[Review] Logitech z-5500

ok guys i finally got the z-5500, and im a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I know how to connect it to my ps2, and i know how to connect it to my dvd player (also to select a external decoder) but one thing still plagues me....

I have a decent tv and i would like to hook up the z-5500 to it so i can just use its speakers, can one of you explain to me how to do this because im really stumped. :blush: :no:

Help :o

ok guys i finally got the z-5500, and im a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I know how to connect it to my ps2, and i know how to connect it to my dvd player (also to select a external decoder) but one thing still plagues me....

I have a decent tv and i would like to hook up the z-5500 to it so i can just use its speakers, can one of you explain to me how to do this because im really stumped.?:blush::?:no:o:

Hel:o:o

584826074[/snapback]

the 6 channel input can be used as 3 stereo inputs, so you can use say, 2xRCA -> Mini Jack converter and ya hooked up... long as either your TV or say, VCR has the good old standard stereo white/red RCA outputs

so the question really is... what kind of outputs do you have either on the TV/VCR ?

EDIT: also if you have a topbox, they normally have a digital output aswell... hooking that up would be alot eaise:):)

all this talk about connecting with RCA - y splitter.. could we just go from the digital out minijack connector to optical in to the control pod of the z5500? if you have an optical to minijack adapter? Wouldnt that be the best sound since its digital?

and most DVD/ps2/xbox/audigy 2 sound card have optical out...

I was thinking about getting the Gigaworks 700 (or 750). someone posted that it was analogue? i have the MegaWorks 510D (which im selling $100-$150, ill find someone) and it had the digital in, for my audigy. So thats why they sell it with the decoder, i just may wait for the next speakers from them, and i really wanted them. If i can only find a better deal. Why would they not include a digital-in? space/heat reasons?

all this talk about connecting with RCA - y splitter.. could we just go from the digital out minijack connector to optical in to the control pod of the z5500?  if you have an optical to minijack adapter?  Wouldnt that be the best sound since its digital?

and most DVD/ps2/xbox/audigy 2 sound card have optical out...

584829219[/snapback]

Well i did say this was an option... but we are talking about how to get "TV" audio through the speakers... which means you have to think about general TV's or VCR's.. or wherever your antenna goes through. Again unless you have a set top box for digital TV you arn't going to have digital out for normal TV sound. (not the majority anyways, i know it *can* be done)

well if i got the y adapter how would i be able to use all my speakers to play just regular telivision audio

584829706[/snapback]

generally speaking... you can normally find a red/white RCA output on a vcr, or a "newer" style tv. this will be your best source unless you can find a digital output for simplicity.

So looking at the Z-5500 you have analouge input via the 6channel/3x2 channel input plugs... but these are stereo minijacks, not RCA, so you need to convert the two RCA plugs into one stereo minijack, then set the control pod to use the 3 stereo option, then change the input i gather and set an effect...

that should be all there is to it really.... if you want output on all the speakers, check the effects, Stereo X2, PL 2 Music mode maybe... you'll have to play with the effects to see what you preffer :)

the Y adapter should also be relativly cheap

and good luck i guess, lucky ****** :)

i did find a set of speakers however that i like... B&W ones... only $322,500 for 7.1 surround... not bad hey? lol

I was thinking about getting the Gigaworks 700 (or 750). someone posted that it was analogue? i have the MegaWorks 510D (which im selling $100-$150, ill find someone) and it had the digital in, for my audigy.  So thats why they sell it with the decoder, i just may wait for the next speakers from them, and i really wanted them.  If i can only find a better deal.  Why would they not include a digital-in? space/heat reasons?

584829456[/snapback]

I think it is because Creative Labs uses more expensive audio components as opposed to Logitech. That doesn't mean that Logitech's stuff are complete junk, just not as expensive as Creative. I mean if you look at the satellites which essential are the MC-100 Newton speakers from Cambridge SoundWorks and if you look up the cost for EACH of those MC-100s on www.cambridgesoundworks.com you'll find that they cost about $80 USD each. Five of these costs $400 USD which is the price of the system. This is not with the subwoofer, amplifer, controller box, or wiring. It is not possible to have add in the decoder box for the same price that they have.

