Planning to dump IE? Think again

For many people, using a non-Microsoft browser such as Firefox is now a must for secure Web surfing--but most still keep a copy of Internet Explorer around just in case.

The problem is that many Web developers create their sites so they work best with Internet Explorer (IE), but not to work as well with browser software used by relatively tiny groups of potential visitors.

Sites subject to complaints from Firefox users include Web travel site Expedia and Microsoft's MSNBC news site. Even Shutterfly, the online photo service backed by Netscape Communications co-founder Jim Clark, warns visitors that it supports only a limited set of browsers.

These incompatibilities between browsers are as big a headache for developers as they are for Web surfers, some professionals say.

"It's definitely a problem," said Noel Briggs, a developer at Web design company NetTensity. "The time we waste on addressing browser incompatibility problems easily amounts to a significant percentage of our payroll."

The biggest reason why most people can't dump IE, however, is Microsoft itself: The software giant's Windows Update site blocks out non-IE browsers completely. That means anyone running Windows who wants to download and install the latest security updates from the Web will have to keep IE close at hand. Some consider that ironic or worse, given that authoritative groups such as Carnegie Mellon University's Computer Emergency Response Team now warn people to stay away from IE because of its myriad security problems.

View: Full Article

News Source: C|NEt News

well duh, it's built into windows.

how about my reason: cuz they do not care about my experience surfing the web and there are better alternatives to do what ie intends to do. oh, but add themes, extensions, and a COMPLIANT parsing engine. hmmm.

MS got confortable and have gotten smacked in the face for it. I use FX, but unlike most obsessive Fx users, I have enough sense to know that MS has the ability and the desire (read as "desire to squash out their trash talking threat") to wow us. Unfortunately, it'll be 2007 before we get to be wowed :unsure:

you don't uninstall IE - you just keep it there...

and if you want to go to windowsupdates or sites that are only compatible with IE then you just use the Browse With IE plug-in.

By publicly talking about what you think is wrong with IE you are giving them everything they need to develope the next generation of thier browser. What the complaints have done is something the "alternative" users never intended for. They have given Microsoft the information and ideas that they need to ensure thier browser is and always will be the market leader.

So the next time you complain about IE and it's security issues, I thank you.

The next time you complain about it's lack of features, I thank you.

The next time you complain about it's html standards, well, I can't be certain on that one. :whistle: but I thank you anyway.

Becouse I know, that down the road in the not too distant future, I will be using a browser that will be faster, stronger and more feature rich than anything else on the market.

and I owe it all to you.

Thank you

like we can get rid of it anyway... :rolleyes: they basically force us to use it because windows update won't work in any other browser. that and the people who refuse to use web standards and make ie-only websites.

MS got confortable and have gotten smacked in the face for it. I use FX, but unlike most obsessive Fx users, I have enough sense to know that MS has the ability and the desire (read as "desire to squash out their trash talking threat") to wow us. Unfortunately, it'll be 2007 before we get to be wowed :unsure:

I'm not sure if MS will let IE sit around for even one more year. I have this vision of IE being relegated to core system functions (Windows Update, its core libraries for programs, etc.) and a downloadable, more advanced browser from MS that kicks ass and isn't tied to the OS. I might be dreaming though.

Every operating system needs a default browser. Its as simple as that. It doesnt have to be the best browser or the most feature rich. All MS has to do is keep it secure and up to date. I've always had 2, sometimes 3 browsers available for testing/compatibility reasons.

hmm, they ask us to keep IE around and then go on to publish this:

IE--embraced, extended, extinct?

"Still, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," O'Grady said. "If Microsoft just added a few new features like tabbed browsing, it would automatically eliminate a lot of the basis for criticism that it is taking right now. I don't know technically what is involved. But I can't see why an organization the size of Microsoft can't do that. The only conclusion I can come to is that the browser is not the important platform to them that it once was."

Three points I'll throw into the circle.

1) Has it ever occured that the reason that IE is such a security nightmare is that it IS the most popular browser still? This makes it prime target for those wishing to use exploits and vunerabilities. Where Microsoft flaw is the long period of time between software updates. This is the only way that alternative browsers can claim the true advantage over IE (all other advantages stem from this one, so don't start raving at me about security and such)

2) Think Microsoft will pull it's act together with IE7? Probably to come with Longhorn?

3) I think what this article is trying to say is that with most alternative browsers, it is still a smart idea to keep IE handy in case the page won't render in the alternative browser.

So this is the problem? They are basically saying "Look, because some web developers are uninterested in web standards and want to develop their sites for IE exclusively, then its probably best that you stop using that technically superior standards compliant browser called FireFox and get on with the security holes and misbehavior of Microsofts browser."

I don't think so.

Microsoft have come a long way, and hell, they even made an OS I find hard to get away from (XP!) but Internet Explorer just sucks compared to FireFox - and its not exactly like its an out of date version of Netscape Navigator or something that can't render pages correctly - it does about 97% of sites that I visit perfectly.

FireFox rules - I won't be changing back.

Here's my story. I decided one day that IE was starting to become a security hazzard on my system so I set out to move to a different browser and was determined to do so.

I decided on Mozilla. I started to use mozilla but found out that I still needed IE for cirtain things, but I requested for those websites to to make their site compatable with mozilla and they did.

Two days later I broke it off with IE. Just like before when I always said that I couldn't live without IE, I'm now saying I can't live without mozilla. It's was 100% worth it.

I was one of the non believers guys. Anyone thinking about switching from IE to Mozilla/Firefox, don't think. Just give it two days like I did and your hooked. Can't be that bad, even some of the guys from Microsoft use it.