[Review] Logitech z-5500

my z-5500's hum from time to time. i find that, the cord that connects the control pod, kinda becomes lose or sumthing, and this causes this hum ( i fink sum1 else in this forum, mite have said this already). but yeah, just touch the connector, and the hum will stop, ull hear thuds and pops, but itll be silent again, for a while....

mins is really annoying, as the sub pumps away, the connecter gets lose again, and ull have to tighten it up sumhow again. really really friggin annoying ><

• 5 weeks later...

those would be from walmart or bestbuy i do believe.. they around 50$ at bestbuy.. not sure at walmart

Sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone know a model number/manufacturer of a decent floor stand for these, or perhaps where in the UK I might find something like that?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my z-5500's hum from time to time. i find that, the cord that connects the control pod, kinda becomes lose or sumthing, and this causes this hum ( i fink sum1 else in this forum, mite have said this already). but yeah, just touch the connector, and the hum will stop, ull hear thuds and pops, but itll be silent again, for a while....

mins is really annoying, as the sub pumps away, the connecter gets lose again, and ull have to tighten it up sumhow again. really really friggin annoying ><

i've had mine for almost two years and mine don't hum. you might make sure that all your connections are snug.

the thud and pop is from dirty power. i live in an apt complex and when i turn off my ceiling fan or fan in the bathroom or if someone close by does the same the sub bumps. you can buy a decent power conditioner to stop this but it's not design problem it a common problem.

• 2 weeks later...
i've had mine for almost two years and mine don't hum. you might make sure that all your connections are snug.

the thud and pop is from dirty power. i live in an apt complex and when i turn off my ceiling fan or fan in the bathroom or if someone close by does the same the sub bumps. you can buy a decent power conditioner to stop this but it's not design problem it a common problem.

the hum comes from the sub when nothing is playing, easy way to find it is put it in 6 channel direct and put your ear next to the sub with nothing playing. its there.

Pretty much the same thing as pricegrabber, gotta love the tax rape on CA.

Guess I will wait, it seems like a lot of places have had them out of stock for a while, any news of new Z-5500 replacements from Logitech?

Logitech will be receiving new units in by mid-January. That's when I have to send mine back in.

Logitech will be receiving new units in by mid-January. That's when I have to send mine back in.

So I guess they're not bringing up a new revision of them or new Z-XXXX to replace them as the other forums would have me believe... Good, I guess.

So it will be more around Feb when they will start receiving more Z-5500s, right? Considering it is now Mid-Jan.

Thanks!

So I guess they're not bringing up a new revision of them or new Z-XXXX to replace them as the other forums would have me believe... Good, I guess.

So it will be more around Feb when they will start receiving more Z-5500s, right? Considering it is now Mid-Jan.

Thanks!

I held off on buying Klipsch 5.1 Ultras last fall because they were disappearing fast and I assumed a new revision was coming out. People on the Klipsch forums claimed that new models were coming, but when all was said and done a moderator on the Klipsch forums said they were being phased out with no plans for a new model because they were priced too high to sell in the current market where far cheaper 5.1 choices exist. So i was forced to go with the z-5500s instead. Hopefully Logitech doesn't phase these out with no replacement, or nice pc speakers will be limited to the 499 dollar creative/cambridge set.

I love the z-5500s, and replaced the standard speaker wire with some better stuff. But having the klipsch 5.1 ultras one room away is always a reminder that I should've acted faster. Owell, they sound much much better than the 4 year old klipsch 2.1s that they replaced so I am happy :).

Well at the prices they are now, I doubt I will get them anytime soon, I can only, according to various price check websites, get them at Zipzoomfly for 400+ California Sales Tax, mind you just about all those websites charge taxes to Californians.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for z5500 owners -

How loud can you turn the volume up on the control unit before damaging the speakers (assuming the PC's volume is at 100)? I haven't been past 'V' on the world 'Volume', I'm using a cheap digital cable aswell.

Thanks.