, but the way they have given probably 80% of their user base the shunt is crappy.

Oh and as for the 13 year old admin bit, I'm not 13, I might only be 15 but I'm a hell of a lot more mature than most people out there, and the fact you had to use age as an arguement is rather sad, as it could have been a 40 year old admin saying that.

Oh and on another note, if I can get the money to, I'll be buying a license for AdvancedPC.