IPS Forums Restructured

It's irrelevant what I said in 2002
I think the last statement was end 2003.

Anyway, no matter what IPS does and how they want to run their business is of no concern to us. I'm more than willing to pay for invisionboard because I feel it's more than worth it. I don't mind paying $70 a year for something that is a big part of Neowin.

I do understand a company has to move on and if they feel this is the next logical step to take then who am I to judge. I wonder if this will generate extra revenue though.

I love how he disses vB's Jelsoft, yet you don't see Jelsoft saying ANYTHING about IPS or IPB. They do their thing, make their money, why do they have to change??? When a company has a strategy that works, WHY change?

lol if I would run a large community like this and I would have a large budget I would like to have express support aswell, because every minutes counts. I mean you can't just try to fix it all your own then.

Thing is alot teenagers don't have 70 bucks for a license, and therefore a mass switch to phpBB will occur.

Neobond: Is PMing disabled for Neowin staff btw? (Offtopic)

Mass switch to phpBB? I don't think so, there are plenty of other high quality bb's out there besides phpBB nowadays.

Plus all the little warez monkeys will find a way around it. :|

Nope

Hm I guess I am considered as annoying then ;)

If you are curious check yo box, its regarding a major

expansion of the neowin network. (IRC network)

Anyways back ontopic :whistle:

Edited by Frash

The ideology for the free solution is that people like us switched to paying for it. Its only logical to assume that this hasn't worked.

I'm curious then, are you considering switching to something other than IPB after all this?

(This might have been addressed earlier in the thread, if so, I'm sorry)

I'm curious then, are you considering switching to something other than IPB after all this?

(This might have been addressed earlier in the thread, if so, I'm sorry)

I highly doubt they'll move to anything for awhile.

They've put a ****load of hours into getting their forums from vb to ipb, and did one hell of a job, and I think they feel very comfortable with the way ipb is heading. The fact that their whole site integrates with ipb, it would just be an overkill to move to something else.

Yeah, but you never know. This is the internet after all. I mean we have all sorts of insane stuff going on, Duke Nukem Forever isn't out yet, and Half-Life is nearly out. Imagine if those could happen, Neowin could switch to iKonboard!

Yeah, but you never know. This is the internet after all. I mean we have all sorts of insane stuff going on, Duke Nukem Forever isn't out yet, and Half-Life is nearly out. Imagine if those could happen, Neowin could switch to iKonboard!

Lol, let's hope not. I really want Neowin to use IPB 2.0. :ninja:

To be clear folks - we're sticking with IVB 2 for the forseeable future.

On a side note- if i was a mod / themer/ patcher for IVB, i'd feel slightly dissapointed at the moment.

Whats going to happen to all the invision free hosts?

Are they going to be told to pay for 500+ boards?

rofl i don't think so.

indeed, warez monkeys are already paying there researchers to find a way around it :)

To be clear folks - we're sticking with IVB 2 for the forseeable future.

On a side note- if i was a mod / themer/ patcher for IVB, i'd feel slightly dissapointed at the moment.

Thats the main reason why I'm ****ed at all this, I port the vbskins from www.vbstyles.com to ipb and now we lost a majority of our customers who use the trail version of ipb.

Lee,Sep 28 2004, 16:46] Lol, let's hope not. I really want Neowin to use IPB 2.0. :ninja:

We will be. IPB is still a good piece of software, and since we've paid for the software, this is really only a good move for us, as customers of IPS (regardless of the politics of the decision).

And don't say that vB/Jelsoft's record is squeaky cleant. They squandered their potential to get a BIG jump in the race by taking years to develop vB3. There was a ton of internal problems with the development team that aren't widly known, but vB doesn't have as big a community around it to check for those things 24/7/365.

No, This isnt good at all. Can people share IPB 2.0 final before they made it where people have to pay? what did they say about the people who got it before they made it where its not free anymore?

No, This isnt good at all. Can people share IPB 2.0 final before they made it where people have to pay? what did they say about the people who got it before they made it where its not free anymore?

If you downloaded the trial edition of IPB 2.0 before this announcement came out you can use it for an unlimited time, though you cant distribute it.

Edited by daveS

So its free to distribute, what was them posts on the first page, saying something about warez.... I thought that was IPB 2.0 Download link or something

ooops ! spelling mistake .. should of read cant distribute it.

Wow. This sucks. Really.

I remember sometime ago Matt (the pres of IPB) said that it would always remain free. :rolleyes:

I would find the quote... but you know... they erased all of those.

1984 anyone :shifty: :ninja:

So what? We're gonna be making money! We don't care if many sites go down! Thats what they probably say! Here comes the new Bill Gates or VB whatever!! **** that people! IPS rocked! They made a HUGE mistake. I was gonna buy the board but now that many modders and stuff are all assed up because of that... why would I want IPB if I can't mod it? I'm switching to phpBB but I must admit... IPB is the best forum software out there :(