Bittorrent kills my internet connection

Hmm, Nestor, I don't know if it was me you replied to.

I did not patch my modem, I just upped the allowed number of connection in windows with the patch for the 4226 issue. I have a adsl router btw, seems like most people are on cable modems in america, but not here in Norway. As mentioned, the problem is definitly not my router, since the problem freezes my whole lan-connection.

bufodill - yes I confused the issue with someone elses comments of their cable modem this was a reply to the original person who posted and a few others along the way.

Can you reset your router back to factory defaults?

Edited by Nestor

There is no reason to reset the router, when all the other computers on my local network works as normal. it is only the one computer that has this problem. I can even run bittorrent on the other computers and they won't experience the same problem. It is just this one computer that disconnects itself from the network until I kill bittorrent on it.

As mentioned, I run the patch to upp the limit of connections, and 12 hours later it seems to have helped. I hope I didn't jinx myself.

I have the same problem with 2 different modems (doesn't matter which one I use) The rca dcm245 and the linksys cable modem (no router built in)

The best explanation i have seen of these effect is that the bit storm or mass of connections cause the modem to lose connectivity to the cable company, lose sync I guess.

I am curious about the surfboard modem how hard is it to update the firmware as I don't think i can update the firmware on either of mine.

I have used sevral bit torrent clients (azureus is the worst when it comes to this issue) and they all cause this problem to one degree or another.

i am having what appears to be the same issues using Utorrent on Tiscali with the Sagem Modem. I can be downloading during the night but when checking in the morning although I appear to be connected there is no upload or download speed. When I try to search for a web page I receive the "Page is not available" screen. The only way I can get up and running is to reset my modem.

Any help??

Cheers

Your problem is most likely a problem with your isp capping your connection. You will find with tiscali (to name one) if they see your using alot of bandwidth they will just kill your connection.

Bear in mind - the latest version of azeurues may not always solve your problem.

I encountered a similiar situation occuring with my computer a while ago - and fixed it by going back to the azeurues installer and doing a clean install. It worked fine until it updated via the auto-update utility and then stopped working again.

What it did - was somehow prevent all three network cards (wifi, laptop and dock) from communicating to anything - even pinging localhost. Forced to reboot the computer, and then it worked.

So I re-installed azeureus again - and stoped the auto update. However this problem only occured with the auto update, and not with the version direct from the website.

However you mentioned your problem also occured with other torrent clients as well.

Here is what you could do.

Run one torrent downloading only.

Restrict it to 2 concurrent uploads, and restrict that to 1kb for that torrent while downloading.

Restrict the global download to 5kb - on a 256/64 DSL line you shouldn't upload more than that or it will affect your performance.

Restrict the number of connection available for a single torrent to less than 100.

Let that run overnite and see how it goes.

Or you can upgrade the firmware to your modem, but you really need to install some firewall software if you are running a DSL Modem rather than a router - and leaving the PC on connected to torrents - who knows what is attempting to gain access to your computer while you are downloading. It could even be this causing the problem.

This may be a stupid question but here goes anyway :blush:

I am running Zonealarm with uTorrent. Do I have to allow uTorrent to accept connections from the internet? and run as a server? These are the two pop ups from Zonealarm. Up until now I have been saying yes to both of them but last night I denied the 'accept connections to the internet' and was still downloading, slowly, but downloading none the less.

Cheers

N

• 3 weeks later...

Bittorrent also kills my internet connection. I'm using abc-client for a year now and never had problems. Suddenly internet became slow when downloading a few huge torrent files and a some hours later there was no connection at all. Restarted, but all pcs on the network suffer when I open abc now. When closing down the abc-client, the connection becomes active again right away and everything works fine.

Have tried different clients, no result.

I found out that, even when i reduce the number of connections and upload speed, there always are the same ip-addresses trying to connect for every different torrent I seed or download. These are 38.101.109.*, (with * between 39 and 89), they make up about 80% of the total connections (at the moment set to 60 max). I think they are the problem...anybody found the same?

Heres my experience.

