Bittorrent kills my internet connection

Please help me with this problem

I am running a WinXP sp2 home installation. I dont have any kind of LAN in my PC. I have applied the patch to increase the tcpip connections. This particular problem started yesterday.

I am a cable internet user. Yesterday when I was using Azureus to download a torrent (@ 100+ KB/s speed), the download suddenly stopped. When I checked the connection, I found that none of the internet applications are working (including browsers, chat pgms). Basically net was killed somehow. I restarted the modem and it started working again. But again when I start Azureus, it downloads for about 1 to 2 mins and kills the connection. I believe this happens once the seeder+leecher no. becomes very high.

I tried changing the bittorrent client, but no use. I checked the eventlog. There was one error from 'IPNATHLP' (event: 32003). I havent installed NAT or windows firewall. And I disabled the Windows service which starts them.

Still the problem continues but now the 'IPNATHLP' error doesnt come. If I try any other protocol for downloading, this doesnt happen. But with bittorrent, it occurs.

I dont know what to do. I hope the Internet Gurus here can help me in this matter.

welcome to neowin.

you see, p2p is only half-legal so i hate giving you support for it. so..you know p2p includes uploading aswell..not only downloading..that might kill your line. i know aol doesn't like up- and downloading at the same time.

Do you use a router or something similar? I've had a similar problem before where the amount of connections that azureus is doing is filling up the connections table on my router, consequently when I try to use any other internet-using program it fails.

My solution - change the maximum amount of connections used for azureus (found in configuration). I have it set to 300 and seems to be fine for me atm.

Hope this helps :)

I know p2p is half legal, but I dont think this problem will be restricted to p2p alone. I think it happens because many people try to connect to my PC simultaneously. That can happen in other ways too.

I hope someone will be able to find a solution.

welcome to neowin.

you see, p2p is only half-legal so i hate giving you support for it. so..you know p2p includes uploading aswell..not only downloading..that might kill your line. i know aol doesn't like up- and downloading at the same time.

584772936[/snapback]

No I dont have any router. I shall try your tip about Azureus and get you back. But the problem persisted even when I changed the client. Therefore there must be a generic solution.

No I dont have any router. I shall try your tip about Azureus and get you back. But the problem persisted even when I changed the client. Therefore there must be a generic solution.

I've been having problems with p2p also. Even though I'm only downloading at ~80kb/s it completely kills the LAN speed. We can't load up a webpage without problems on any machine on the LAN and there's 4 computers.

My solution - change the maximum amount of connections used for azureus (found in configuration). I have it set to 300 and seems to be fine for me atm.

Hope this helps :)

584772964[/snapback]

No man. It is not working.

Are u using Internet Connection Sharing?

584773163[/snapback]

No, I am not using ICS.

don't worry, your problem happens with a lot of people as I have found out over the past. I think it has a lot to do with your cable modem and how it works. I have the same problem with or without a router. I know it is very annoying because you cannot download anything consistently over bit torrent without having to constantly monitor your connection. Anyway, good luck finding a solution. BTW, is it a Linksys modem? That is the one I have seen do it the most. The motorola surfboards seem pretty good from what I hear. Maybe try one of those. If you find an answer, be sure and let me know.

Search a patch whose name is EvID4226Patch.exe from google. It might be helpful!

584773232[/snapback]

I think the patch you are talking about is the one which modifies tcpip.sys to increase the no.of connections. If so, well, I already applied it.

don't worry, your problem happens with a lot of people as I have found out over the past.  I think it has a lot to do with your cable modem and how it works.  I have the same problem with or without a router.  I know it is very annoying because you cannot download anything consistently over bit torrent without having to constantly monitor your connection.  Anyway, good luck finding a solution.  BTW, is it a Linksys modem?  That is the one I have seen do it the most.  The motorola surfboards seem pretty good from what I hear.  Maybe try one of those.  If you find an answer, be sure and let me know.

584773233[/snapback]

I am using a Motorola surfboard SB4200 modem.

I think the patch you are talking about is the one which modifies tcpip.sys to increase the no.of connections. If so, well, I already applied it.

I am using a Motorola surfboard SB4200 modem.

584773484[/snapback]

What firmware does your SB4200 have. If it's any version earlier then 4.4.2 it needs to be updated or else your crashing problem will continue when using any app that requires a sudden large amount of incoming/outgoing connections to be made.

I had that problem with Zone Alarm 5 that killed my connection till I switched back to 4.5

584773692[/snapback]

I am not using any firewall; not even the one that comes with Windows.

ima take a wild guess at it trying to upload faster than what your connection can do, normally ends up killing the connection... well it does here, try a client which you can control the upload speed and set it below your top upload speed, to be honest not used bittorrent proggys in an age, but used to happen alot

Checky

a lot of ISPs will cut your connection or cap your speeds if they notice you are "Acting as a server". usually and ISP will require you to pay more if you want to have a "server" on your network. just get on bt, then get off... unfortunately you are not able to share, and thats the end of it.

Cant be much help right now, sorry. I dont have enough time to go search for it atm. However, do a search in the forums for XP Sp2 limiting TCP connections. I have seen it affect larger torrent downloads. I dont see in the thread suggesting that yet.

i had this problem, it was caused by mcafee firewall. I tried norton, had the same problem. I'm now using the sp2 firewall and no longer have the problem.

Sometimes, if my pc has been on for a few days and downloading, my internet apps such as MSN messenger are frequently disconnected from the internet while the p2p app is running, rebooting the pc clears this problem.

I read somewhere at the time that mcaffe/norton dont like p2p apps. I concur with this.

I notice you aren't using a firewall at all, so it's not likely to be anything i've suggested re: software. I did however notice that there was a patch my belkin hardware router that caused it to disconnect when there were too many connections. Maybe something like this is happening to your modem?

the bottom line is that bittorrent is a resource hog, in theory it could be causing problems somewhere on you ISP's network and causing a dodgy router to fail... there's bugger all you can do about this really, why not use usenet instead, it's much faster and more reliable (IMHO)

;)

I've tried everything, as I have the same problem, and nothing will work. it deals with the internal workings of the modem itself... Maybe its the RIAA and MPAA sending signals back to the modem to shut itself off... hmmmmm

If the file isn't 100% seeded, you might be hitting the maximum amount you can get. BT "spreads" the bandwith, so don't be concerned if all you are doing is uploading for a period of time. Its meant to make sure everyone gets the file slowly so people can't jump off when they finish.

If the file isn't 100% seeded, you might be hitting the maximum amount you can get. BT "spreads" the bandwith, so don't be concerned if all you are doing is uploading for a period of time. Its meant to make sure everyone gets the file slowly so people can't jump off when they finish.

584775679[/snapback]

This file has about 500+ seeders and 300+ leechers.