They do have an excellent external one, the Creative DDTS-100 that is I think the best PC digital decoder box at the moment, and add it in with the speakers but the cost would be more. For something that most typical PC users don't use, they think it is unnecessary and will discourage buyers from purchasing their system. Now do you see why Creative Labs and Klipsch don't include the digital decoder box with their high-end system?

Now for $400 USD you get a whole system with speakers and subwoofer and an amplifier unlike those speaker packages (not HTiB) is an excellent deal. These speakers sound better than any speaker packages including HTiB that is under $600 USD. This is why excellent speaker systems like these (including Logitechs) are very good for their prices.

So which soundcard would be ideal for these z-5500s? So that I wouldn't have to use any adapter or something like that to get these work correctly. And excuse my english and my stupidity :unsure:

well there is no way to get audio running through all the speakers, on the back of the control pod, each mini jack input coressponds to certain speaker, such as input 2 goes to sub/center. So unless you can have a rca adapter that runns into a six channel direct wire set in 6 channel direct mode then there is no way for me to get tv audio on all speakers.

So which soundcard would be ideal for these z-5500s? So that I wouldn't have to use any adapter or something like that to get these work correctly. And excuse my english and my stupidity :unsure:

584833538[/snapback]

Any soundcard that supports 5.1 will work. I have a Audigy 2 ZS and it works great.

well there is no way to get audio running through all the speakers, on the back of the control pod, each mini jack input coressponds to certain speaker, such as input 2 goes to sub/center. So unless you can have a rca adapter that runns into a six channel direct wire set in 6 channel direct mode then there is no way for me to get tv audio on all speakers.

584834879[/snapback]

effects solve this "problem", the 6 input can be changed to 3 "seperate" stereo inputs on the Z-5500, unlike the Z-680's

using Stereo x2 (uses all speakers except the center i think) or using Dolby Pro Logic II mode mixes the channels over the other speakers

Any soundcard that supports 5.1 will work. I have a Audigy 2 ZS and it works great.

584835745[/snapback]

According to your signature you have Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1, not Logitech z-5500...

According to your signature you have Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1, not Logitech z-5500...

584837386[/snapback]

They get connected the same way though which is 3 stereo jacks to the sound card which is already included with the Z-5500 package.

So if I hook these up with audigy 2 zs by default cables, I can enjoy that digital sound? And if so, what's the fuss with 3.5MM MiniJack to RCA Y-Splitter and other stuff?

If you really want to connect it digitally, you will need to get an adapter from Radio Shack to connect it to your sound card. Otherwise, you will have to connect it by the analog cables, which will have almost the same quality as digitally depending on what sound card you have.

I can now confirm that these speakers do indeed use the "Tangband W3-871" speakers!

w3-871s_3.jpg

Image from TB-Speaker.com

584834524[/snapback]

Did you take it apart? Tangband has many similar speakers.

Thanks

"Is that a good or a bad thing?"

Its a great thing.

LIQUID, I read in one of your posts that connecting your 5500's to your Audigy sound card was somewhat of a hassle. In what ways do you mean? I bought a monster optical cable and I was wondering if you knew how to connect it to the system and the sound card in order to take advantage of the digital sound. Also is are there any settings on my computer, sound card, or speakers that I have to mess around with? If anybody could help me out with this I'd appreciate it.

hey i need to know how i can extend the range of my read satellite speaker cables for the z-5500, if anyone can link me to the proper cables that would be greatly appreciated.

Will do ASAP, I modded my audigy plat deck now to use the Coax out on it so i just have a cable coming from inside my computer lol.

AWWK! My mom has my camera, I have to wait till she gets home.

584776844[/snapback]

Liquid, after your review I am interested in purchasing these speakers and was already planning on getting the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card (only because the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card is not good with games I've heard). How exactly did you modify the sound card that you described above? Did you not have to use the minijack to RCA splitter after this modification? I am very interested in knowing because I don't want an optical cable coming from the front of my computer (from the live drive of the sound card) to the speakers because I think it would look crappy.