I have the same problem but I live with it. Im with NTL 10meg service. Reason it shuts down is because of the modem (lil silver slim box). It cant support multiple upload/downloads which torrents use unlike html which is usually one. This scrambles the modem and locks it up. Need to unplug the modem. I dont know where your from or your isp but if you are UK and NTL ask for a new modem, as Im going to finally get round to doing. Only reason I dont is NTL take ages doing ANYTHING.

• 5 months later...

This thread has branched off into so many directions, it's hard to know where to even begin.....

First off....when someone says they have to reboot their computer to fix the problem....even temporarily, STOP telling them they need to update....reconfigure....do a rain dance for their modem. If rebooting solves the issue, then the modem has little or nothing to do with the problem. I will say however that it's generally a good idea to keep all firmwares updated for your modem, router, print servers, etc...

For those of you who have to reboot to fix the problem, you may not have to. Try this, right-click on your my network places and select properties. This will pull up your network connections. Normally....when there's a problem with the network...be it modem...router...switch...a simple release/renew of the IP address should suffice. However when I have the problem indicated by the guy who originally started this thread, a release/renew or repair doesn't work. Here's what you can do though, there should be a connection there called local area connection, right click on it and select disable. Wait for it to show it's status as disabled then right click again and select enable. This is the only way I can fix the problem without having to reboot.

As for keeping it fixed, I'm at a loss. I've been dealing with this problem for months now. It doesn't happen every night, regardless of the upload or download caps, regardless of the multitude of options I've played with in that past few months. Although I will mention that it does indeed happen more often when either the download or upload speeds near their maximum capacity or if several torrents are active at once. Keeping it simple stupid, one donwloading, one seeding....capping the upload speed...etc...will usually keep it stable overnight, but it's no gaurantee.

This problem didn't start happening until I was looking at ways to tweak azureus to get better download speeds. I was maxing out at 35KB/s with a 9meg/1meg service from COX Cable with the default settings azureus comes with. This didn't seem right to me. The first thing the guide said was to use that 4226 patch to change the half open connections from 10 to 50(or whatever you decide). I'll make mention here that I had never experienced the problem before I did this. The rest were just changes in the azureus client itself.

I'm not saying the 4226 patch itself is to blame, but something was changed during that process, because even when I reset the connections to 10 and used all default settings in azureus, the problem remained.

I've seen this problem pop up in several forums over the net and no one seems to have a difinitive answer, my purpose here is to keep the paper trail going, so to speak. I've been a desktop/network administrator for nearly 10 years, so I'm no noob here. If I can help anyone, I will try.

• 2 months later...

Please help me with this problem

I am running a WinXP sp2 home installation. I dont have any kind of LAN in my PC. I have applied the patch to increase the tcpip connections. This particular problem started yesterday.

I am a cable internet user. Yesterday when I was using Azureus to download a torrent (@ 100+ KB/s speed), the download suddenly stopped. When I checked the connection, I found that none of the internet applications are working (including browsers, chat pgms). Basically net was killed somehow. I restarted the modem and it started working again. But again when I start Azureus, it downloads for about 1 to 2 mins and kills the connection. I believe this happens once the seeder+leecher no. becomes very high.

I tried changing the bittorrent client, but no use. I checked the eventlog. There was one error from 'IPNATHLP' (event: 32003). I havent installed NAT or windows firewall. And I disabled the Windows service which starts them.

Still the problem continues but now the 'IPNATHLP' error doesnt come. If I try any other protocol for downloading, this doesnt happen. But with bittorrent, it occurs.

I dont know what to do. I hope the Internet Gurus here can help me in this matter.

i have had the same problem

mine was 31250000 hz when it should of been 31000000 hz

i set the starting frequency back to 31000000 and resarted the modem

this solved my problem hope it helps

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problems as others posting here, but I wanted to add my experiences because I think it will help from going down the wrong path.

First off, I just want to say that Bit Torrents are legal, just don't download copyrighted material when using it. I download Open Source software (Like big Linux Distro ISO's) all the time.....or at least until I started having these problems. :no:

Anyway, what I have found is this......

It doesn't matter if I use Azureus or uTorrent, (on my desktop) they both do the same thing. If I leave a torrent running overnight, it not only kills my Internet connection (all computers in my house can't access the Internet), but it also kills the network connection on my LAN (my workstation can't access my local server). I know this was mentioned before, but please bare with me. If I simply kill my Torrent app, my Internet connnection does not come back, but my LAN connection does. I must reboot my DSL modem for my Internet connection to come back.

