Bittorrent kills my internet connection

My cousin works for Time Warner Cable and he told me that they scan IP addresses who upload any amount of bandwith over a certain amount of time and kill the connection temporarily if it is high.

This constantly happens to me when i use bittorrent and its very often they kill my connection. If your upload speeds are really low, most often then not your connection wont be killed.

There is no way to fix this but thats the answer you're looking for.

Actually I tried limitting my upload to a very low speed of 5 KB/s and still it happens. Also some of my friends who are on the same ISP are still using Bittorrent without any problem.

Therefore I strongly believe this has something to do with Windows.

check your event log for

<<EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts>>

Its not exactly what I was remember, it was a whole writeup someone did on it, but at least this is a start. If this is the issue.

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools

584777655[/snapback]

It is not that. I already applied the patch for it.

I know you said you're limiting your upload speed. That is good. I've noticed with my cable modem, when I have heavy uploading it really kills my downloading speeds. Some people have also said that many connections would kill the connection. I don't think this is true, but if you want to test that theory out, I know Azureus lets you limit the number of concurrent connections. Try setting it to 1 or 2. I have mine set at 3, with a max total upload of 15 and I can leave Azureus run for days on end.

But reducing the no.of connections greatly reduces the speed.

Also one more thing, when I said bittorrent kills my connections, I meant it both ways (upload and download).

I found the reason for my problem. It is a bcoz a spyware called "Myway.Speedbar" got installed in my pc. I tried cleaning with Ad-aware but problem still continues.

Now each time the net goes down, an error message can be seen in Event Viewer:

Source: Service Control Manager

Id: 7023

"The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:

This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

Anyway to fix this?

I just wrote this big response without realizing someone already suggested this. Oh well . . .

Not sure about your spyware solution, but 99.9% of the time, people have their global upload limit set way too high so it starts to choke your DL speed. Most BT clients measure this in kB while your isp lists it in kb (it sounds better that way). Try dividing your ISP's upload cap by 8 and then subtracting 5 or 10 from that. The number you get should be your global upload limit for your BT client.

That was a pretty rushed response and my math is really just a generalization, but you should get the idea.

Guys, this mystery is getting spooky by minutes.

After going thru all the troubles, I decided to reinstall Windows. I formatted my C: drive and installed Windows XP Pro sp1. But still the problem continues. Event viewer has something like this:

Source: DHCP

Event : 1003

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 004854D0FE99. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Any idea?

I have Road Runner cable 3mbps/384kbps and Windows SP SP2. I have the same problem, I need to stop all bittorrent from uploading/downloading before I'm able to surf again. If not, I'll get a lot of timed out errors. I have set the tcpip.sys value to 100 but the problem still exists. Turning off the firewall didn't help either. I have tried Azureus and Bittornado. I also limit the max upload speed to 30KB/s (240kbps).

I told you what the issue is. Your modem is using firmware older then 4.4.2

firmware for the motorola SB4100/4200 series before 4.4.2 contains a bug whereby when a large influx of ingoing/outgoing connections are made the modems HFC bridge crashes.

There is only 2 ways to restart the HFC bridge.

1. Reboot the modem

2. You have developer firmware on the modem and can login to the console to reboot it.

This is the reason why your modem is locking up and not working again till it's rebooted. If you need help upgrading your firmware you can feel free to PM me.

Guys, this mystery is getting spooky by minutes.

After going thru all the troubles, I decided to reinstall Windows. I formatted my C: drive and installed Windows XP Pro sp1.

584788269[/snapback]

that sux-

even after qumahlin gives u a sollution u format.

ouch.

Depending on your connection etc you'll need to limit the amount of peer connections (usually fixes the problem anyway). I have a Motorola SB4200 and I found 60 max. peer connections works good. Try starting from 60 and move it up slightly if you have no problems, I just haven't bothered to do that bit yet

I've experienced this before, keep up-to-date with the latest Azureus, I found that one of the latest beta's (B60) works quite well, has a new max simultaneous connections configuration which might help your problem, set that to about 10 or so. Or you can just wait for the official new Azureus 2.2.0.0 anytime soon.

I have the same problem with 2 different modems (doesn't matter which one I use) The rca dcm245 and the linksys cable modem (no router built in)

The best explanation i have seen of these effect is that the bit storm or mass of connections cause the modem to lose connectivity to the cable company, lose sync I guess.

I am curious about the surfboard modem how hard is it to update the firmware as I don't think i can update the firmware on either of mine.

I have used sevral bit torrent clients (azureus is the worst when it comes to this issue) and they all cause this problem to one degree or another.

welcome to neowin.

you see, p2p is only half-legal so i hate giving you support for it. so..you know p2p includes uploading aswell..not only downloading..that might kill your line. i know aol doesn't like up- and downloading at the same time.

584772936[/snapback]

P2P is 100% legal, it's what you're moving with it that may or may not be a copyright violation.

In other words grabbing the latest distro of some linux build using BT is 100% therefore saying P2P is 1/2 legal is a falsehood.

That's the kind of thinking that allows legislaters to get moronic laws passed.

Same problem here using Emule. Once I start it, all PC's connected to my router run significantly slower when trying to do anything associated with the internet. I am also looking into some fix and hope that I/someone can come up with something but it's been something I have been looking into for quit a while now with no results.

I've experienced this before, keep up-to-date with the latest Azureus, I found that one of the latest beta's (B60) works quite well, has a new max simultaneous connections configuration which might help your problem, set that to about 10 or so. Or you can just wait for the official new Azureus 2.2.0.0 anytime soon.

584826822[/snapback]

Yeah, CVS .jar's usually addresses these kinds of issues.

• 1 year later...

I have the similar problem, but let me state one thing.

It does not regard only the internet, but the computers conection at all. I can not even ping my router or other computers in my house when the network shuts down. If I kill bittorrent.exe (or any other bittorrent client, the problem concists with every client) the net is sudenly operational again. I just tried the patch, but I have to say I am very surprised it this is what have been bugging me for a year.

I'm sorry to say, but I'm glad I've figured out that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I wont get into too many details about what the patch did to your cable modem, Motorola SB4200 right?, well anyhow formatting your pc wasn't the answer, what basicaly happened is the tcp stack on your modem was changed to something it cant handle, what you need to do is between the ethernet connection and the usb connection in the back of your modem you will notice a small pin hole, that is the reset for your modem, you need to stick a pin in there and reset your modem back to factory defaults, unplug it for about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps

Hmm, Nestor, I don't know if it was me you replied to.

I did not patch my modem, I just upped the allowed number of connection in windows with the patch for the 4226 issue. I have a adsl router btw, seems like most people are on cable modems in america, but not here in Norway. As mentioned, the problem is definitly not my router, since the problem freezes my whole lan-connection.