[Review] Logitech z-5500

Wait, can I see the back of the control panel? Not the back of the sub, back the back of the control center thing. If anyone had a pic, that would be awesome! Thanks! :-D

Wait, can I see the back of the control panel?  Not the back of the sub, back the back of the control center thing.  If anyone had a pic, that would be awesome!  Thanks!  :-D

584735070[/snapback]

Ah sorry I misread earlier.

Says in the first post, $359 CAD.

Either way, nice speakers, crappy monitor though.  :D

584731230[/snapback]

Yea I know. I only use thsi one when my dad is home tho. I use his when hes gone. 19" Samsung LCD :D

Im saving for a Car and a 23" LCD :D

The Y splitter isn't the best solution but if you get a good quality one such as a monster cable (around 20$ CAD)  then it will do just fine.

584728303[/snapback]

That's also cause of Creative's proprietary digital out connector.

If you have Coax out then it's not an issue. RCA Coax SPDIF is technically better than Optical SPDIF however you wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Wow, ive read some reviews of these fine speakers and i must say im impressed with it. I was just about to get Z680s, thank god i came to Neonet just in time, lol or i woulda shot myself :)

Now i just need to wait and wonder when Z5500s are coming to Malaysia.

It won't? Thats new to me. Receiving a weaker signal degrades quality. Its evident using any audio source.? You're completely wrong.

584726363[/snapback]

No, you're completely wrong. Both are a digital signal and therefore of equal grade. You are seem to be thinking digital works somewhat like analog which it doesn't. The Coax RCA digital input and the optical digital input both receive the exact same data and being that it is digital the interference of either is almost nill.

Oh and I can't quite figure out why anyone would want to use a Y splitter for a digital cable. That seems like using pliers to nail a nail in; it'll work but it's just the wrong tool. What I did was buy a minijack (3/8ths) to female RCA converter and used a male to male RCA cable to my coax digital input and that works great on my Boston Acoustics system. Of course the ideal solution would be to use a minijack to RCA male cable and avoid buying a converter, but that may be hard to find.

Also, a note on signal quality. Splitting a digital signal will not degrade it. Remember, it is a digital signal and therefore will not work unless an entire signal packet is received. Digital signals don't depend on the strength of a signal to transfer amplitude (loudness level) or quality. If a digital signal is weak you will get nothing and therefore hear nothing. So, if you hear anything then it works just fine.

ok i have the regular audigy 2 zs and i want to get the z5500 speakers what would i need to get the digital sound working and stuff and how would i hook it up. thx in advance for the help.

Nice review, however I have two questions. Firstly, the z-680 speakers are infamous for the hiss produced by the speakers and since the z-5500 are basically upgraded versions of the 680's I was wondering if your speakers produce any white noise at all. And secondly I was wondering if there were any other reviews out there on the net on these speakers.

Nice review, however I have two questions. Firstly, the z-680 speakers are infamous for the hiss produced by the speakers and since the z-5500 are basically upgraded versions of the 680's I was wondering if your speakers produce any white noise at all. And secondly I was wondering if there were any other reviews out there on the net on these speakers.

584752068[/snapback]

That was fixed in a later revision for the Z-680s, if you hold down input and settings -- it'll display the firmware. It was fixed with firmware 1.1.2..

I can assure you, that if you go buy the Z680s, you will have 1.1.2

anyone know what i need?

584753612[/snapback]

A 3.5MM MiniJack to RCA Y-Splitter.

And for the other question. Ther eis a hiss at high volume but that is normal on speakers. Almost, if not all speakers do that. Its not very noticable. God the audigy makes these speakers less good. God damn audigy. Me wants M-Audio.

And for the other question. Ther eis a hiss at high volume but that is normal on speakers. Almost, if not all speakers do that. Its not very noticable. God the audigy makes these speakers less good. God damn audigy. Me wants M-Audio.

So the hiss is only noticeable at high volumes? Not at low volumes right?

Hey my first post. Just a few questions.

I want to get a speaker system hookup for my ps2 and dvd player. i just dont know enough about hooking up so il ask these questions.

1. since these speakers dont use speakerwire how long are the cables that come with them, liquid gave 25' as the length for the rear channels. is that in feet? and how long are the wires for the front channels

2. Also is possible to hook a av reciever to this system.

3. how do you use the surround sound feature, from dvds and video games off the ps2 or a dvd player.

4. would you recommend using the z-5500 for a home theather system?

Hey my first post. Just a few questions.

I want to get a speaker system hookup for my ps2 and dvd player. i just dont know enough about hooking up so il ask these questions.

1. since these speakers dont use speakerwire how long are the cables that come with them, liquid gave 25' as the length for the rear channels. is that in feet? and how long are the wires for the front channels

2. Also is possible to hook a av reciever to this system.

3. how do you use the surround sound feature, from dvds and video games off the ps2 or a dvd player.

4. would you recommend using the z-5500 for a home theather system?

5. how would i try to hook up my tv to the system. I do have a headphoen jack in the front of the tv but i was hoping their was a alternate option.