On the other hand, if I only leave my Torrent app open for a little while (a couple of hours or so) it will run fine for a little bit and then I will loose LAN connectivity, but not Internet for the whole house. At that point, all I have to do is close the Torrent app for my LAN connection to come back.

Okay, here's the real kicker. I can run a Torrent client (either Azureus or uTorrent) from my Laptop (running the same OS levels as my desktop) just fine without any problems at all. I leave it running for days in a row without problem. I can also reboot my desktop into Linux (running OpenSUSE), running Azureus and I can download Torrents with no problems at all.

All this being said, I can't see how it is anything but a local workstation issue. Possibly a setting in Windows, my Torrent apps or maybe another app that I have installed on my desktop. I haven't done a packet trace on my workstation when it is having a probelem, but it must be sending out a packet (or many packets) that end up killing my modem.

Sorry for the long explaination and I know I repeated a lot things already mentioned here, but hopefully this ties things together a little more. I don't think it is a problem with the modem, router or anything like that. I will do the packet trace and follow up with my results.

Do you get any error in the Event Log?

If I let it go too long and it kills my Internet connection, I get "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts." If I go just long enough to kill my workstations LAN connection, I get nothing in the Event Viewer.

Well, I feel like an idiot. I applied this patch (Event ID 4226 Patch) and it seems to have fixed my problem. I didn't apply it before posting because some people were saying that it didn't fix the problem. After reading the article mentioned, it makes sense to me. If you are still having this problem, apply the patch and make sure that your tcpip.sys file gets updated and that Windows doesn't roll it back (it will try). After that, reboot and you should be fine.

Edited by bassmonkey

I have had this problem for awhile too; everytime i leave azureus on for too long, the LAN connection to the router for this machine dies without affecting other computers on the network. I tried to disable the Local Area Connection and re-enable it but the computer just freezes up. This to me seemed like a network card problem so I check the driver version and it was from year 2003!! Therefore, i went to my motherboard supplier website and downloaded a new driver and everything seems fine for the time been.

Just out of curiosity, does any body whos having the same problem has the Realtek RTL8169/8110 Faimly Gigabit Ethernet NIC on their Gigabyte motherboard? If so, i believe an old driver could be the problem. You just need to go to http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...enter_List.aspx and update it. Hopefuly it solves the problem.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. It occured suddenly without changing anything with my system. But my provider changed bandwith (it's 25 mbs now) and so I think it really has something to do with plus of connections I have.

I searched the web for answers and found a guy on a German router forum who seemed to be knowing what he was talking about. He said it's a problem with something called "DHT" (don't ask me what exactly it is). Bittorrent usually produces more and more of them without deleting the old ones and the router always prefers the old ones, so from one point it kills your connection. However you can switch off this DHT (2 ticks in mutorrent) thing in your client. I did it today and so far everything works fine.

I really hope this is the solution! Good luck guys P2P forever

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

okay i can see this is an old thread but ill try

I have the same problem, ive been using utorrent and limewire, ( not the same time) for a long time now if i start the programe my internet goes down, and no computers can log on the net, then i restart my router and it works fine, if the torrent programe is closed, if i start it agin i can download 2 minutes at the connection goes down agin,

I have tried it on orther pc, and there it works fine, but no matther where i take my pc, it will kill the line if im opening utoorent or another tracker,

I hav tried to update and reinstall, the tracker with no luck,

Im using mac OS

Im shure the problem is one the mac, because when orther pc goes online it works fine with an tracker, but not on my computer,,,

pleace help me, Jonathan from Denmark sorry for the bad spellign :)

I didnt read the rest of the thread (it was all bit old anyway) but from my experience with p2p apps - if they opens hundreds of connections at one time to the other peers on the same network then it can 'choke' your router / modem and prevent any other app (like a web browser) from accessing the internet. Have a look if the p2p app has an option to limit the number of connections it maintains at any given moment.

Of course, I could be wrong :D I rarely use p2p networks, most of my experience with them are my darn flatmates..