[Review] Logitech z-5500

any word on a new version of 5.1 speakers from logitech? i'm on my 2nd rma and i was think about just getting the newer version of speakers and pay a price difference if they'll let me. can't risk getting a 3rd rma

any word on a new version of 5.1 speakers from logitech? i'm on my 2nd rma and i was think about just getting the newer version of speakers and pay a price difference if they'll let me. can't risk getting a 3rd rma

Yeah, I want to know, too, before I pull the trigger and get a new set of Z-5500.

Yeah, I want to know, too, before I pull the trigger and get a new set of Z-5500.

Me three....

I have been waiting a while... I haven't found any leaked info or anything. So either they are really hush hush... or there isn't a new set :(

I am using Z-5500, and I never go above 5 on pc and 7 on x360, after that it's just too loud for me. I don't want complaint from my neighbor. They are really good speakers and you can connect your iPod too if you have the right cable (one of those phone jack to phone jack), I am having trouble thinking when I get PS3 how the hell will I connect PC, X360, PS3. :(

of course i'll stick to the 5.1 setup. i don't have any more room for two more satellites. these 5 do it fine. i'm just looking out for the new version since they have a new line for the mouse and keyboard and z-10 speakers. i thought they would maybe kick in a new version of 5.1 speakers too. i might wait a little bit longer and tell them i'll be likely to pay a diff for the newer version as my 2nd rma

My replacement set is scheduled to be here Monday. I started the RMA process back in the beginning of January and have been using a cheap pair of Dell speakers. I can't wait to use the Logitech's when they get here. Hopefully the control pod will last longer than 2 years with the new set :huh:

I've personally had the chance to turn the Z-5500s to their limit, (What I mean is, Macbook volume is at 100, Z-5500 sub at max, and at Boost 3) now while not the entire way, had it set there playing music for over a good 5 hours, still sound just as good as when I bought them. Of course you have to have the speakers warmed up, dont just get home and crank it that high, or you are going to kill something.

I've personally had the chance to turn the Z-5500s to their limit, (What I mean is, Macbook volume is at 100, Z-5500 sub at max, and at Boost 3) now while not the entire way, had it set there playing music for over a good 5 hours, still sound just as good as when I bought them. Of course you have to have the speakers warmed up, dont just get home and crank it that high, or you are going to kill something.

Haha holy jesus that would be loud. I had it the loudest I've ever had it just then, and it was below the 'V'. One day I'll have to crank it. :D

Haha holy jesus that would be loud. I had it the loudest I've ever had it just then, and it was below the 'V'. One day I'll have to crank it. :D

yarly, this thing gets loud. Not just loud, but ****ING loud. Fun-tack everything down in your house. :ninja:

yarly, this thing gets loud. Not just loud, but ****ING loud. Fun-tack everything down in your house:ninja:a:

personal experience: If you have a china cabinet with actual china, do NOT buy the Z-5500 with intent of turning them up. It will end badly. Speakers 1, China 0

• 2 months later...

Sorry for a bit of a thread resurrection, but I'm thinking of picking one of these up.

My computer has a X-Fi XtremeMusic, and my motherboard has TOSlink and Coaxial. I am a bit unsure of some things.

Which will sound better with my PC?

- Using the three jacks (Green, Black, Orange) with my X-Fi

- Using the Coaxial input with my motherboard

- Using the TOSlink input with my motherboard

As for the X-Fi, I can say that I am running Windows XP :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Which will sound better with my PC?

- Using the three jacks (Green, Black, Orange) with my X-Fi

- Using the Coaxial input with my motherboard

- Using the TOSlink input with my motherboard

I can only assume that it would sound best with the Green, Black, and Orange cables because you will be plugging it into Sound Card. If you plug it into your motherboard, you're not taking advantage of your X-Fi Sound Card.

Now if you want to experience the best sound, TOSlink would be best, but if only you had an input for it. Lucky there is a way you can get that. You can buy an upgrade package from creative to expand what you currently have.

xsell_14659.jpg OR xsell_14711.jpg

The first choice is cheaper. They both have Coaxial/Optical inputs.

I can only assume that it would sound best with the Green, Black, and Orange cables because you will be plugging it into Sound Card. If you plug it into your motherboard, you're not taking advantage of your X-Fi Sound Card.

Now if you want to experience the best sound, TOSlink would be best, but if only you had an input for it. Lucky there is a way you can get that. You can buy an upgrade package from creative to expand what you currently have.

xsell_14659.jpg OR xsell_14711.jpg

The first choice is cheaper. They both have Coaxial/Optical inputs.

if you have the room for another 5.25 box in your machine, I would highly suggest the one that goes in there. it is less of a hassel having to carry around a seperate box for your sound. Although the downside to that is that you have the cable running out the front of your rig. alternatively, you could just mount it backwards inside your rig, but that would defeat the purpose of it.

Will the 6ch direct cables be able to take advantage of DTS and other 5.1 features? Just how much better is Digital Optical than 6ch direct?

Besides the crystallizer, will Optical through the X-Fi sound any better than Optical through the motherboard?

Edited by Kibbles

Is it worth it connecting my PC to the Z-5500 via Optical / Coax?

I won't be viewing many DVDs on my PC, only videos, music, and games.

I looked on the Creative forums:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...essage.id=12170

So via Optical / Coax:

- I won't get 5.1 surround in games that use EAX?

- My existing music collection (non-ac3 / dts) will work only with Dolby ProLogic II?

Do you think it's more worth it to use 6ch direct than Optical / Coax?

Will DTS and AC3 still be decoded on the Z-5500 (when I bypass the X-Fi decoding) over 6ch direct?